tipping at alternative restaurants

nikita

On my Disney cruise (almost 5 years ago), we were told that part of the surcharge (I believe it was $5 or $10) was for the tip for our servers in the specialty restaurant. FYI we were also given info about how to figure out the tip for our regular servers since they served us 1 less night because of this. (That was when tips were figured separately for each individual rather than by the day).

It's up to you. It certainly isn't required. However, if the service is exceptional (which it usually is), I chose to show my appreciation for the specialized service. I know I've paid for the experience over and above the price of the cruise which includes meals, but if the meals at the specialty resturants are extraordinary and the service superb...I tip accordingly...they've earned it and I enjoy it!

On my Disney cruise (almost 5 years ago), we were told that part of the surcharge (I believe it was $5 or $10) was for the tip for our servers in the specialty restaurant. FYI we were also given info about how to figure out the tip for our regular servers since they served us 1 less night because of this. (That was when tips were figured separately for each individual rather than by the day).

We too have only been to the alternate dining on Disney - Palo's is one of my favorite meals ever - yummy.

It is $10 pp and we always tip an additional $10 as the service is always superb and on our last 2 visits there we requested extra dessert for the kids to have in the cabin and never had a problem getting it!! That is DS favorite dessert and he would be happy for us to eat in Palo's everynight:eek: :eek:

We've eaten at Sabatini's twice, and have tipped $5-$10 pp each time. The service has been just great, and since it is a long meal (2+ hours), you really get a chance to see how good your waitstaff really is.

Of course, when you eat in a specialty restaurant, you'll already have paid for a main dining room meal you won't be eating, and tipped for service you won't receive. Since Princess calls the additional fee a "cover charge" by Princess (i.e., a cost beyond food and drink, presumably for service in this case), a $20 upcharge would be an appropriate tip for a meal valued at $100-130 dollars, no?

Our group ate at Sterling Steak House. At the end of the meal we received slips that showed our cruise accounts had been charged $15 per person. There was no place on the slip to add a tip. We asked the matre'd about it and he said if we wanted to tip, we could pay our waiter in cash. He said there really was no way to add it to our accounts.

Of course, when you eat in a specialty restaurant, you'll already have paid for a main dining room meal you won't be eating, and tipped for service you won't receive. Since Princess calls the additional fee a "cover charge" by Princess (i.e., a cost beyond food and drink, presumably for service in this case), a $20 upcharge would be an appropriate tip for a meal valued at $100-130 dollars, no?

I'm not sure I can agree that a meal in either Sabatini's or Sterlings would be worth anywhere near 100 to 130 dollars, maybe 20 to 30. The extra charge is a service charge and we do not feel the need to tip anything additional.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived