1st Cruise: Eastern or Western Caribbean?

BenDover

OK, I am about to book my first cruise ever and after much research I have it decided on a 7 night cruise on the Mariner of the Seas in September of this year. What I am having a hard time deciding is whether I should do the Eastern Caribbean or the Western Caribbean. I would appreciate any pros and cons of either choice for a newbee.

I’ll be traveling with my sister who really enjoys snorkel and/or scuba excursions.

Thanks

OK, I am about to book my first cruise ever and after much research I have it decided on a 7 night cruise on the Mariner of the Seas in September of this year. What I am having a hard time deciding is whether I should do the Eastern Caribbean or the Western Caribbean. I would appreciate any pros and cons of either choice for a newbee.

I’ll be traveling with my sister who really enjoys snorkel and/or scuba excursions.

Thanks

I say western. Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman is cool and you can combine it with snorkleing. The water is clear and beautiful. Cozumel is beautiful and Jamaica is fun if you go to the falls to climb them.

There are probably as many opinions on this as there are people on CC.

I would go for the Eastern. I like the beaches and I am not much of an excursion person. St Thomas we just head to the Magan's Bay for the day. St. Maarten esp. French side is lots of fun.

We did do the stingrays and I like Cozumel. I am not a fan of Grand Cayman.

No matter which one you pick you will have a great time

The snorkeling is better on the western side. Grand Caymen is the best. Also Cozumel use to be great but since the hurricane many reefs were destroyed. St marteen( eastern) is usually very windy, and not known for the snorkeling.St thomas has nice snorkeling and a side trip to st john would give you a great beach for snorkeling. With that said, I love the Mariner ship and have done both western and eastern this past yr. The eastern I did in Jan and the western in Oct. The eastern has less ports and more sea days to enjoy the ship. Go with the better priced week and enjoy! An after thought: Getting to the nice snorkeling spots is less expensive on the western side. Cabs are cheaper in Cozumel and there is great snorkeling within walking distance from the ship in grand cayman.

I say Eastern. The Western route has more tendering, while the Eastern route has no terndering I believe. To me, tendering is a big hassle. There is great snorkeling in Nassau(not sure if that's on the itinerary). Either way, I have done both and prefered the scenery, the weather, and in general the islands more in the Eastern.

Couple of things:

Snorkeling - Western (Grand Cayman & Cozumel) are 2 of the top 10 dive/snorkel places in the World.

Private RCI beaches - I think Labadee (western) is a better beach is slightly better than Coco Cay (eastern), but they are both really good.

Kids - I don't know if you have children going, but I think the Western itinerary is better for kids (stingray city, dunns river falls, helmet diving), and I think the eastern itinerary is better for adults.

Just my opinion....have a great time on your first cruise :D

I say Western. I love the shopping in Cozumel and I really enjoy the different excursions that are available. Jamaica (Dunn's River Falls) Cozumel (Paradise Beach, Shopping, Playa Del Carmen) Grand Cayman (Stingray) Belize (Cave Tubing)

IMHO

Either way, you can't go wrong. Whichever one you pick first, just plan on doing the other second.

We did Eastern first (no particular reason) and have done Western the rest of the times. While I would go back to Eastern next, I think Southern Caribbean will be my next choice.

I love all the islands -- would go back to all again except Costa Rica (unless a land vacation) and Panama (been there, done that -- great experience - once).

Have fun and welcome to the world of cruise addiction!!!

labadee is eastern (haiti).

Actually, Labadee is on the Western itinerary on Mariner...

To the OP... Based on what you're looking for, I would do the Western on Mariner.

If you decide to do an Eastern itinerary later, you might want to consider sailing out of Miami, you get one more port day on the Eastern itinerary when sailing from Miami than what you get sailing from Port Canaveral.

Labadee is on both Western and Eastern itineraries. Voyager stops at Labadee on her Eastern itineraries.

I personally prefer Eastern but if you are looking for ports with great snorkeling and scuba I would look at Western.

Thanks so much for your replies. I believe we'll due the western for the better scuba/snorkaling opps. The eastern itinery does not include Nassau. I also don't like the back-to-back cruise days on the eastern. Cost doesn't factor, $10 more for the Western. Thanks again.

Been on the Eastern a couple of times and enjoyed it. Just returned from the Western on the Freedom. Did the ruins tour in Cozumel so didn't get a chance to see much there. The downtown looked to be the usual touristy shops. The Stingray City tour in Grand Caymen is not to be missed. It was one of the the most enjoyable things we have ever done. Freedom stopped at Montego Bay, and it is the pits. Avoid this place like the plague. Pushy vendors downtown and very dirty. Labadee is the usual beach stop. I doubt if we will ever do this itinerary again. If you can spare a little more for air fare, fly to San Juan and take a Southern itinerary. The islands are more diverse and interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

You made a good decision. we alternate each time we go. And as the kids get a bit older there are other things to do with them. Last Jan we loved MAriner doing Eastern for the sea days to enjoy the ship. Then in OCt we did Mariner again and loved it for the western itin and the things we did which we could not do with the kids 2 years ago when we did the western with them. They were 10 and 11 in Oct and loved tubing in Jamaica and wave runner in Labadee. The next cruise, LOS in Nov will be Eastern again. If we do not get to snorkel we will just enjoy the beaches and then book another cruise the following year for the western...

It depends on what you like to do. I think western are fun, but the islands aren't as interesting. Cozumel - snorkel, drink, shop Grand Cayman - sting ray, drink, shop, etc.

On the eastern, I think the islands are better and more interesting.

If you have done Mexico before (cancun, cozumel), I would say eastern.

You can't lose either way!

Archived