Bath Tours

Years ago we took a train from Londaon to Bath. The area was very easy to get around and we walked around and browsed for the day. If you want a private tour you might want to contact Woodruff Chaufffer cars as they are quite reliable.

Karen

Rick Steves London guide book has good information on Bath. He recommends two nights there, traveling by bus from Heathrow at the start of your trip. Hotels and B & B's are more reasonable than in London. He also has details on the train to/from London. You might see if Rick Steves is a guidebook you want to take with you.

There are free walking tours led by volunteers in Bath. There is also a reasonable hop on/hop off bus tour for £10. London Walks http://www.walks.com , offers an explorer day on Thursday in the summer months via rail from Paddington Station for £43. (£12 pounds for the guide, £31 for the train and admission to the Roman bath). I took this tour in 2001. At that time it was much cheaper than other tours. The London Walks guides are terrific. Check out their other offerings.

If I take a train from London to bath, can I get a bus tour in that town?
If you are only wanting to see Bath, rather than going out into the surrounding areas, you really don't need a car or any other form of road transport. It'll be more trouble than it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Bath bus tour aboard an open-top double-decker that you can catch from the center of Bath.

However, rather than that, I would strongly recommend the Mayor's Guides walking tour that leaves from outside the Pump Room every day at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.--an experience not to be missed; the guides are fabulously knowledgeable and entertaining. And it's free!

I certainly would recommend staying overnight in Bath if time permits. However, be aware that B&Bs and hotels in Bath are more expensive than just about anywhere else outside of London. If you plan on visiting during the summer or during the Bath Music Festival (May 18 - June 3 this year), book ahead.

http://visitbath.co.uk is chock full of information.

Archived