Poop in pools...follow the rules?? NO swim diapers...period

sharecruises

I tried to reason with that person and it was just not going to happen. People get it in their head that it is their right to do whatever they want because they paid to be on the ship. Rules smules. I guess they really have not experienced what I thought most parents do. The explosive diaper. The one that brings you to your knees. The one that runs out of the diaper and up her back. The one where you feel like the whole family should just jump in the shower to clean off. The one where you walk a half mile holding your kid out in front of you because you are not sure exactly what happened or what to do with it.:D Kidding. I knew what to do.

I agree with some of what was posted. If the rules clearly state that no diapered or swimmer babies, than don't do it! It puts me, my children and everyone at risk! I think bringing your own blow up pool is a great idea! Now, I do pay for my children to cruise, and I expect them to have the same perks as I. (in reason) But, I know right from wrong, I hope I have taught my children the same.

My precious granddaughter who will be 17 months old will be cruising with us in Sept on RCI. She will not get in any pool or hot tub. The reason...we follow rules. They are not made to be broken! Show your intelligence and FOLLOW THE RULES! Or show your ignorance and try to get around them.

I would never want anyone to feel angry about anything my precious granddaughter was doing and by being considerate of others I don't think they will. THINK before you act.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 22 month old daughter will not be in the pool as well becuase she is not potty trained BUT I think the cruise lines should take Disney's lead and have some type of sprinkler system for the little ones. We pay for her to cruise as well so there should be some amenities for the little ones.

Great Job! ... I have your back on this subject, too.

People who think the rules do not apply to them drive me nuts. The worst thing is that they are teaching their little diapered children that it is ok to break the rules, too. They may not be doing it intentionally ... but they are ideed doing it.

You know, can I just add to this topic? When we were on Carnival Elation last month, there were ALWAYS kids in the 18 and only hot tub. And when I say kids, I mean 7-10 year olds.

It was so funny cause MY 6 year old said to me "Mom, why is that kid in the hot tub, the sign says 18 and over" and I looked at her and said "Cause his parents can't read" :rolleyes:

I was going to take a picture of him to show here at CC cause it was just so funny. He is hanging over the side of the hot tub just inches above the 18 and older sign. And of course, his parents were laying on the chairs, relaxing.

I agree wholeheartedly with OP. I will be cruising with my 2 year old this April and she will get nowhere near the pools (she may not even know there are pools). I am not too big on letting my 6 ear old swim either (which is a shame), because of all the rule breakers out there. :eek: It's a great idea though about the little blow-up pools. I didn't think of that until coming to CC.

Sharecruises, I completely agree with your thoughts about how to curb diapers in the pool.....

JMO >> kid in pool with swim diapers?? $100 on your sign and sail bill

clean pool cause of your kid??? $500 fee...

2nd offense?? Family off ship in next port..

do this a couple times and maybe these people will stop this "poop"

and btw...I don't think it is the babie's fault..it is clearly the parent's fault

I think that is a wonderful idea.

To many people now days think the rules do not apply to them, I say charge them!!!

Well this was never an issue for us as the only time I had a little one on board it was too cold to go in pools ( Jan Mexican Riveria, yuck ) ,,, but, I do recall thinking why don't they have a little sprinkler area for babies and toddlers . I mean on our Caribbean Cruises is can get HOT, and will long sea days, and babies not allowed in kids clubs, well they do need something. I think a sprinkler type play area would be nice and easy to keep clean by not recirculating the water and just using an intermittant or low flow. We have those type of toddler sprinkler parks here and never had any problems. No standing water puddles .

PS Pee in the pool is NOT really an issue ,,, meaning as many adults pee in the pool as kids. I watch guys guzzle beer for hours then go in the pool then back to guzzle beer again, where do you think their bladders are being emptied!

Also, perhaps the cruiselines should maintain a better chemical level, I mean apparently they do a haphazard job at maintaining the cholrine levels on some cruiseships.

I hope adults also wash their bottoms well with soap and water( re another posted quote) as I have done laundry for teen boys and seen that toilet paper is not always used thoroughly on them either,( not my kids , did this for others) so lets not get too smug in assuming all fecal germs in the pools are from babies or toddlers.

PSS. I think the OP did an admirable job of researching and supporting her views ,,, but, geesh, what alot of work!

To the above poster.. 99 percent of pools on cruise ships are sea water and not fresh. So there is no chlorine levels to maintain.

( not my kids , did this for others) And thanks for that. It gave me a chuckle.

why don't they have a little sprinkler area for babies and toddlers .

Also, perhaps the cruiselines should maintain a better chemical level, I mean apparently they do a haphazard job at maintaining the cholrine levels on some cruiseships.

!

The new Carnival ship will have a play area for the kids.

Most pools are saltwater and are drained everynight so there is no cholrine in them.

Our 22 month old daughter will not be in the pool as well becuase she is not potty trained BUT I think the cruise lines should take Disney's lead and have some type of sprinkler system for the little ones. We pay for her to cruise as well so there should be some amenities for the little ones.]

Honestly - many of the new ships do have splash play areas. If you have a younger one check out Disney, Carnival, Norweigan and RCCL since they all have some ships with splash areas.

Also Norweigan and Carnival do have kids club for any kids over 2yrs old so you could wait 2 more months to cruise or Disney has a nursery/play area for babies to 3yrs old. Most allow kids under the age of 3 to play in the kids club areas with parental supervision certain times of the day. Many cruiselines also have in room babysitting for any ages.

So I can't see how people can complain about the ship you booked with not having all the amentities you want. You have a choice on which cruise line and ship to go on and if you want to bring your child and give them all the amentities you think they are entitled to, you need to do your research first. I highly doubt Princess, Celebrity and other certain cruise lines are going to incorporate splash areas because they prefer not to have the babies on the cruises to begin with and do not develop cruise ships with them in mind. Harsh but true. Some cruise lines do not even allow kids under 3 on their cruises and some you have to be above 6 and even 13. The older cruise ships from family friendly cruiseliners are not going to be able to incorporate splash areas on their ships without doing a refurb which comes every 5-10yrs if that and then they would have to take something else away.

I mean, I don't want to sound like anti-baby. I love babies and hoping to have one again soon. For now, I research for my 5yr old and find a cruise ship she would like (and would like her.) When I have a baby, I personally will research a cruise ship that gives both of my kids lots of things to do depending on their ages.

AND....

I will not put a diapered baby in the pool - gross!:mad:

To the OP - I completely agree about the fines you set up - PERFECT!!!

i have 2 kids and NO i would not bring my un potty trained daughter in the pool or hot tub, i do wish however that more cruise lines would have something for my daughter to use, i do pay a good amount of money for her to use the high chair while she eats the food that we bring for her. I guess you think smoking should be banned from ships too, that would be fine by me..

• 4 weeks later...

At home, we are Y members, and swim diapers are allowed. But I still take the baby potty regularly and she always goes when I take her, and I know she can hold it between.

NEVERTHELESS... we brought an inflatable for her on the cruise, filled it from the pool, but emptied it into a shower drain.

All that said, I just *love* policies against diapered babies in places where a goodly number of the adults are using depends or other incontinence products.

I'm a little concerned about the compulsive and perseverative style the OP is showing. I'd be happy to recommend a good therapist. ;)

Certainly, this is an issue to take up with the cruise line!

I don't understand why you feel compelled to lecture us ad nauseum about it. Perhaps we're a captive audience, and IRL, people just walk away from you? Again, I'd be happy to recommend a good therapist. ;)

Perhaps you have poop issues? History of especially hostile toilet training? I'd be happy to recommend a good therapist. ;)

Personally, as soon as I learned about this situation months ago when I started reading CC, I resolved to keep my baby out of the pool. I don't much care for being treated like an idiot. Not everyone with a baby is an idiot, just like not everyone with hostile, compulsive, perseverative poop issues...

Deal with this in real life--if you see it happening, report it. Write a letter to your favorite cruise line. Give us a break. I got the message and understand the policy. 99.9% of us do and don't appreciate the lecture. I and my family have just as much right to cruise as you. I follow the rules and plan to continue now that I have a baby and will be cruising with kids.

All types of people break all sorts of rules on cruise lines. If you see rule-breaking behavior, stand up and say something. I'm not sure this is the forum for it. You are only going to reach a small portion of cruising parents this way, and those of us here probably got the message long ago...the first time. Those who didn't should be reported ...for the health of all of us.

We will be cruising in December, and our little one will be 14 months. We will not put her in the pool (and may bring a little blow up one for her to splash in). But this thread has me thinking -- we are just about to register her for swim "lessons" at 6 months old. And all of the public pools in our city offer swim "lessons" starting at 6 months of age. I wonder why they're not concerned about the fecal teabags...

And all of the public pools in our city offer swim "lessons" starting at 6 months of age. I wonder why they're not concerned about the fecal teabags...

Perhaps because they chlorinate the pools in your city. Cruise liner pools usually have salt water in them. You don't add any chemicals to that, so you have to be careful about the gunk that gets introduced.

Perhaps because they chlorinate the pools in your city. Cruise liner pools usually have salt water in them. You don't add any chemicals to that, so you have to be careful about the gunk that gets introduced.

Those pools are probably much bigger and are used by fewer people between cleanings.

Between the heat, sun and possibility of drownings, poop is actually just one item on a long list of reasons why babies and pools should be limited/kept apart.

I know too well how fast things can happen. I asked dh to watch dd, then 18 months while I went for a swim at a hotel pool in Spain. Dh got a phone call and dd wandered off...and fell into another part of the pool. A stranger jumped in and saved her and thanks to him, we have her today. We were both there, with my bil and sil and their two older kids. Enough eyes and it still happened.

May he have good karma forever, that stranger (who said as a dad himself, we would have done the same if it had been one of his kids). Bless him!

Archived