First-time HAL cruiser returns! OOSTERDAM review

herb

After all the trauma from the December 06 reviews, it was great to hear that you had a great time. We have a cruise on the Oosterdam booked for June 07 in Alaska, so really glad to hear that it doesn't appear to be a downward spiral. Of course, the azipod should be fixed in drydock in Victoria by then, so I guess I have nothing to worry about for our third HAL cruise.

Herb: You have put the "faith" back in our cruise. I was also feeling a bit skeptical because of all the comments made about: "electrical issues", "pod issues", "virus issues"......I should know better since I'm such an adventurous person....the more the challenge the more exciting the adventure!

Terry: See you on the 14th.

[COLOR=indigo]Herb, when they say "obstructed view", just how obstructed was it? [/color]

Thanks for the great review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :)

I just can't seem to get a picture to post on this website! Very frustrating... in any case... check the thread regarding Obstructed view cabins on Noordam. Somehow I managed to post a picture of the cabin. Today it's just not happening for me... sorry :(

Herb: You have put the "faith" back in our cruise. I was also feeling a bit skeptical because of all the comments made about: "electrical issues", "pod issues", "virus issues"......I should know better since I'm such an adventurous person....the more the challenge the more exciting the adventure!Herb, when they say "obstructed view", just how obstructed was it?

Now I remember how to add the link for the pictures I took of the partial obstructed view cabin. It was cabin 4063

(I really wish the photo would just SHOW UP.. instead of having to always click on to the link)

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPJ0%3F87KR6xqpxQQQ0xPePx0PoxQQQ0PeP0PonlQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPJ0%7CRup6Gnn%7C/of=50,590,441

Thanks Herb.....the picture gives me a good idea of what the window looks like.To have the window be floor to ceiling offers great ambient light

If your cabin is towards the front of the ship, you'll have more of a "view". Those lifeboats are the smaller ones, with more space between each.

Actually, we're exactly mid-ship.

"View/schmew", it's more about the ship than anything else. We don't want to spend that much time in our room.

We've had verandah's and, we did liked it. My DH found that it captivated him way too much and he didn't go out and explore the ship as much! Although, he loved just laying back, relaxing and sleeping on his own "window on the world" patio!

Our cruise on the Celebrity Summit was all about the verandah! I don't remember much about the ship!!!!!!!!

Ah! The open sea; there's nothing like it! :p

Great review Herb :)

Thanks for sharing

I remembered you were a little concerned about the dress codes and all the formalities when you first booked. Glad that everything went so well and you had such a great time.

Yes, you're right... when I first booked and came to the HAL forum I thought maybe I had made a mistake because I was given the impression that it would be super formal at dinner.

Everyone dressed nicely for all the evenings, but nothing out of the ordinary or differently than we had encountered in the past... except, as I had mentioned in my review... no baseball caps in the DR :)

Now I remember how to add the link for the pictures I took of the partial obstructed view cabin. It was cabin 4063

(I really wish the photo would just SHOW UP.. instead of having to always click on to the link)

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPJ0%3F87KR6xqpxQQQ0xPePx0PoxQQQ0PeP0PonlQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPJ0%7CRup6Gnn%7C/of=50,590,441

Hello Herb! Thank you so much for the great review and info! We are on the "O" in March and have 3 GUAR cabins booked and a suite cabin. We were wondering if you booked a guar cabin on this sailing? We noticed today the price went down on the HAL web site for our catagory. I am hoping for a decent upgrade since we paid quite a bit more for those 3 cabins, than listed today.

Thanks again,

Teri

Hello Herb! Thank you so much for the great review and info! We are on the "O" in March and have 3 GUAR cabins booked and a suite cabin. We were wondering if you booked a guar cabin on this sailing? We noticed today the price went down on the HAL web site for our catagory. I am hoping for a decent upgrade since we paid quite a bit more for those 3 cabins, than listed today.

Thanks again,

Teri

Hi Teri, we did not book guarantees, I like to know where I'll be, don't care for the guessing and hoping involved when it comes to cabin location etc.

You definitely should get in touch with your TA and advise them that the price for the cabin(s) you booked has gone down; let them know where you saw that information, and you'd like your price to be adjusted. It can't hurt to ask.

Not sure how filled up your cruise is, but I did notice a huge sign near the check-in counters at the pier stating that there were no upgrades and/or cabin changes possible for our sailing. I was actually surprised that a sailing right after New Years would be full... but I guess it was :)

Enjoy your cruise...

Hi Teri, we did not book guarantees, I like to know where I'll be, don't care for the guessing and hoping involved when it comes to cabin location etc.

You definitely should get in touch with your TA and advise them that the price for the cabin(s) you booked has gone down; let them know where you saw that information, and you'd like your price to be adjusted. It can't hurt to ask.

Not sure how filled up your cruise is, but I did notice a huge sign near the check-in counters at the pier stating that there were no upgrades and/or cabin changes possible for our sailing. I was actually surprised that a sailing right after New Years would be full... but I guess it was :)

Enjoy your cruise...

Herb, thanks so much for the information. I did email our TA this morning, so I am still waiting to here from her.

I am with you, we have always booked a specific cabin, but this group wanted to save $$$ and hope for a better upgrade on the 3 cabins. I am very nervous about the guar cabin situation.

Thanks again for the super quick response! Your great!

Teri

Archived