Lodging in Anchorage

MeganMamaw

Since we will be arriving so late in the evening on the train from Seward I wanted to know the closest hotel to the station. We will only be there 1 night and then off to Denali in a rental car. Do you recommend doing Priceline or another bidding website to reserve hotels or straight through to the hotels?

Since we will be arriving so late in the evening on the train from Seward I wanted to know the closest hotel to the station. We will only be there 1 night and then off to Denali in a rental car. Do you recommend doing Priceline or another bidding website to reserve hotels or straight through to the hotels?

Hotels

Comfort Inn Ship Creek

$150 to $250, Downtown

Book It Guest Rating: rants_3.5.gif3.5

Rate It middlespacer.gif Ship Creek gurgles past this popular family hotel, a short walk northeast of the Alaska Railroad depot. Rooms, which can be a bit noisy at times, come in a variety of configurations. A substantial Continental breakfast is served each morning, and the lobby features an enormous brown bear. The hotel stocks a limited number of fishing poles for those who want to try their luck catching salmon in Ship Creek, just a few steps away. www.comfortinn.com. 88 rooms, 12 suites. In-room: kitchen (some), refrigerator. In-hotel: pool, gym, some pets allowed (fee), Internet. AE, D, DC, MC, V. Continental breakfast.

Address: 111 Ship Creek Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501, USA

Phone: 907/277-6887 or 800/424-6423

Fax: 907/274-9830

Priceline and Hotwire are good sites to find less expensive hotels (I got the Extended Stay Deluxe in downtown Anchorage for next summer for $37-$50/night plus taxes) but if you want the "closest" hotel to the train station or have other restrictions/conditions, it is hard to use priceline and hotwire. The reason - you don't know the name or exact location of the hotel until your credit card is charged. However, you will know the boundaries of the "zone" within which your hotel would be located.

You can always check hotwire for current prices (they give you the prices and quality level of the hotel) and priceline usually costs less than hotwire. Note that hotwire often rates hotels as a higher quality level than priceline. So a 2-1/2* on hotwire might only be a 2* on priceline for example.

John

We are staying at Days Inn for $100 (about 5 blocks from train station) in June... nothing fancy but we will get there at 10:00 or so Friday eve after leaving a rental car at the airport and on a train at 10 the next a.m. so were just looking for a place to crash for the night

We are staying at Days Inn for $100 (about 5 blocks from train station) in June... nothing fancy but we will get there at 10:00 or so Friday eve after leaving a rental car at the airport and on a train at 10 the next a.m. so were just looking for a place to crash for the night

I am staying at the Days Inn one night in Anchorage too. I got it free through their Best Rate Guarantee - I found it cheaper on another website than Days Inn's own site. It gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but as you say, I will also be there only one night and just need a place to crash before flying to Katmai the next day.

I have seen rates at this hotel between $67 and $140/night for July.

• 2 months later...
I am staying at the Days Inn one night in Anchorage too. I got it free through their Best Rate Guarantee - I found it cheaper on another website than Days Inn's own site. It gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but as you say, I will also be there only one night and just need a place to crash before flying to Katmai the next day.

I have seen rates at this hotel between $67 and $140/night for July.

Hi fti, Do you mind if I ask what website you got the lower rate on?

Thanks!!

Hi there! A lot of information about Anchorage hotel accommodations has been shared on another thread on the "Alaska" board--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=483478

The title is Anchorage hotel with kids; however, discussion has gone beyond that limitation.

Our group is staying at two different properties in July. The Anchorage Grand Hotel, which is on a hilltop overlooking the depot and the Voyager Inn, which isn't too far away.

Good luck!

Eileen

Hi fti, Do you mind if I ask what website you got the lower rate on?

Thanks!!

Honestly I don't recall. I think it was Travelocity but a month or so after getting the best rate guarantee from Days Inn I checked rates on a couple of sites compared with Days Inn's site and they were all the same. So most likely they made sure that mistake didn't happen again!

John

I frequently stay at the Ramada's since they have free shuttle to/from both the airport and depot, can be a considerable savings. Especially the one on Muldoon, although out of downtown, it does have a breakfast included and convenient self laundry. :) Easy to do some laundry while the other, picks up the car.

I thought the Days Inn dumpy, the one time I stayed there, so so at best even with my low standards. :) Certainly could have changed.

Archived