Haiti - State Dept Travel Warning

chaswelf

I just received this from Lifesource:

Thank you for your interest to help others by donating blood.

Per LifeSource donor eligibility guidelines, if your stay in Labadee, Haiti was less than 6 consecutive months, you would be eligible one year after your return to the U.S.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Almina Mizzi, R.N.

LifeSource Blood Services

Donor Relations (Counseling)

ok BUT.. what if you didn't get off the ship?

Personally..Labadee is not one of my favorite ports and if I happen to book a cruise with that as a stop I use that day for my spa day- half price off treatments on port days too is also a boost. Although I hear ANY form of International Travel gets you booted off the Donor list anyways...

. Although I hear ANY form of International Travel gets you booted off the Donor list anyways...

This isn't true. Its only travel to certain places....and Haiti is one of those places.

from the Red Cross Website

Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration

Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD). Learn more about vCJD and donation. Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group O. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

Wait a minute- did you say if you don't get off the ship on a port day then the spa treatments are half price?? I have never heard that before and I am getting ready to do my first cruise. That woudl make a difference in my plans. Is that for all RCI ships?

Archived