Help with luggage at Heathrow?

marvin

We are flying to Heathro and wondering if we can get porter assistance with luggage before going through customs or do we have to go through customs first.? Any information would be appreciated. Marvin

If I remember correctly--you will pick up your own luggage and take it through the custom's line yourself. I generally get a cart so I don't have to carry all my luggage myself. ( The porters don't want to waste their time waiting for you to get inspected --if need be. They are probably not even allowed in that area or they would be going through customs with their own ID, searches, etc.)

It is amazing how we forget how it is done, and I have been through there over a dozen times! Since I generally by-pass porters, that is why I get a cart then I can go where I want to---restroom, awaiting coach, catch a shuttle, taxi, etc.

Hopefully someone else will respond to your question, Marvin!

Carts are free and you can put your luggage on them as soon as you receive them - after you depart customs (very easy in Heathrow) you can get a porter to help you. If you are going directly into London and if you don't have much luggage you can go directly down to the express train and get to Victoria Station very quickly. From Victoria you can take a taxi directly to your hotel.

Rod, Thank you , that makes it easier to know how much to give the porter. I assume if I gave them $15.00 they would not say I have to get L's,(no pound sign on my keyboard) Marvin

As long as it's notes there should be no problem, we can't change 'change', but I recommend you get some £'s for the UK and Euros for most of Europe. The Uk is poor for accepting other currencies and you will get really ripped off by hotels and those shops that do.

Don't use bureau de change try to go to a bank..

Rod

Just flew in and out of Heathrow a little over a week ago.

When you arrive you will go through customs first before you get to your baggage claim. (Be prepared to wait. I waited almost an hour in the line at customs to get through. They also ask you a heck of a lot more questions at customs THERE then they do back stateside.) Once in baggage claim there are plenty of free carts and/or porters to assist you.

I would convert your money at the airport. The porters would not care for dollars as it would then cost them to convert it. Also you will need British Currency for whatever mode of transportation you take.

Handy little tip....I know it works at PHL...if you exchange your money at Travelex at PHL and keep your receipt, when you return show them the receipt and you won't be charged commission to convert it back.

And when converting they DO convert British coin...but only 1lb and 2 lb coins.

One last tip.....be careful of pickpockets. And DON"T wear a mini-backpack type bag on your back. I had my camera stolen right off my back! :(

Nikole,

It's the same for us going to the US. The custome in Florida took an absolute age to egt through. We should not be too concerned by this in the current climate, rarther be safe than sorry.

By the way its pound and not lb. The lb refers to weight.

On the subject of pickpockets and thieving, this is the same anywhere in the world. Just be carefull wherever you go and keep your valuable close to you.

You might consider getting pounds at your bank before flying to London. That way you don't have to worry about findng a currency exchange or an ATM when your tired from the flight and just want to get out of there.

Also, just for clarification - there is a difference between immigration and customs.

Everyone goes through immigration 1st (that's where the long lines can be and where they look at your passport and ask you questions). After you get your bags, you go through customs. For most people, it's nothing at all - you find the sign that applies to you (for most of us it's the sign that says you're bringing nothing into the UK but your own possessions and you have nothing to declare), you walk a few steps, and then you're in the meeting hall. All done!

Have a great cruise.

Joanie

Marvin,

you collect your baggage after immigration and before you go through customs (so that the customs officers can spot check it if they wish). Unless you have anything to declare go through the green channel for non-EU passengers and it is only a short distance to the arrivals hall where you can get a luggage trolley.The porters will expect to be paid in £ sterling. There are money exchanges before baggage claim in all Heathrow terminals but they do not give a very good rate.

You are correct, I misspoke about customs vs immigration. It is right after the immigration doors that you will go through to go into baggage claim.

Andym...not complaining in the least. I have no problem with safety and security measures. As I said, be prepared to wait.

As for the pound vs lb. Yes, I'm aware of it but didn't feel like typing it out, but thank you for the correction.

Yes, pickpockets can happen anywhere. Unfortunately, it didn't happen during my time in Amsterdam nor Prague it did happen in London hence my warning. I'm not condemning London just giving a caution to the person traveling.

As an officer, (I always tell gentlemen to wrap their wallets with 2 rubber bands crossing in both directions, insert into rear pocket, then put on pants). A pick pocket will have a hell of a time getting it out, as will you when you make a purchase, so have some spare bills in your front pocket.

Archived