NCL overcharging

cjs01

We took a cruise on the Dream the week before Christmas and we are getting calls from NCL saying they are turning our account over to a collection company becouse we owe money But the credit card company said that they have been payed in full.

Tried calling NCL and after a 45 min wait, I just gave up.

I would call NCL & hold on for as long as necessary & have the info on the credit card charge handy. May want to call the lattitudes # cause it's easier to get through usually (1-800-343-0098). Maybe they can transfer your call. I'd confirm whatever they tell you by certified return receipt letter, if you disagree with what they tell you. Then go from there. Good luck!

1st - get an NCL to fax you the bill of what you (supposely) owe. is it from the intial cruise? or the onboard account?

2nd - companies don't turn it over to collections until after 90 days.

3rd - they won't have let you on the cruise if you weren't paid in full

you need to talk to someone, calmly ask the right questions. AND check your credit report to may sure there are no bad reports on it. but you do need to make sure you talk to someone. never let anything like this wait, you have to deal with it right away. even if it's a mistake, to get it off your credit report is not easy.

I just recently had the same sort of thing happen, although it didn't go so far as NCL going to a collection agency. About a month after our cruise in Sept 06, a mysterious charge appeared on my card. I called NCL several times and got nothing. Then, I posted this irregularity to CC and I called my credit card company. Amex contacted NCL to get verification of the charge in dispute and within 2 days of contacting Amex, NCL called me back to inform me that they were reversing the charge.

We took a cruise on the Dream the week before Christmas and we are getting calls from NCL saying they are turning our account over to a collection company becouse we owe money But the credit card company said that they have been payed in full.

How would your cc company know it was paid in full......maybe NCL has some charges added on that were not paid.....you should check the total NCL is demanding and what the cc company shows as paid.....may be different.

Based on what's given, none of us have any idea what this is all about. Most of us are probably assuming this has to do with the 0n board account. It may even have been paid but not credited right. Fromm NCL to CC, back to NCL and then credit to the account means several people must put in data. Any one of them punch in a wrong number and the money went to John Smith rather than Joe Jones' account.

I just recently had the same sort of thing happen, although it didn't go so far as NCL going to a collection agency. About a month after our cruise in Sept 06, a mysterious charge appeared on my card. I called NCL several times and got nothing. Then, I posted this irregularity to CC and I called my credit card company. Amex contacted NCL to get verification of the charge in dispute and within 2 days of contacting Amex, NCL called me back to inform me that they were reversing the charge.
We had the same thing on HAL last month. When our bill arrived (after we returned) there were about $100 in charges that we are still trying to varify but no one has mentioned a collection agency. NMnita

Perhaps, talk to a supervisor and not a clerk at NCL.

I always assumed that you could not disembark the ship if your bill was not paid in full:confused:

Your credit card company should, most likely, be dealing with NCL.

I'm not sure the Credit Card company could be of much help here. Since according to the CC company, they have paid NCL the amount that was charged to the card. The credit card company can only really help when there is a disputed charge on your card.

It doesn't appear that there is a disputed charge in this case. I think the OP needs to get in touch with NCL to get it straightened out.

I would ask them to email, fax or send you a copy of the entire billing summary for your account, not only including ship board charges but your deposit and final payment as well. Then get the copies of your credit card statements (or bank records if paid by check). Compare all charges made by NCL and basically document where they have been paid. Then if there are no further outstanding charges, that would be what I go to NCL with.

Of course, the question that no one is raising here: could this be a possible scam (not by NCL, but by someone else)?? It seems fishy that any company would go to a collection agency so quickly after a missed payment. Collection Companies cost money to the person owed the money and why would a company go that route just weeks after a missed payment.

It is a well known tactic in business to threaten to turn a deliquent account over to a collection agency even if you don't plan on doing it. Many people see the words "collection agency" and panic right away and pay the bill without checking into it first.

More research is definately needed in this case. The sad part is, if this is a mistaken charge by NCL, (which does happen) the poor OP is the one who is stuck wasting the time clearing the mess up!

I'm not sure the Credit Card company could be of much help here. Since according to the CC company, they have paid NCL the amount that was charged to the card. The credit card company can only really help when there is a disputed charge on your card.

It doesn't appear that there is a disputed charge in this case. I think the OP needs to get in touch with NCL to get it straightened out.

I would ask them to email, fax or send you a copy of the entire billing summary for your account, not only including ship board charges but your deposit and final payment as well. Then get the copies of your credit card statements (or bank records if paid by check). Compare all charges made by NCL and basically document where they have been paid. Then if there are no further outstanding charges, that would be what I go to NCL with.

Of course, the question that no one is raising here: could this be a possible scam (not by NCL, but by someone else)?? It seems fishy that any company would go to a collection agency so quickly after a missed payment. Collection Companies cost money to the person owed the money and why would a company go that route just weeks after a missed payment.

It is a well known tactic in business to threaten to turn a deliquent account over to a collection agency even if you don't plan on doing it. Many people see the words "collection agency" and panic right away and pay the bill without checking into it first.

More research is definately needed in this case. The sad part is, if this is a mistaken charge by NCL, (which does happen) the poor OP is the one who is stuck wasting the time clearing the mess up!

you are right, the OP has to do all the leg work, but I am still confused as to how they got off the ship, where the charges came from and why anyone would threaten to take something like this to a collection agency so soon after the billing or whatever. I wish Op would come back and explain a little more what the charges were and give us some detail. NMnita

you are right, the OP has to do all the leg work, but I am still confused as to how they got off the ship, where the charges came from and why anyone would threaten to take something like this to a collection agency so soon after the billing or whatever. I wish Op would come back and explain a little more what the charges were and give us some detail. NMnita

Details would be helpful - Logically the only unpaid charges would have to be onboard charges. Maybe they originally got posted to the wrong account and are still due.

icon5.gif OP do you have a copy of your final bill onboard and a corresponding charge on your Credit Card ?

Assumption jumping is what turns these threads into fights.

The OP needs to clarify what they mean by "Overcharging" and what exactly is due. Did they contest some onboard charges through their CC and NCL wants that money?

There are way to many scenarios that could be dreamt up.

PE

We had the same thing on HAL last month. When our bill arrived (after we returned) there were about $100 in charges that we are still trying to varify but no one has mentioned a collection agency. NMnita

So, Nita, did you rush over to the HAL board and start a thread titled "HAL overcharging?" ;)

I was double-charged by an on-line sports video provider last weekend. I didn't rush to some on-line forum to tell the world about it. I worked with the provider to get it fixed. This stuff happens all the time. Why someone would think it's worth posting something as trivial as this on the internet is beyond me.

Very good point.

If NCL was REALLY trying get in touch with them they would leave a direct dial number on OP's message so they would not have to wait on hold on the general number. Anytime NCL has called me they leave a direct dial extension to return the call.

PE<--- :confused: ....

So, Nita, did you rush over to the HAL board and start a thread titled "HAL overcharging?" ;)

I was double-charged by an on-line sports video provider last weekend. I didn't rush to some on-line forum to tell the world about it. I worked with the provider to get it fixed. This stuff happens all the time. Why someone would think it's worth posting something as trivial as this on the internet is beyond me.

Of course and I put it on the Celebrity board, Princess, etc: no, of course not, I only mention it here to let it be known these things do happen. We didn't get any calls just our CC bill. Actually we think we have traced it down: they sent us 2 orders of Costa Rican coffee. Does anyone want us to send you some? I don't think we could drink that much in 5 years. LOL

I am having a little trouble understanding why NCL would be calling the OP. Come on, cjs, let's hear from you...NMnita

Guest BeckyThane

It sounds to me like the OP is the target of a possible scam. If NCL had charges that needed to be paid, wouldn't they charge it to the credit card the OP presented upon embarkation? Yet, these charges don't seem to have shown up on the OP's credit card. I'd be particularly wary if the caller asks for any credit card information.

How easy would it be for a scammer to target any one of us on CC in this way? We all get on here and talk about upcoming and completed cruises.

If I were the OP, I'd call NCL and hold as long as necessary to get this cleared up. And, definitely NOT give any credit card information to the caller! Whenever I receive a phone call from someone whose identity is in question (after all, I didn't initiate the call -- I don't know this person from Adam!), I let them tell me whatever they want, but I give no information; I call back the main phone # of the company in question and work it through that way.

It sounds to me like the OP is the target of a possible scam. If NCL had charges that needed to be paid, wouldn't they charge it to the credit card the OP presented upon embarkation? Yet, these charges don't seem to have shown up on the OP's credit card. I'd be particularly wary if the caller asks for any credit card information.

How easy would it be for a scammer to target any one of us on CC in this way? We all get on here and talk about upcoming and completed cruises.

If I were the OP, I'd call NCL and hold as long as necessary to get this cleared up. And, definitely NOT give any credit card information to the caller! Whenever I receive a phone call from someone whose identity is in question (after all, I didn't initiate the call -- I don't know this person from Adam!), I let them tell me whatever they want, but I give no information; I call back the main phone # of the company in question and work it through that way.

Becky, I am with you; I too never give out information. I had a really strange one about a year ago. Our dd and sil lived in Poland for about 2 years and of course I called them every week or they called us. One morning I clicked on the computer and there was a message informing me, someone had been using my account to call Poland and I was to email the informer with information about recent calls to Poland. Guess what, I hit delete asap....Now, back to the Op, we haven't heard a word back so my guess is either he/she is a troll (its been a while since we have had one) 2-he/she did have charges that they had forgotten about or 3-someone is scamming them. I really can't beleive NCL would call them period. They have the OPs cc number, that is all they need to bill them. After that, if the billing is incorrect it is up to the OP to report it to the CC company. Call me a skeptic, but something here is just plain not clicking. NMnita

Call me a skeptic, but something here is just plain not clicking. NMnita

What is not clicking is the lack of information and and all of the assumptions that have been dreamed up.

OP needs to fill in some of the information gaps and then start this circus all over again.

PE<---is not being Very Very Defensive, BH...

I agree the OP needs to contact NCL & find out exactly what the problem is, if there is one. I thought they kept your first born child before they let you off the ship if you still owed them money at the end of a cruise!! Could be a scam by someone other than NCL, could be mistake, could be..... Good luck in getting it resolved.

Ok details.

As every other NCL guest I started my trip owing no money. When we left the cruise we were given an account summary that we aranged to have payed by a major Bank credit card.

We checked online the next business day and it show that the same exact amount as on the summary was payed to NCL. So put it out of our mind.

Now we have received more then one message to my answering machine from NCL and the last one threatned to take the matter to a collection agency.

I have one of those phones that you just have to push a button to recall the last missed call. I did this and was put on hold for 45 min, at the time I hung up, the office should have already been closed for 30 min, which is a problem since I understand the office is open east coast business hours, which is when I am at work.

But my TA is to take care of it Tuesday. I am sure thinking of going on a different line for my next cuise. One who has a better accounting department.

Archived