Beach Safe/Water Wallet Question

Atty

I'm looking at buying a water wallet type of thing. I like the look and hard case of the Cruise Critic version on the site but was wondering if others have seen the same type of thing but just a little bigger so that a small digital camera would fit in?

Thanks

Went to REI today looking for a water wallet - they didn't have any this time of year but they did have waterproof pouches for electronics - GPS, cell phones, cameras, etc....

I picked a size that would let me put in a coin purse, sunglasses, and small tube of sunscreen - I'll be able to have it all with me while I snorkle and cave tube.

On our last cruise, one lady lost hers when the clasp on the straps came loose while she was snorkling. We all lined the sides of the catamaran looking and luckily, someone spotted it bobbing along almost out of sight. If it had been colored blue or if she had noticed later than she did that it was gone, it would have been a disaster! :eek:

Make sure that the clasp is good and strong. We fasten the clasp and also tie a knot in it just to make sure.

Bought two from Cruise Critic a couple of years ago. Neither one worked --- the clasp did not pull the top down tight enough so that the rubber o-ring sealed to prevent water from entering the box.

Wound up putting my stuff in a zip-loc baggie, and then in the box. Didn't seem worth the trouble.

• 2 years later...

I'm a first-time cruiser so I'm not sure when you really need something like a water wallet. When you are on a snorkeling trip, do they have a safe place to leave your valuables on the boat? Since I'm going on a NCL-sponsored excursion, I won't need to have anything except a digital camera and my room key, and I don't plan to take that camera underwater with me.

Any thoughts?

Just purchased two from aquapack (see email address above) for our upcoming cruise - One is small - just big enough for credit card and some cash - other one is bigger - enough to hold small digital camera and passport info. Hopefully, they will work - sure wouldn't want to put camera in one and find out it didn't work. Will test in sink to ensure it works although I'm sure if a camera got wet at all, it would be ruined.

In my experience on several cruise lines when we go on water tours your personal belongings are safe on the boat. We don't bring alot of cash with us just in case.

FYI I am buying a floating strap for my waterproof camera as I have heard they work well so your camera won't sink:)

Andrea

Archived