Labtop...leave it or bring it???

Mouse2385

My Fiance and I are first time cruisers and we are sailing on the Spirit in April. We are going with his family who are pro's at crusing. I was thinking about bringing my labtop to watch movies (we fight over the TV constantly (I know we shouldn't be in the room watching TV all the time but for when we are) games, charge my ipod and to store my images from my digiatl camera becuz I have a issue with deleting images off without uploading them when I have dont have access to a computer. I wanted to get some of imput on this. If its worth it or even a good idea.

Also, If anyone has any tips or suggestions on what not and what to bring. I am a very big over packer, I feel I always need EVERYTHING and I know we have a limited amount of space. Or any tips in general.

Thanks!!!

Mouse2385

Sailing for the first time on the Spirit April 21 2007!!!

I don't know that you'll have time for watching movies. ;)

I've brought my laptop along just for offloading photos from my camera cards to the hard drive and just barely have had enough time for that.

If you're flying, you will need to remove the laptop from its case when you go through security. It's a bit of a pain in the butt so pack it so that you can easily remove it from its case and stick it back in there.

If you have any confidential personal data stored on that laptop, back it up to CD or to a flash drive and then delete it from your hard drive. In the event your laptop gets stolen, you won't have that headache to worry about. When you return home, just restore all those goodies.

For packing tips check out the Cruise Fashions and Beauty Forum. :)

Personally, I do always travel with laptop. Sometimes it comes in handy, sometimes I could have left it home. It's all a matter of preference. As for packing, I'm the worst to ask because I say 'take everything'! Then I curse myself for taking everything and having to lug it all around. I've gotten a little better at packing light for cruises, I've learned there really is very little you need, especially on NCL where the dress is more casual than other lines.

We live in New Jersey and are leaving right our of New York so there is no flying required. I'm that person who can't live without a computer, but I have done it before for vacations and would be able to do it for the cruis but I think I;m going to bring it just to have it.

As for packing, I hate bringing certain things and then having to wear if I dont want to without a choice. i have gotten a lot better with packing, but being this my first time on a cruise I dont know what to expect. Thank God my Fiance does not require a lot of clothes. I do the packing so I can get away with shoving some extra things in his bag!!

We live in New Jersey and are leaving right our of New York so there is no flying required. I'm that person who can't live without a computer, but I have done it before for vacations and would be able to do it for the cruis but I think I;m going to bring it just to have it.

As for packing, I hate bringing certain things and then having to wear if I dont want to without a choice. i have gotten a lot better with packing, but being this my first time on a cruise I dont know what to expect. Thank God my Fiance does not require a lot of clothes. I do the packing so I can get away with shoving some extra things in his bag!!

I'm not "allowed" to bring mine. DW feels that because I am glued to a computer for 14 hours a day (work) that a vacation also means a vacation from the computer or laptop.

I agree with one of the comments above - bring extra memory for your camera - it's cheaper and less of a headache. I usually bring my iPod and PSP - those are on the "allowed" list :p So, if I need to transfer pics, they go onto the iPod.

IPOD makes a a camera connector to upload photos onto your IPOD! This means your IPOD becomes a mini harddrive to hold you photos untill you get home. You can also get a wall plug for your IPOD so you can charge up your IPOD.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_Camera_Connector/4864-6519_7-31328733.html?ctype=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=1701093&cval=1701093

The ship will have a movie channel. Why would you want to lug your laptop (and worry about your laptop) and movies around. At least the Ipod fits into the room safe!

IPOD makes a a camera connector to upload photos onto your IPOD! This means your IPOD becomes a mini harddrive to hold you photos untill you get home. You can also get a wall plug for your IPOD so you can charge up your IPOD.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_Camera_Connector/4864-6519_7-31328733.html?ctype=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=1701093&cval=1701093

The ship will have a movie channel. Why would you want to lug your laptop (and worry about your laptop) and movies around. At least the Ipod fits into the room safe!

Mouse- my fiance and I cruised the Spirit last January and had a wonderful time! But, I overpacked by a lot! If I could give you any advise... it would be don't pack too many shoes! I think I must have packed about 7 pairs, and I really only needed about 3 (black sandles for dinner, sneakers, and a good pair of flip flops). Also, it is pretty casual on the ship, and I definately think you could get away with wearing a pair of pants/skirt to dinner more than once. Also, although I didn't realize this at the time, I do believe there is a room where you can do your laundry free of chrage, you just need to bring or buy detergent on the ship, so maybe that will save you some space in your luggage! Any other questions feel free to ask!

Good thinking. I completly forgot about my Fiance's PSP. I don't think I can upload photos to my iPod, I have a mini with a black n white screen. And I even have a wall charger at work for my ipod. Thank-God for this site all of you!! thanks a bunch

I do bring my laptop. We have been cruising out of NY lately so no need to fly. This makes it easy.

We find it convenient to check our home e-mail. With our wireless card and the lowest internet fee, we can log on, download e-mail and then log off. We like to stay in contact. When we choose to cruise witout our two kids, granny and grandpa send a quick note everyday to update us. No work e-mails!

I also use the computer to compose a daily diary (when I have the time). Last time, my daugher (4 years old) played some Dora games and watched some videos when we had some down time.

Bottom line is that if you find it to be more valuable to take it, then do it. It is a personal choice.

Yes, you can dump your pics onto an iPod, or a portable hard drive like I do.

A couple years ago, I was on a cruise with my brother (a big family cruise) and he brought a laptop.

My brother heard a fellow cruiser, not of our group, in a conversation at the photo desk that basically amounted to "my digital camera card is not working. it seems all my pics are lost"

My borther volonteered to help. He was able to ressurect the memory card, recover all the pics, and rip them to a CD. The guy was very greatful all his pics were not lost.

This is the only real advantage of bringing a laptop as far as I'm concerned.

since everyone is downloading their photos to a laptop, does that mean all the space on your memory cards are full? i can take 200+ photos on one card... & i have a spare. I think that's easier for me than to worry about downloading the images...

That said... I am an overpacker & wouldn't take my laptop (though I am a self-proclaimed computer addict) b/c I don't want to carry another thing in the masses I have.

Thanks babywewe for mentioning that iPod camera connector. I just bought an 80GB video iPod recently, the darn thing is bigger than my laptop hard drive! :eek: I usually can fit a vacation's worth of pictures onto my computer's card, but I will have to look into getting that connector just in case. :)

since everyone is downloading their photos to a laptop, does that mean all the space on your memory cards are full? i can take 200+ photos on one card... & i have a spare.

I have over 4 gigs for two cameras with different types of memory cards. I hope I don't run out of memory. I just like to look at my pictures on a 9x12 inch screen instead of a 2x3. I'll definately have my laptop - the real debate for me is whether I should take my tripod or not!

I always take my laptop with me on the cruises, my wife and have been on 6 cruises.

I do like having the ability to download the pictures to the laptop. It makes it easier to view and delete.

The Internet is the other reason. When you use the ships computers your time starts as soon as you log in, typing the email cost you time. With the laptop, I log on, I sync outlook, log off, read the emails, type the replies, save as draft, log back on and send.

The last note about the laptops is customs. US Customs can charge you duty on a laptop that was made outside the US unless you can show it was purchased in the US. There is a Customs form 4457 that you fill out and have stamped. In NJ call the Customs office in Newark at (973) 368-6100 and ask were you can bring the laptop to get it certified. This may be overkill but……..

I always take my laptop with me on the cruises, my wife and have been on 6 cruises.

The Internet is the other reason. When you use the ships computers your time starts as soon as you log in, typing the email cost you time. With the laptop, I log on, I sync outlook, log off, read the emails, type the replies, save as draft, log back on and send.

The last note about the laptops is customs. US Customs can charge you duty on a laptop that was made outside the US unless you can show it was purchased in the US. There is a Customs form 4457 that you fill out and have stamped. In NJ call the Customs office in Newark at (973) 368-6100 and ask were you can bring the laptop to get it certified. This may be overkill but……..

You sound like a person that can help me out! I may have someone in my travel party bring their laptop for work reasons. We are looking to sail on the NCL Majesty out of Boston this summer.

So it sounds like you can use the ships internet cafe and log on with your own laptop. I'm assuming all cruise lines allow this standard practice? They don't force you to use their computers?

And the problem at customs seems like overkill....but have you been questioned about your laptop coming back in to the U.S.? We are travelling to Bermuda and back to Boston.

I never had an issue getting back into the US. Of the 6 cruises 5 were on the Majesty of out of Boston. The reason I had the form done was the laptop belongs to my company and I did not want a problem.

The US Customs page shows an office at the Manchester Airport. I would call this number, (603) 628 6264, and ask if there is a site in Manchester were you can have the laptop certified. If they don’t you may have to go Logan. If you have to go to Boston reply, I can advise were the the inspection site is.

I have gone through customers maybe 20 times with a laptop and NEVER even been asked if I have one. And, if they just looked at the data on your computer it would be readily evident that I have owned the computer for an extended period of time, and therefore did not buy it overseas.

Though they "could" question the origination of your laptop, they could also do that with your ipod, your watch, your clothes, etc. etc. In real life, this is NOT a problem unless you are a smuggler.

As to the poster asking about using a laptop at the internet cafe. You can use your laptop in most cabins and other places on the ship via either a plug in cable or wireless, at a fee. I have only once actually used shipboard computers - what a pain. You can do a search on "laptop" and find a ton of postings about this.

We always take the laptop. We plan to watch movies while at sea, but never do. Sometimes we do listen to CDs in the room. We do watch movies when stuck in the airport or on long flights. We do quick email daily.

I have gone through customers maybe 20 times with a laptop and NEVER even been asked if I have one. And, if they just looked at the data on your computer it would be readily evident that I have owned the computer for an extended period of time, and therefore did not buy it overseas.

Though they "could" question the origination of your laptop, they could also do that with your ipod, your watch, your clothes, etc. etc. In real life, this is NOT a problem unless you are a smuggler.

As to the poster asking about using a laptop at the internet cafe. You can use your laptop in most cabins and other places on the ship via either a plug in cable or wireless, at a fee. I have only once actually used shipboard computers - what a pain. You can do a search on "laptop" and find a ton of postings about this.

We always take the laptop. We plan to watch movies while at sea, but never do. Sometimes we do listen to CDs in the room. We do watch movies when stuck in the airport or on long flights. We do quick email daily.

garycarla, you are right, as I said I have never had an issue, but all you need is one customs officer that wants to give you a hard time and it can cost you some money, and we have done the same with the ipods.

Using the laptop on the ship verses the ships PC is is the best way to go. As I said in my other post, " The Internet is the other reason I bring my laptop. When you use the ships computers your time starts as soon as you log in, typing the email cost you time. With the laptop, I log on, I sync outlook, log off, read the emails, type the replies, save as draft, log back on and send"

fantavet is going on the Majesty, this is an older ship, there is are several wireless area on the boat, there were no places to plug in when I was on the ship in 2004.

garycarla, yes getting the 4457 form may not be needed and as I stated it may "overkill", but the Laptop I use is issue to me by my company and I don't want any headaches.

Thanks for all the replies. Some great info! The Majesty was built in 1992 and I didn't think you could plug in from your cabin. But the fact that it has wireless zones is great.

The guy that may travel with us does international business and he relies heavily on email. That is one reason why he has never tried a cruise. But it is great to hear that newer ships are allowing you to plug in from your cabin, much like a hotel. I never take my laptop so I never thought to check this out before.

Thanks again!

Archived