Driving Austin to Galveston - HELP!

benandelena

we are driving round rock (north austin) to galveston for RCI Rhapsody OS 5/6/07. any hints on the fastest way to get through houston? there's a new toll road (130) to bypass 35 in austin and get to 290 - is it worth it? mostly, i just need to know how to get through houston. thanks for any advice!!

We drive Houston (Clear Lake I-45 midway to Galveston) to Austin (Wells Branch @I-35) and back quite often.

Most times we take 290 out of Austin to Houston. At Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway we take that road south all the way to I-45 South which goes right into Galveston. It is a toll road but, if you have gotten an EZtag for the new Austin toll roads, it also works on the Sam Houston.

You can also take 183(?) south to the airport area and hook up with 71 which takes you through Bastrop and LaGrange to I-10 West. That road also connects with the Sam Houston Tollway, which you would take south until you connect with I-45 south.

On a Sunday morning I would take 290 and East on Loop 610 to 45 Southe and then all the way to Galveston. I would not mess with the tollway on a Sunday and be sure to check TXDOT ahead of time for any freeway construction closures planned on the weekend.:)

There are two areas on I45S that may cause a problem, the stretch from Beltway 8 interchange past Dixie Rd overpass to FM 2351. You have 5 or 6 lanes funneling down to 3 lanes. Early on a Sunday, before noon you should not have a problem.

There is construction from Nasa Rd. 1 to FM 518, the League City cut off, traffic moves fairly good but be warned of the narrow lanes.

Springtxbill, said it correct, skip the toll road.

thanks for the info! our ship departs at 5pm, but my fiance is excited and want to be the first ones on the ship lol! of course, he takes 2 hours packing his electronics... should we leave around 7am? i've heard it will take us 3.5hours. thanks again for all the help!

It probably won't make any difference at all, but you may want to see if there are any "leftover" Cinco de Mayo activities anywhere along the route and if there will be an Astros game which can slow things a little on Loop 610.

Hope whoever is driving will take it easy--any kind of trouble on the way could really ruin your cruise, too!

Best Wishes to the Happy Couple

I don't care to drive through Houston, so from New Braunfels I take IH10 to Sealy and take a right on Hwy 36 down to Hwy 90 turning left through Rosenberg and Richmond, then take a right on Hwy 6 at Sugar Land to IH45 which is just minutes north of Galveston Island. Lots of traffic lights in Sugar Land but the traffic isn't bad at all.

Springtxbill has it right. On a Sunday AM, I'd take 290 to the 610 loop (south). take the loop around to I-45 South to Galveston.

Unless there is some construction or something, there shouldn't be too much traffic. Don't worry about a baseball game (as someone stated above), The ball park is down town anyway now and not on 610.

I've never driven from Galveston to Austin (nor the reverse), but I'd give myself 4 hours to be safe. If you leave at 7 , you should be there by 11 without a problem.

Have a Great Trip,

Mike

thanks all. since we are driving on a sunday, i dont expect traffic to be too awful. i'll check the week before i go, make sure there's no sporting events or anything. hopefully all goes well, this is our first time driving to galveston. i hope we can find the ez cruise parking lot ok!

• 2 months later...

If you are a member, AAA has a brochure on the Houston freeways, toll roads, etc with map.

The Sam Houston toll road has me spoiled. But since you are traveling on a Sunday, you could give I45 a shot if you like and are feeling lucky.

On a Sunday morning I would take 290 and East on Loop 610 to 45 Southe and then all the way to Galveston. I would not mess with the tollway on a Sunday and be sure to check TXDOT ahead of time for any freeway construction closures planned on the weekend.:)

I am with bill on this one. That is what I was thinking.

10 does have construction and they are shutting it down a lot but by May, hard to say. I have come thru in both directions on a Sunday without any problem.

I would plan on 4 hours. I live northwest of town, off of 290, and it takes us about an hour and 15 minutes to get to Galveston (but we always take the tollway, just easier for us). It takes a friend in Austin about 2 1/2 hours to get to our house, so adding in for a stop or 2, you're looking at closer to 4 hours.

You *should* be okay just taking 290 into 610 to 45, but that 610/45 interchange causes some headaches every once in a while. Still, you'll be there at about the 3 hour point in your trip, which would be 9-10 am, so you should be okay.

... i hope we can find the ez cruise parking lot ok!
... i may leave an extra half hour early to find the parking lot!...

They have a map on their site http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/. 082502btw_prv.gif, have you made your online reservation to get the discount06.gif

I will be sailing the same day but on Conquest from the other cruise terminal. Y'all will love Rhapsody 'cause I know I did on my last cruise!! It truly is the most friendly ship with a great staff/crew and of course, all those friendly pax from Texas!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

Archived