Confused about Denali Shuttle-One Way...

suzyq964

I'm looking at the Toklat Shuttle Bus and it reads--

Toklat 53 Miles One Way, 6 hrs Round Trip, adult: $19.50

What does the "One Way" mean when it shows a 6 hr round trip. Is the price of $19.50 for one way or round trip?? If it only goes one way--what do you do once you get there & how to I get back to Princess Lodge? Will be in Denali from May 28 11a till May 29th 3:30p.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous ?, but it seems confusing to me...HELP!!

Also, how can I tell if the other shuttle will be running during this time?

Thanks

Sue

It's just stating you'll travel 53 miles into the park one-way, but your round-trip shuttle excursion is a total 106 miles, taking approximately 6 hours to complete the round-trip.

They won't kick ya off and say find your own way back, I promise! ;) I agree, that can be confusing to read they way it's worded.

Price posted is for the round-trip total.

The Tour bus offers food/drink and narration, the shuttle offers no food/drink, but the shuttle driver we had shared plenty of information about the park and animals. We were quite happy with it, and took our own lunch fixin's. Though we were there after June 1st and able to travel to mile 63.

It means it is 53 miles from where you board the bus at the Wilderness Activities Center (not far from park headquarters) to the Toklat stop. It is three hours each way for a total of a six hour trip. The $19.50 is the round trip fare.

Princess and Holland American's hotels run shuttles to where you board the bus. It is also a one mile walk on an asphalt paved trail.

If by the other shuttle you mean the concessionaire-sponsored Tundra Wildlife Tours, those should also be going to Toklat. The park road really doesn't fully open to further destinations until the first few weeks of June.

what do you do once you get there & how to I get back to Princess Lodge? Also, how can I tell if the other shuttle will be running during this time? Thanks Sue

You are allowed to get off the shuttle bus and back on any other shuttle bus if you want to get out and do a bit of hiking/walking. I would strongly encourage it - if even just on the park road. People rarely do it but it really is fun. You can catch any other shuttle bus back to the park entrance. That time of year it should be no problem to get another bus (sometimes in the summer the first bus is full so you have to wait for a second one, but they come more often in the peak summer time too).

You can check shuttle bus times at www.nps.gov/dena and try to make a reservation.

Being in the park as long as you are, you could take a shuttle the afternoon of May 28 and another one the morning of May 29 - that might be especially good if the first day you didn't see much wildlife and/or Mt. McKinley wasn't out. Or spend one of the days near the park entrance - visitor center, hiking trails near the park entrance, etc.

Thank you so much for the replies, it makes more sense now & sounds like a much better option than the Natural History Tour that Princess has us booked on! The people on this board are wonderful and you've helped me so much. I just can't believe all the information--the people are so nice & willing to share. Thanks again

Sue

Thank you so much for the replies, it makes more sense now & sounds like a much better option than the Natural History Tour that Princess has us booked on! The people on this board are wonderful and you've helped me so much. I just can't believe all the information--the people are so nice & willing to share. Thanks again

Sue

I will guarantee you, it is FAR superior to the NHT. :) You should have a good amount of wildlife sightings, early in the season, they are "lower". Necessary is a good pair of binoculars, at least 10 power and wide angle is a big bonus. Day 2, if you don't want to go into the park, you can ride the distance of the NHT, on the free Savage River shuttle, also consider the sled dog demo.

So when you are on the shuttle bus- remember this board when the Park Ranger gets on board, takes the count and welcomes you to Denali Park. ALL your following adventures past this point would not have been possible on your NHT.

Do you think we will get the 53 miles on Toklat that early in the season? I haven't posted much on here, but I've read tons & I know that you are one of the "experts"! And if I hadn't discovered this board, I wouldn't even have known that Princess "dumped" us on a worthless, pricey tour. We all want to get the most bang for our buck & see the best we can while visiting this AWESOME state!!!

Sue

Do you think we will get the 53 miles on Toklat that early in the season? I haven't posted much on here, but I've read tons & I know that you are one of the "experts"! And if I hadn't discovered this board, I wouldn't even have known that Princess "dumped" us on a worthless, pricey tour. We all want to get the most bang for our buck & see the best we can while visiting this AWESOME state!!!

Sue

Yes, end of May, you will get the 53 miles in. Fish Creek opens June 1, mile 63, and they don't clear that 10 miles in a day. :)

Archived