First time to Canada- What to do?

Dee79

I live in Halifax...

Popular tourist activities:

-Boardwalk and historic properties on the harbour

-Theodore Tugboat rides

-Tall Ship rides

-Harbour Hopper tours (amphibious vehicle tour around the city and the harbour. Ribbit RIBBIT!)

-The CHEAP harbour tour (take the transit ferry to Dartmouth and back, about $2 each way. Mind you, no one tells you about the city or harbour.)

-Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (also on the harbour)

-Citadel Hill

-Point Pleasant Park

-Halifax Public Gardens (a Victorian garden)

-Shopping on Spring Garden Road and Barrington St. (don't miss candy at the Freak Lunchbox)

-Grey Line bus tours (tour around a larger area of the city and drop you off at various shopping areas)

-There are two small malls downtown - Park Lane and Scotia Square. One is on Barrington St. and one is on Spring Garden Road

-Saint Mary's Basilica and the old burial ground (across the street)

-FRED (Free Rides Everywhere Downtown) will do what his name says, and comes by every half hour in the summer, but I've never been able to figure out the schedule.

Places to eat:

-Fireside Cafe (full restaurant and bar, with martinis and desserts, and an armchair and fireplace decor. Lovely ambience. I highly recommend the Chocolate Concoction for dessert. Warm chocolate cake and syrup, cool vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. YUM!!!)

-Bud the Spud (a fry cart, either on Spring Garden or on the harbour, a Halifax tradition)

-Too many others to list.

Halifax has the most bars and pubs per capita of all of Canada, and many are in walking distance downtown.

If you come in early August, the Halifax Busker Festival may be on on the waterfront. Fun!

BRING CANADIAN $$$$! Canada is not a part of the US. We have our own currency, and do not stock American money. (You don't keep Francs in all your cash registers for French tourists, do you?) Most retailers will take your money, but you won't get as good an exchange rate and will receive change in Canadian dollars anyway.

I'd be happy to answer any questions I can if anyone wants to find out more.

Thanks silverlilly1,

I am also interested in this cruise and have a couple of additional questions.

- What is the June/July temperature and weather like?

- Our cruising group of 20 (of which 10 are active teenagers) like adventurous activities such as snorkeling, zip lines, parasailing, etc. Is there anything like that?

Thanks.

Thanks silverlilly1,

I am also interested in this cruise and have a couple of additional questions.

- What is the June/July temperature and weather like?

- Our cruising group of 20 (of which 10 are active teenagers) like adventurous activities such as snorkeling, zip lines, parasailing, etc. Is there anything like that?

Thanks.

Hi Brian,

Halifax is humid, being on the water, but temperatures are usually pretty mild in June/July. Highs are in low twenties on average (Celsius) and lows around 10 degrees C. Keep in mind that fog/wind/time of day affects temperature a lot, and the weather can change every five minutes, so make sure you have a cover-up for if it gets chilly or wet.

As for active activities, if anyone tells you to jump in the harbour....don't. Aside from cold water, Halifax is just in the process of implementing sewage treatment and harbour cleanup, and entering the harbour can make you sick. I can't imagine snorkelling or water sports around here, but am not sure what the ship offers for that time of year. There ARE a few nice beaches outside of the city. No matter what, the water will be COLD!!!

There are some nice walking trails outside the city, but unless the ship is offering some sort of excursion, there's not much point trying to get to most of them on your own. (Like most of the US I'm assuming), taxis are on meters, so the cost increases quickly as distance increases.

I looked at Carnival's excursions, and the only ones that seemed more active/teen interesting are fishing or kayaking. Again, there are the various boat tours, but most are passive tours. If you see something that interests you particularly, ask me or someone else on these boards before booking, as (in the case of the "Bridge Walk", for example) some things are not worth paying for on the ship, even if you are really interested in doing them.

Sorry I'm not more help on that one. I don't know what's available too much in private active tours, so all I can say in those cases is you might be best booking through the ship. If you'll be here on or just before July 1 (Canada Day), there should be lots of entertainers and vendors on the waterfront boardwalk. The Tattoo also runs in the first week of July (Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo), but none of this is active. This port would be equivalent to a New England tour, though of course every area has their own history.

Best bet is see what is available to you, and I'll do whatever I can to help you lower the cost, decide what's best for your group, etc...:)

We're actually looking at doing just the 4 day this time around. NY- New Brunswick- NY. It's cheaper.. $400 difference between 4 day and 5 day for two people. :P

I'm not seeing too much to do in New Brunswick besides shop though.. I really wanted to go to Halifax, but we'll see!

Temperatures are usually between 10-20 degrees C in late September/early October, but sometimes dip down lower, esp in the evening. T-shirt weather on a good day, sweater/jacket weather on a not-so-nice day.

Dee79, I've lived in both places, and although Saint John probably has a few more outdoor activities because the city is much smaller, Halifax is WAY nicer, especially weather-wise. For the four (summer) months I lived there, it was rainy nearly every weekend (in fact it usually rained AT LEAST 3 days in every week), and was foggy and cool almost every day. To get nice weather (sun) you have to travel about 20 minutes out of town. No offence to those who live in Saint John, the Irvings gainfully employed me for four months, but there are so many places with more to do and better weather.

BRING CANADIAN $$$$! Canada is not a part of the US. We have our own currency, and do not stock American money. (You don't keep Francs in all your cash registers for French tourists, do you?) Most retailers will take your money, but you won't get as good an exchange rate and will receive change in Canadian dollars anyway.

I agree about either using Canadian dollars or paying by credit card. You can also easily take Canadian money out of an ATM. The current premium on USD is 18%, but you are likely to get as low as par and as high as 15% in exchange.

BUT, if anyone had French Francs in their cash register, they are probably been on a trip with a time machine, since it was replaced by the Euro in 1999.

Halifax does have the most bars per capita....not something I would have used as a claim to fame, though.

Halifax is a very picturesque little city. Citadel Hill is worth a visit, if only for the vistas. A drive down to Peggy's cove is nice. Cape Breton is beautiful as well.

Saint-John (they don't appreciate it when you shorten it, for some reason) is a nice small city as well. The thing to really see, if you can is the reversing falls and the tide. In the bay of Fundy, the tides are very extreme and the falls do change direction. The downtown area has also been turned into a very nice area to walk around in. Fredericton is also beautiful, though that's quite a drive from Saint John.

Personally, I think one of the nicest part of the Maritimes are the people. They still hold doors open for people, they are helpful, warm and polite.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree about either using Canadian dollars or paying by credit card. You can also easily take Canadian money out of an ATM. The current premium on USD is 18%, but you are likely to get as low as par and as high as 15% in exchange.

BUT, if anyone had French Francs in their cash register, they are probably been on a trip with a time machine, since it was replaced by the Euro in 1999.

Halifax does have the most bars per capita....not something I would have used as a claim to fame, though.

Halifax is a very picturesque little city. Citadel Hill is worth a visit, if only for the vistas. A drive down to Peggy's cove is nice. Cape Breton is beautiful as well.

Saint-John (they don't appreciate it when you shorten it, for some reason) is a nice small city as well. The thing to really see, if you can is the reversing falls and the tide. In the bay of Fundy, the tides are very extreme and the falls do change direction. The downtown area has also been turned into a very nice area to walk around in. Fredericton is also beautiful, though that's quite a drive from Saint John.

Personally, I think one of the nicest part of the Maritimes are the people. They still hold doors open for people, they are helpful, warm and polite.

As a resident of Saint John, I can tell you that the reason that we do not like the name shortened is to avoid being confused with St. John's, Newfoundland. Many an unsuspecting American with business in Saint John, New Brunswick has spent time cooling his heels in the airport in St. John's due to the similarity of the names.

A couple of years ago, my DH and I drove out east.....2 day drive from SW ontario. Anyhow.....if you choose to rent a car and time allows, do the Cabot Trail.......WOW! DH says he has found his retirement spot! Absolutely beautiful! Also in Halifax....if you like beer.....do the Alexander Keith's brewry tour......ymmmmmmmmmm!:)

A couple of years ago, my DH and I drove out east.....2 day drive from SW ontario. Anyhow.....if you choose to rent a car and time allows, do the Cabot Trail.......WOW! DH says he has found his retirement spot! Absolutely beautiful! Also in Halifax....if you like beer.....do the Alexander Keith's brewry tour......ymmmmmmmmmm!:)

It's great during the summer but very cold during the winter. Our family is from a place called "Judique" (blink and you will miss it) and now they are mostly in Halifax. Great place to retire but head south during the winter. We usualyl travel during the Island in early June and late Sept. when the leaves start to fall, the Cabot trail is wonderful and on fire. One of Canada's best kept secrets.

Ed

As a resident of Saint John, I can tell you that the reason that we do not like the name shortened is to avoid being confused with St. John's, Newfoundland. Many an unsuspecting American with business in Saint John, New Brunswick has spent time cooling his heels in the airport in St. John's due to the similarity of the names.

You mean like that British couple that books a cheap ticket to Sydney and ended up in Nova Scotia?

• 4 weeks later...

We are coming to Halifax in first week in July and are considering kayaking. My kids are interested in seeing wildlife and although the excursion doesn't guarantee it we are hoping. Any suggestions on kayking tours or should be book thru the cruiseline (RCCL July 3rd)? Any suggestions for Saint John's kayaking?

About the $ exchange, would it make better sense, then, to use our charge cards for any purchase? We don't have an ATM card. If we wanted to get Canadian $ how would we go about it? Also,we have been to Halifax twice. Last time we went we did the city tour which was fine. But I would really like to go just to the cemetary that has the Titanic victims. Can I just take a taxi there? Thanks.

Archived