European Cruise Next Year

louiseb74

Hi

My husband is totally blind and I am not far from being the same. We are looking at travelling on either Princess Cruises or Royal Caribbean Cruise in Europe around September 2007.

Can anybody tell us if one cruiseline is more disability friendly than the other?

Also do the disabled staterooms have the higher toilet seats than the "normal" height toilet seats? I have cruise in Australia before and they allocated us to a disabled room the only catch was I am very short and the toilet was very high. We weren't a good match and the cruise was full!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any other tips you have for us when booking our cruise and dealing with the cruise line about informing them of disability etc would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Happy Cruise thoughts

Louise :p

I do not have vision problems so I cannot respond in that context. However I have been very pleased how I have been treated on Princess. I have walking difficulty and use a rolling walker. I do not book handicapped rooms as I can still manage the step into the bathroom and would feel bad if I prevented someone who was a full-time w/c user from getting that room. In the regular rooms the toilets are quite low but there are hand holds that I can use to assist me to stand. I hope this helps.

I do not have vision problems so I cannot respond in that context. However I have been very pleased how I have been treated on Princess. I have walking difficulty and use a rolling walker. I do not book handicapped rooms as I can still manage the step into the bathroom and would feel bad if I prevented someone who was a full-time w/c user from getting that room. In the regular rooms the toilets are quite low but there are hand holds that I can use to assist me to stand. I hope this helps.

From my experience, handcapped bathrooms have raised toilet seats to accommodate people in wheelchairs. They do have hand rails near the seat to assit in sitting and standing. That may be helpful for you.

Not sure about your main issue...............my husband has a mobility disability, but no problem with vision.

I'd call both cruise lines and speak with their special services devision to ask very specific questions regarding your needs.

Good luck and have fun traveling.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I also have physical disabilities which means I require some help showering etc. Are the bathroom on these cruiselines spacious enough for someone else to be in the bathroom at the same time as me?

Thanks

Thanks for the responses so far.

I also have physical disabilities which means I require some help showering etc. Are the bathroom on these cruiselines spacious enough for someone else to be in the bathroom at the same time as me?

Thanks

Only the handicap cabins would be large enough.

Archived