Please help BQ with tentative itinerary

MeganMamaw

Hi BQ! I have enjoyed reading all your advice on the forum. Could you please look at our intinerary and make some suggestions? This is our first time to Alaska and it's our 20th Anniversary. We are traveling with BIL and SIL for a 7 day cruise and on our own 5 day land tour.

Booked with Princess and have a BC on Baja deck. We are taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver to board the Sapphire.

Land Tours:

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords/ Allen Marine Tours (41/2 hrs)

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Tour - (should we take the tour or just take the express to the visitor center? )

Skagway - White Pass RR with Chilkoot Charters

Land Tours:

Transport to Seward to Kenai Fjords exursion. Take train to Anchorage that evening and spend the night in Anchorage.

Rent a SUV - High Country Car & Truck and drive to Denali

Reserved the Denali Lakeview Inn - Healy

Denali Park Shuttle to Wonder Lake (do we take lunch & Snacks?)

McKinley Jeep Backcountry Safari - Trapper Creek?

Do you have any other suggestions for Denali Park area to check out?

I am sure since this is our first Alaska adventure there will be many more questions. Hopefully I won't bug you too much!

Thanks for all of your help!

Land Tours:

Transport to Seward to Kenai Fjords exursion. Take train to Anchorage that evening and spend the night in Anchorage.

Rent a SUV - High Country Car & Truck and drive to Denali

Reserved the Denali Lakeview Inn - Healy

Denali Park Shuttle to Wonder Lake (do we take lunch & Snacks?)

McKinley Jeep Backcountry Safari - Trapper Creek?

Do you have any other suggestions for Denali Park area to check out?

I am sure since this is our first Alaska adventure there will be many more questions. Hopefully I won't bug you too much!

Thanks for all of your help!

Well I am not BQ but hope you'll accept comments from others too.

In Seward be sure to take a Kenai Fjords excursion that is at least 6 hours long. There is the Kenai Fjords NP and there is also a company called Kenai Fjords that runs the day cruises. Renown and Kenai Fjords (the company) both have 2-for-1 coupons in Toursaver.

You must take all your own food and drink on the shuttle bus. I think it is great you are going to Wonder Lake. If at all possible I strongly suggest you (1) take an early shuttle to Wonder Lake and (2) get off the bus. You didn't say when your trip is but if you go before early to mid August, you can run into mosquitos near Wonder Lake. BQ won't go there before the mosquitos are gone, but my suggestion is to be prepared and don't miss the opportunity to go there. Take 100% DEET and maybe even the mosquito nets you can buy at Wal Mart for $2. If you take an early enough bus to Wonder Lake, you can have up to 6 hours near there for hiking and exploring though 3-4 hours would be more than enough. You can hike the McKinley Bar Trail (ask the driver to point out the trailhead and/or to let you off there - it is very close to where the bus stops going to Wonder Lake). If it is a nice day and Mt. McKinley is "out" a walk to reflection pond and/or even a little further west toward Kantishna would be beautiful. Even if the mountain is not out, it would be a nice stroll along the road - very easy.

How many nights are you near Denali? I hope two nights. The day you arrive and/or the day you leave you can check out the entrance area of Denali NP - the visitor center with good exhibits and film, some hiking trails near the park entrance or the sleddog kennels.

You might also consider a stop in Talkeetna on your way. It is a quaint town that deserves at least a couple of hours of your time. Many people spend the night, though I prefer to spend more time in/near Denali.

Sounds like a great trip.

John

Your itinerary is well planned. Be certain that you can be out of Whittier by 9am and arrange your trasport direct to your boat tour at 11:30am. This is your only option for making the same day train back to Anchorage.

In no way do you need an SUV where you are going. For cost savings a regular compact car works fine. :)

As already stated, you do need to bring in ALL your own food and drink on the park shuttle buses. Factor in extra- it can be a long day. :) Your last full service grocery stop is Wasilla, consider Walmart, Fred Meyer or Safeway. A 4 pack of muffins is always on my list, along with a load of nice bread and peanut butter and jelly- pick up/bring a plastic knife. I don't have to worry about any spoilage or sog. :) (can't do the subs without eating them soon after purchase) . Wonder Lake is a great choice- on your way- just remember the ranger station at Savage River and all that you experience beyond that. You're going where all the NHT people miss. :(

Thanks Cool Cruiser & Budget Queen! It's tough making the decisions for a group especially when none of us have been to Alaska. Also I noticed everyone talks about the Toursaver but when I checked online there are quite a few that expire the end of August. Our trip is from August 25th - Sept. 1st on the ship and Sept. 1st - 6th on land. Any other couple saver books? Thanks Again!!

Archived