transferring fr airport to NYC cruise terminal

questor

I have never taken a cruise that left from the NYC terminal. Should I book through Princess and take their transfers? I have done it both ways - air through cruise lines and on my own. (The only time I was suppose to go through NYC was a booking I made prior to 9/11 for a late October cruise; the cruise line rebooked everything through Boston which made things a lot easier than if I had done the air. On the otherhand, booking on my own gives me greater flexibility plus it looks like it will be a lot cheaper if I don't pay a lot to go between the airport and the cruise terminal) This cruise starts in NYC and ends in Montreal (where we might decide to spend an extra night or so) We don't live near an airport so we can choose Richmond, Newport News, or Norfolk. Is flying into Newark an option?

Flying into Newark is definitely an option - your other choice is LaGuardia. I am pretty sure that JFK doesn't have a lot in the way of short flights and, it is cheaper to get from LGA to the pier than JFK. If you go from LGA the NYC taxis have a flat rate, which just went up and I think (but am not sure) it is now $40 or $45. Newark has a taxi line and the dispatcher will tell you how much the fare will be (flat rate) and then they add on $1 per large bag plus the $6 toll to get from NJ to NYC. None of the above includes a tip. Bottom line is you need to plan on $50 - 55 by taxi from either Newark or LGA. You may want to consider taking a taxi if the cost is comparable to the Princess transfers because you get off the plane and into a taxi rather than wait around while Princess fills up a bus.

being from NY myself... I can tell you newark is your best bet for prices and getting into the airport on time. If you want to get from the airport to the city efficiently I would recommend the super shuttle, or taking a NJ transit train right from the newark station to penn station (see the NJ transit website, a LOT of people do this). But for the amount of money princess would charge, I say it isnt worth it. Let me know if you want more specific info, I would be happy to help you out!

I'm not sure what part of Virginia you are in, but Independence Air flies from Virginina (Washington/Dulles (IAD)) to Newark for $49.00 each way. You also get $25.00 off your first roundtrip ticket with them. Take a look at FLYI.COM

Doing Grand Princess this fall, and for two we saved ~ $500 between air and transfers compared. Compared all three airports and Newark was the best for air fare, overnight lodging and tranfers by Supershuttle witha rate of $34.00 for two. Wayne

We can leave from Norfolk, Richmond or Newport News. Princess wants over $400 for the air (return flight is from Montreal) The transfer is $20 per person - very reasonable, but I know how frustrating these transfers can be as you wait for a bus, etc. to fill. I checked and there are three cruise ships leaving on 9/11 that evening.

If you take the Super Shuttle from Newark to Penn Station, then is a taxi the only way to get to the pier?

Does anyone know where the pier is that Princess uses in New York. I know it's on the west end of Manhattan but where? We're going from Montreal to NY and will stay in the city for a few days and will then fly out of Newark. I've heard that trains are cheap, frequent, and easy from Penn Station to EWR.

Archived