TA:No! upgrade/discount/OBC

RoyalTraveler

I have followed some of you folks getting discounts, OBC and upgrades. I found a listing on Carnival showing that our 6A had dripped $90pp + FREE Upgrade to 6B! So, I called (message) & emailed our TA at VTG (can't put names on here, right?) There seemed to be alot of activity going on the Carnival website, 2 6B cabins I would have liked disappeared and new 6A's were suddenly available. I would be happy w/OBC too. Finally reached our TA, he was clueless. First he told me he had just called Carnival & the agent told him there were no promotions or upgrades for our type cabins. After I told him I saw it on C's website and had the code # he said the C agent told him if someone had already booked and wanted a new discount, they would have to cancel 1st booking, be steeply penalized and rebook the new deal. TA said that would be crazy. I told him I knew of others who had been able to cash in, he didn't believe it. Any advice or comments? :(

Did you use the same code number when you booked the cruise? If you used the same code number when you booked you are entitled to the discount. If you did not use the promo code, you won't get the lower price for the fact you did not use that code to begin with................ It's kind of like a blue light special at K-mart. You go in, purchase something and pay full price. As soon as the receipt is in your hand, they put a blue light special on that item. If you go back to the register they are not going to give you that same item for the blue light price because it was purchased before the special. You would have to go to customer service, get a refund, and re-purchase while the special was still on. Now if you purchased the item while the special was going on, and they rang up the wrong price, you would get the discount, because you purchased during the special. Do ya see what I'm trying to say?

About one week prior to our sailing in November, the price had dropped $50 per person. Our full payment had been made we had received our documents and we had already been upgraded from an inside guarantee to an oceanview. Due to the info from these boards I decided to call the internet T.A. who in turn called Carnival. I wasn't really expecting anything but it doesn't hurt to try

The Carnival rep said they couldn't do anything for us as the cabin had already been assigned and the oceanview I was getting would have been significantly higher. I said thanks for trying.....I wasn't surprised.

Lo and behold when I got aboard and checked the folio, there was a $100 OBC, and as an added surprise our friends also got the OBC, I guess because our reservations were linked. Gotta love Carnival

That's why I will always book with the cruise line from now on. Our Carnival Miracle 08 cruise I found a great pvp. I saw where our cruise dropped 30 pp, called, she said it wasn't coming up, then she said oh just a minute you are a past guest--5 mins. later she dropped 60.00 off our price!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She told me to keep checking since it was so far out and just call her and she would take care of me. Someone quoted me a price for the cruise 120.00 cheaper. Now only 60.00 cheaper, but it wasn't apples to apples. It was for a balcony, but I got an aft balcony through Carnival. Don't care for the fees, cancellation fees (if you have to cancel, etc.) Always good to know the Exact Cost!!!! ( and no middle man to go through)!!

Our next sailing is April 7 and I found the price for one of our cabins dropped by $75 last night so I called Carnival and they adjusted the price with no questions asked. I asked if the price drops more after final payment date (Jan 22) would they still adjust the price like they have in the past. She said 'no problem, just call and they'd be happy to adjust the price for me and provide on board credit.' :) Like others have said; Gotta love Carnival!

My advise is to call and talk to the supervisor or customer service. Your TA does't want to work any harder for you and get less of a commisssion. Bad TA and I'd never use them again. If there is a room available that is the same price you paid they should at least be able to get you an upgrade to that cabin. Nothing is in stone. It also depends on who they talk to at Carnival whether you get it or not. I had to call and talk to like 4-5 different people before I got my upgrade. Nothing changed in prices from caller 1 to caller 5 but that last person was able to get the upgrade. Next time I am gonna work through a PVP so I don't have to worry about all this. Then I can call Carnival directly and plead my case. I'm a lot more motivated than the TA because I can save $$$.

Thanks everyone. There is some very good advice and points on here. I plan to book through the cruise lines in the future. This is our 4th time booking with this online company but a different agent and the other 3 have been excellent experiences. :( This guy was clearly trying to dismiss me & make me feel foolish.

Or am I a little dense? These gracious responses are representive of what I have read elsewhere on the boards. Some indicate any adjustment is impossible after final payment, others give testimony that they have had it happen. I would be more persistent if I understood the situation better. :confused: Can anyone help me understand? Guess I need a 'teacher' :o LOL

Hi Royal, I think I'd try another TA. We have a cruise booked for March ( with X) and the cost was 2300 pp for an 11 day concierge class balcony, well I watched the prices and every time there was a drop I called her and she got me the discount every time, we ended up paying 1300 each, which is an excellent price. After I made my final payment she told me to call her and she'd get me obc if the prices drop. They actually are going up though. I've sailed with Carnival twice, once thru the same agent and one through one of the other big internet agencies. The other agency wasn't too helpful, but my girl is golden. I know Carnival gives credit unless you paid an incredibly low price to begin with. We had not only good prices with Carnival, but they helped us do a burial at sea with my fathers ashes and never charged a dime for it. We have been very very very happy with their customer service. If you want my agents name and number you can email me kyrisong1@aol.com Happy sailing, Carole

Or am I a little dense? These gracious responses are representive of what I have read elsewhere on the boards. Some indicate any adjustment is impossible after final payment, others give testimony that they have had it happen. I would be more persistent if I understood the situation better. :confused: Can anyone help me understand? Guess I need a 'teacher' :o LOL

Not all online agents are created equal. SOme dont give any discounts after final payment. SOme will charge to make changes within your booking. Some even charge to take your booking. Is wise to research the company before booking.

It may not be the person dont want to do the work-- it may be out of their hands since you are passed final payment.

This is why some people get credits and some dont. It will depend on the agency.

Hi Royal,

I am so sorry to hear your report:mad: . You have booked from an independent Travel Agent from what I gather. My DW and I book through a PVP with Carnival. Our final payment was paid on November 20th or somewhere around that date. Last week, January 13th, I noticed the price on our cruise had dropped. I called Carnival and immediately received a $160 obc:) . My in laws, who are traveling with us, received a $60 obc for their stateroom:o . We were given the choice of a room upgrade or an obc. We chose the obc. The Carnival PVP never hesitated and took care of our needs promptly:D . Perhaps your TA's commission would go down with the obc or upgrade:confused: . I'm not sure, but you should be compensated. Call and ask for your TA's supervisor. Perhaps you will get compensated that way.

My only other suggestion would be to deal on future cruises with a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner(PVP). Good Luck

We have stopped booking with a regular TA and use the cruise line PVP. He told us at booking to email him on a regular basis and if the price had dropped he would credit us. He even did this after final payment had been made. We just recieved news from Rick that we are getting a $60 per person OBC. He even gave our travelling companions the past guest rate even though this is their first cruise. Stick with Carnival in the future.

Archived