Elation cruisers--info on GT Reef and Rays trip????

Sunshineaddict

Hello!

I posted this in the snorkeling forum as well......does anyone from a recent Elation cruise know about the Grand Turk Reef and Rays excursion? Is it worth it or should I just go on my own off the beach??

Also, does anyone have info on the horseback riding on HMC?

I realize this itinerary is new and so I have waited patiently to find out anything. The snorkeling and ports of call boards are really quiet and no one has responded to previous posts with this question. One last shot here on Carnival board (before it gets moved out!:))

Thank you!!!!

Although I enjoy snorkeling (note my username) and I normally bring my own snorkeling gear on my annual cruises, I was there last week on the Elation and I chose the dune buggy excursion instead because I live in south Florida and I don't go in the water unless it is 80 degrees or warmer. I think you can expect temps in the water around 77 or 78, so if that is warm enough for you (I see that you are from North Florida), then go snorkeling. I spoke with 8 people who went snorkeling via one of the ship's excursions (the Gibbs Cay stingray one) and they all loved it.

I have snorkeled with stingrays and sharks in the Caymans and Belize, so I didn't mind missing this, but if you want to snorkel, I would probably go on the Gibb's cay excursion.

I also suggest that you post your question in the PORTS of call forum (there is one for Grand Turk).

I saw people horseback riding in HMC but I never spoke to them. I read some reviews about how the guides race the horse through the water and some people didn't like that. I only saw the horses a few minutes, and when I did they were in the water and walking slowly.

We sailed the Elation last week. We brought our own gear. The water didn't feel cold to us, it was refreshing, but we are from Chicago - so it is all relative. We took a taxi to Governor's beach. It can be walked, but it was hot and you can't walk up the beach, it is obstructed. As you look at the ocean, you will see a curve to the beach on your right. We walked past that curve and snorkeled from the beach. The reef starts just off the beach. We swam out to where the reef excursion boats were, but stayed a short distance away to avoid the crowd. We saw some interesting fish, a gigantic lobster and a couple of eels. We saw a few jelly fish, but we weren't bothered by them. It wasn't the best snorkeling we have done, but we really enjoyed it.

We did this tour last Oct---very nice and worth the money. Usually dont do CCL excursons, but did want to hang out at Margaritaville all day.

Think you wil like it,saw a lot of fish at the reef and the sting rays were in really shallow water.

Although I enjoy snorkeling (note my username) and I normally bring my own snorkeling gear on my annual cruises, I was there last week on the Elation and I chose the dune buggy excursion instead because I live in south Florida and I don't go in the water unless it is 80 degrees or warmer. I think you can expect temps in the water around 77 or 78, so if that is warm enough for you (I see that you are from North Florida), then go snorkeling. I spoke with 8 people who went snorkeling via one of the ship's excursions (the Gibbs Cay stingray one) and they all loved it.

I have snorkeled with stingrays and sharks in the Caymans and Belize, so I didn't mind missing this, but if you want to snorkel, I would probably go on the Gibb's cay excursion.

I also suggest that you post your question in the PORTS of call forum (there is one for Grand Turk).

I saw people horseback riding in HMC but I never spoke to them. I read some reviews about how the guides race the horse through the water and some people didn't like that. I only saw the horses a few minutes, and when I did they were in the water and walking slowly.

Hey snorkelman another Floridian here, so I appreciate your comments regarding water temp. this time of year. I swim daily in an outdoor heated pool 80-82 and since I'm swimming laps I find it warm. We leave Saturday 1/20 on Elation to GT & HMC and we were thinking of doing snorkeling in both ports but now you have my interest peaked on the dune buggie excursion.

Can you post or e-mail me some details about your excursion. I respect a fellow FLoridan's recommendations especially since we are both water people and if you've ever snorkeled or scuba dived in the Keys you know what I mean about not wanting to be disappointed with the snorkeling in GT or HMC. Thanks.

Susan hogladyrider@hotmail.com

Hey snorkelman another Floridian here, so I appreciate your comments regarding water temp. this time of year. I swim daily in an outdoor heated pool 80-82 and since I'm swimming laps I find it warm. We leave Saturday 1/20 on Elation to GT & HMC and we were thinking of doing snorkeling in both ports but now you have my interest peaked on the dune buggie excursion.

Can you post or e-mail me some details about your excursion. I respect a fellow FLoridan's recommendations especially since we are both water people and if you've ever snorkeled or scuba dived in the Keys you know what I mean about not wanting to be disappointed with the snorkeling in GT or HMC. Thanks.

Susan hogladyrider@hotmail.com

You wont be disappointed with the snorkeling at GT---Fl girl here also.

Thank you, Snorkelman, ilovedoxies and 19snapshot! I appreciate the insight and advice on the snorkeling. (I apologize for the delay in thanks--I don't have internet all that often!)

I don't think water temp will bother me that much--I'm more concerned about the clarity of it!! I have that fear of not seeing what's bumping into me! LOL Although I live 8 miles from Jax beach, I haven't been there too often....the water is a little dark, so I won't go past my knees.....yet.

I'd actually be interested in more info about this excursion. We're thinking about it for us and the kids. Only problem is the older kid has a fear of water that we're trying to break him of. He'll be going into the water, but we don't want to overwhelm him. We'd like to do this excursion, but if the snorkeling part involves water deeper than about 5.5 feet, we can't do it with him, as he won't be able to touch bottom and that will totally freak him out. Anyone know how deep they take you? If it's too deep, we'll probably just do some research and find something to do on our own...

I'd actually be interested in more info about this excursion. We're thinking about it for us and the kids. Only problem is the older kid has a fear of water that we're trying to break him of. He'll be going into the water, but we don't want to overwhelm him. We'd like to do this excursion, but if the snorkeling part involves water deeper than about 5.5 feet, we can't do it with him, as he won't be able to touch bottom and that will totally freak him out. Anyone know how deep they take you? If it's too deep, we'll probably just do some research and find something to do on our own...

Just returned this morning from our cruise to HMC & GT......regarding your question of snorkeling and the young one and the water depth.

I would recommend that you snorkel from shore at HMC, the water is pristine and just gorgeous, let him muster up some confidence. Our shore excursion in HMC was canceled do to 4' seas so we snorkeled from shore and had a wonderful time.

GT we did the Ultimate Snorkeling tour by boat. I would not recommend this for young children. There are two stops, and depending on weather conditions, the current can be an issue as well as the swells. We had 3' swells and a healthy current that took you too the reef but remember you have to swim back to the boat against the current after snorkeling or 35 minutes. The water was 12-15' deep at both stops.

Carnival offers a snorkeling tour "power snorkeling" that is done from the beach in Grand Turk which you might want to try.

You can also have the young one use his snorkel gear at Margarittaville pool which is 3-1/2 feet and absolutely gorgeous to build up some confidence.

Thanks for the info. :) Unfortunately the "young one" is not very young. :) He's 13, just started shaving, and is about 5'9" tall and growing like the proverbial weed. This is a very childish fear that he has but, unfortunately, living in landlocked Colorado there isn't much of a way to address it easily. He has swam in deep pools before and done just fine. He can tread water and can swim fairly well. It's the waves he worries about, apparently. (This is what he told me last night when we were all talking about excursion possibilities; I think he was envisioning North-Shore-of-Hawaii kind of waves here, not the little Carribbean swells that sometimes become little waves. I showed him some pictures and he felt much better.) He also doesn't really like putting his whole head underwater. He says he's OK with putting his face in to see fish, but he doesn't want his entire head under. His younger and (for now) much smaller brother, on the other hand, will be doing cannonballs, swan dives, and somersaults off the back of the boat if he's not stopped in time. :)

So, after discussing it with the fearful kid, we did go ahead and book the Reef and Rays excursion. He's actually cautiously excited about it. I told him that he wouldn't be able to touch bottom, but that since the water in the Caribbean is so clear he might be able to SEE the bottom, and he was comfortable with that. He was also kind of stoked about going and buying snorkel equipment, which we'll be doing this weekend. (I know they provide it, but we'd like to use our own.)

One question, though: Was I telling the truth that he'd be able to see the bottom or at least most of the way to it? I know that it's kind of dependent upon the weather and the roughness of the water and all, but I was assuming that the area we'd be taken to would be fairly clear, just because if it isn't you won't be able to see much when snorkeling. So...did I tell him the truth? :) If not, he'll deal. Even if it requires a kick in the butt. :)

Nightwind, I was going to direct you to my original post in the Grand Turk forum, but I see you were there already :)

The review of this posted over there mentioned the vests they give you to snorkel. You can fill them as much as you want/need with air to give some extra support in the water. I've never used one, but the lady's hubby did and he was also a little fearful of the open water. I think using a vest or knowing he can use one may help your DS.

Also, I am very much like him, even in my 30's--can't go in without some trepidation unless I can see the bottom (or at least my own submerged feet!). I've been snorkeling as far "north" as Marathon Key in FL and the water was pretty clear there, so I don't imagine he will have any issues seeing the bottom in GT.

I'm a newbie snorkeler, and had some fears at first, but once I got in the first time, I was HOOKED on it and can't wait to get there next week!!

I hope you and your family have a great time!

Archived