Which car rental company will shuttle from MIA to Port of Miami?

Hi,

I have read on this post somewhere that Alamo will shuttle passengers from the Miami airport to Port of Miami. I booked and called yesterday to confirm and they told me they do not do that. Can somewhat tell me which company does?

I will be in flying into FLL the night before my cruise and have booked a hotel (a bit north of FLL) for the night. It is cheaper to rent a car at the airport, drive to the hotel for the night and then drive down to Miami/Port of Miami to drop off the rental car the next morning.

Please help! Thanks.

We fly to FLL and rent from Enterpirse, they have a drop off downtown and a shuttle to the docks. I recommend the you drop you luggage at the dock and then turn you rental in and take they shuttle back to the dock.

Good Luck,

Izzy

I used Avis in September 06 and they had a great shuttle - but, I have a friend who flew into FLL and drove to MIA -- and was told there is no longer a shuttle (that was this past Sunday). She couldn't find any rental service at MIA that ran a shuttle to the pier any longer. Good Luck!

Hi

I made a reservation at Alamo at the Miami Airport for this coming friday and I E-mailed them for the same reason and here's what they wrote me. The location number is Port Of Miami (MIAP71)

Thank you for your email.

Yes, we have a free shuttle that runs between the Miami International

Airport and the cruise ship piers at the Port of Miami. The shuttle is

scheduled to coincide with the arrival and departures of all scheduled

cruise ships, and it is not necessary to call for pickup. The pickup

service is provided at designated areas outside of the piers; please look

for street signs that indicate bus pickup areas; the shuttle stops at all

piers. If you are departing from the Port you can return your vehicle to

the Airport and then take the shuttle to the Port.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to email us or contact

our reservations department at 1-800-GO-ALAMO (1-800-462-5266). For

customers outside the U.S. and Canada, please dial +1-801-533-4441.

Enterprise has a drop off at the Hyatt Hotel. You can take a cab from there to the port.

We rented a car at FLL and are staying at the Hyatt in Sept. We are flying in the day before, will have the car for a day and then drop it at the Hyatt and take a cab to the pier.

Alamo is the only rental company that has a pickup/drop off that you can choose as Port of Miami. The only thing is, there is no pick up or drop off there - you actually have to go back to the airport and get the shuttle from there. They will shuttle you from the pier as long as your reservation has the Port of Miami as the pick up for the return back after the cruise or as the drop off when you are taking it back (even though you have to take it back to the airport)

Will be renting from Avis, and have been advised that we can drop off at the Downtown MIA location and they will shuttle us to the pier ... we're keeping our fingers crossed. After reading the previous posts, I'm going to e-mail them to get "written promise."

We rented from Hertz at the Miami airport last May (Gold Member) and was never told/read about a shuttle to the pier. We told the folks when we dropped off the car where we needed to go, they said they would call a cab for us... that's it. A staff member even asked us if we would participate in questionaire while we waited.. So this must be new!?

I DO know for a fact they have a free shuttle to and from (port/airfport) in Fort Lauderdale. :) Runs every 15 minutes whilst ships are in port and recommend you let them know ahead of time for pick up. I found out about this info when we had to resolve a issue with the reservation.

We got off the Freedom in Aug 2006 and had an Avis Rental lined up at MIA. They told us that Avis no longer shuttles between MIA and the pier. We saw shuttles lined up for several other car rental agencies going to MIA. If we didn't have free daily coupons and a low corporate rate I would have called the Avis office at MIA and canceled my reservation on the spot and shuttled with one of the others. This is lousy customer service. We wound up taking a cab to MIA. The $20 or so fare was cheaper than the extra we would have paid to some other rental agency. DW was fuming, no way to start the 2nd half of a vacation. When mama's not happy............................:)

Thanks everyone :)

I just called Alamo and this time they told me they do have a shuttle from Miami Airport to the pier... I am now confused:confused: . I have emailed customer service to confirm this and will post as soon as I have an answer.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

Just as promised, here is the email I received from Alamo:

Thank you for your email.

We do offer a free shuttle bus that is available every day between 8 am to 3

pm from the Miami airport over to the port.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to email us or contact

our reservations department at 1-800-GO-ALAMO (1-800-462-5266). For

customers outside the U.S. and Canada, please dial +1-801-533-4441.

Regards,

Natalie

Internet Response

Alamo Rent A Car

Avis has no shuttle service. Hertz is more expensive than any of the other services. Thrifty, Alamo and Enterprise offer shuttle from MIA to port for free as long as you rented a car from them. We also are flying into FLL and staying at Renaissance Ft Lauderdale-Plantation and then continuing to the airport the day of the cruise to drop off the car and go to the port. When we get back, we should be able to hop onto the shuttle to take us back to MIA to pick up the rental car to drive to FLL and then drop it off there.

We've done this twice: fly to FLL, use Dollar Rental. Drive to MIA the next morning and take the shuttle to the pier. Works like a charm. Good rates too -- we get a van cuz there's usually four of us and mondo luggage! Happy sails!

azbirdz - Are you saying Dollar would shuttle us to the Miami pier from the airport? That's great news! We're renting a car (from Dollar) the night before our cruise and been trying to figure out the best option to get from the drop-off (MIA) to the ship. Thanks for that bit of news...

Dollar just told me no shuttle service to Port of Miami. I also called Enterprise. No shuttle. Budget also no shuttle. Avis has none either. Thrifty and Alamo have the shuttles and are reasonable in price. Hertz has one too but I find their rates to be so much higher than Thrifty or Alamo.

Dollar just told me no shuttle service to Port of Miami. I also called Enterprise. No shuttle. Budget also no shuttle. Avis has none either. Thrifty and Alamo have the shuttles and are reasonable in price. Hertz has one too but I find their rates to be so much higher than Thrifty or Alamo.

Do not confuse the fact that a rental agency does not shuttle from the airport to the port as the same as them not shuttling to the port from their downtown Miami offices. Enterprise will (with prior arrangement) allow you to rent from any FL location and drop off at their downtown Miami office (about 1/2 mi from port). They then have a shuttle that will take you to the ship for free. They give you a number to call when you get back so they come pick you up for free to get your car for your retun trip. I know this, because I did it. I rented from FLL to Miami and back again ($35 a day each way total) Alamo had a similar offer at the time also. There was a third company that would do it, but I can't remember who.

My point is do not deal only with the airport offices most of these companies have offices downtown and if you get a one way rental (Enterprise and Alamo do not charge for this, otheres may do it also) you can drop off at the office that does offer the shuttle. (and since the downtown office doesn't have to pay airport fees they can be cheaper)

Michelle: That is true. They do have a downtown drop off but they told me no free shuttle to the port. But that was not the local drop off location telling me that. And they did have the best rates, plus can save even more with entertainment coupon. Why didn't the reservationist tell me of this shuttle. I did ask and he said NO shuttle. So I will call the local drop off . Thanks\ I have them on yhr line now and they told me they do not pay taxes for the port thus are not allowed into the port area and will not provide any shuttle to the port of miami. Maybe this changed since your last cruise but that is what it is now.

Michelle: That is true. They do have a downtown drop off but they told me no free shuttle to the port. But that was not the local drop off location telling me that. And they did have the best rates, plus can save even more with entertainment coupon. Why didn't the reservationist tell me of this shuttle. I did ask and he said NO shuttle. So I will call the local drop off . Thanks\ I have them on yhr line now and they told me they do not pay taxes for the port thus are not allowed into the port area and will not provide any shuttle to the port of miami. Maybe this changed since your last cruise but that is what it is now.

Mark, not Michelle... THey did have a shuttle running when we were there, and acctually when we came back we did not have to call for the ride because the shuttle was already at the port.

Now when I called origianally they told me no shuttle on the phone that they would drive us there in the car or call us a taxi at their cost, not mine, (Enterprise ALWAYS does this for pick up and drop off) so I was surprised to see the shuttle but there it was.

Also when I called for the car on the return day I was quoted $94, when I called the Miami office directly they quoted me $35, so I think the National doesn't know what their local office does.

Archived