Stewards - Back to the Floor

bUU

We just watched the current episode of Back to the Floor on PBS:

"Back to the Floor "Carnival Cruises" Bob Dickinson boards a Carnival Cruise ship to work various jobs to see if his staff can deliver quality service at low prices."

It was very very interesting, and we learned a few things that we had never read anything about yet.

Two things had to do with the Stewards. This was Carnival of course, and we're cruising Royal Caribbean, so I'll post this question there too.

One of things was the stewards' hours... What hours can we expect them to be available on the deck. It seemed, at least at that time, on that ship, that the answer would be 8am-noon and 4pm-10pm. How does that stack up with respect to Royal Caribbean?

The other thing had to do with the stewards' helpers. It was made clear that the steward hired their own helpers, and paid them a guaranteed amount (regardless of how much or little they got in tips). How common is that?

On a couple of occasions I've noticed that our cabin steward had a helper. They were dressed in the uniform that denoted "general maintenance" staff. I assumed it's just a way to make a few dollars and get some training.

Your steward will let you know what hours he or she will be available. There is also a card in your cabin that will have your steward's pager number if you need anything. During the day, you can always call room service if you need anything.

I have not seen any recommendation (or requirements) to tip the steward's helper (if the steward has a helper, there is a lot more cabins assigned to the steward and a lot more money in tips, which the steward shares in some proportion with the helper).

Wes

You're correct wieslaw. The steward on the program I mentioned made it very clear that the tip is to the steward, and it is the steward's responsibility to pay the helper. She made it clear, also, that the helper gets a set amount, not a portion of the tips. So the steward is especially hard-hit by being stiffed: The steward not only doesn't get paid for that work, but still has to pay the helper.

Your waiter gets off from noon til 5 on royal. But there is a pager number if you need something. Remember they are ont he floor at 5:30am to do the laundry. If you need something- leave a note on the mirror or the bed. They will see it and take care of your promptly.

Archived