Rollatators (?sp)

Sashalanda

Have any of you used these? I have problems with balance. Normally on cruises, my hubby has pushed me in a wc, this next cruise I am planning is with my hc mother and just me. I am thinking this would work for me and much cheaper than a scooter. What do you guys think? With the seat attached, I can sit when I get too tired out too. I have neuropathy in both legs and hands so propelling myself in a manual wc isn't possible..far too painful for any length on my hands.

Assuming your mother doesn't need your help to get around, a rollator might be a great idea for you. Look for one that has a basket (usually under the seat) so you can carry some things with you. Also consider getting a pouch attached for small "stuff" that you need to carry. Believe it or not, you can even get clip-on cup holders!

There is also non-slip material that can be put down on the seat, so when you go to the buffet, you can put your plate down and it won't slide. I don't know what the stuff is called, but it's available in rolls, usually next to the drawer liners..in places like Linens N Things or Bed Bath and Beyond. You just cut it to shape...easy and inexpensive!

One word of caution: If you need to lean very hard on your hands while you walk, talk to your neurologist about using a rollator. Putting a lot of pressure on your wrists, which will be bent when on the handles, might cause you problems with the nerves in your hands/elbows. Also, before you buy one, make sure the handles are comfortable for you and make sure you're able to put the brakes on without too much effort. There are many styles of rollators out there!

I have a rollator. I am an unsteady walker. For short distances I use a cane and the rollator for long distances. The seat is very helpful if I get tired. Mine is height adjustable which is good since I am very tall. I do not use the basket on mine as it is under the seat and bending that low causes me to lose my balance.The basket must also be removed to fold the rollator and I think that would be a problem when traveling in a plane. It just stays on a shelf at home. I have a small over the shoulder purse (from magellan's travel supplies) that I use to keep both hands free and for the few things I feel I need to have with me. (A few dollars, pictures of the grandkids, driver's license, lots less than I used to schlep with me.) What really helps with cruising is that the rollator collapses so it is easy to store in the small regular cabins we use. The rollator is really helpful in the airport. I have a collapsible cane that I also always travel with.

I have used a Rollator when I travel for several years now. Mine is a heavy duty one with large wheels. It works much better than the one with small wheels when you walk over the cobblestones on the island.

I like this particular model because it folds up flat and is easy to transport while traveling. I don't use a basket as it would get in the way, but you can place your luggage on the seat as well as a purse.

I wouldn't be able to travel at all without this wonderful device. :D

68100_080_A.jpg

Would love a scooter but with also paying my moms way for this cruise, afraid it looks like it will have to wait. I am watching local papers for used ones though. It has been absolutely impossible to get any answers on door widths except for the hc room. I have been trying to find out the width of balcony doors, mini-suite doors, and suite doors. Otherwise guess I will try to find scooter under the 22" mark like the reg cabin door widths. I'd rather get one that can travel the 25-30 mil range for the peace of mind but those are 24-25 inches. When I travel with my husband or an able bodied person, I can take a regular cabin with my fold up wc. There are so many models anymore its so difficult, that an looking for a used one its not that I have that big of a choice lol. Hopefully one will show up before september but would still take the rollat. with me.

I love the idea for the seat for buffet plates and I know exactly the item you are talking about. That is a fantastic hint! ty ty

Archived