Catholic Mass

trish1c

Please help. We may be in St. Thomas in January. We'll dock on Sunday at 11 am. I went to the cathedral's official diocesan web site. The last mass is at 10 a.m. Does any Catholic church on the island celebrate Mass after 11:30 am on Sundays? How far is the church from the pier?

Thank you.

Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral is located in Charlotte Amalie;

Sunday at 6:30 am, 8:30 am, 10:30 am and 5pm.

It is about a 12-15 minute drive to the cathedral from the pier in Havensight.

Holy Family located in Tutu;

Sunday at 7:30am and 10am.

St. Ann's has mass at 8am on Sunday. It is in Frenchtown -

You can call to confirm the times: The Holy Family Church (340)775-1650 located in Tutu; Our Lady of Perpetual Help (340)774-0885 located in Mafolie; Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral (340)774-0201 located in Charlotte Amalie and St. Anne's (340)714-1101 located in Frenchtown.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thank you Islander. I will call the various churches. Maybe I will be able to arrange something.

We are scheduled to dock at 11 am (so we'll miss the 10 am Masses); we're scheduled to depart at 6 p.m. so I wouldn't want to risk the 5 pm Mass & traffic. Praying for the ship to depart late probably wouldn't be fair. ;)

Some ships may offer mass if there is a priest on board who is willing to offer Sunday Mass to fellow passengers. It happens more often than you think. Just ask at the pursers desk when you board if they know of any priest travelling who is willing to celebrate mass on board. No harm in asking. BTW the Costa line has daily mass on their ships, usually in Italian but hey that's pretty close to Latin right? Carnival actually has liturgy trunks at the ready for travelling priests, rabbis etc.

On some ships the priest can get a break on their single supplement if the agree.

We always try to catch daily mass wherever we go. Last trip on the Mediterranea in February we even got our ashes on Ash wednesday in the oldest cathedral in Mexico (central Medida) while the rest of the tour group was off shopping. Got them again in the evening abourd ship! Who says you can't travel and pray at the same time!

Good Luck

Thanks. I am hoping that there will be a priest on board. Problem is, I'm trying to get my parents on this cruise & unless I can guarentee them Mass, this will be a deal breaker. I was so hoping we were going to be able to go to the Catherdral in St. Thomas. I guess I forgot that 12 o'clock Mass was invented for "lazy" Americans like me who don't want to get up early on Sundays.

Tricsh1c, this may not help you, but for others that may be reading this thread. Even if you check on the first day of the cruise and they say there are no spiritual leaders on-board for service, check a day or two later (if the timing of the service on a traditional day isn't important to you). Sometimes one will board on a "private" vacation and at the last minute volunteer his services.

Another cruise line that almost always has daily Catholic Mass is Holland America. It's very rare for them to not have a priest onboard. I didn't notice what cruise line you were on but if you want to get your parents onboard this might be the way to "close the deal".

Thanks Michcruisers but we're thinking of sailing on the Dawn -- 10 day exotic -- out of NYC b/c we won't have to fly. That's another piece of the "deal". Somehow I'll get this worked out but I do appreciate the info everyone is providing.

Archived