Bus to Marigot ???'s

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but the search feature isn't working for me. It says fatal error :eek:

Anyway...I was wondering if someone could tell me how long it takes to go to Marigot by bus? Where do they drop you off at?

Also how long does it take (approx) to go from Marigot to Maho by bus?

Please don't suggest that we take a taxi...because we won't! We like to either rent a car or take a bus when visiting the islands. The last two times we were in St Martin we rented a car...so this time we thought we would try the local bus. We did this several years ago...but I don't remember any of the details other than it was cheap...a buck or two each.:)

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi- I used to live in Sint Maarten and didn't have a car most of the time. The buses are usually minivans or old VW buses with a sign on the dashboard saying where they are going. The Maho bus might say Mullet Bay; the other common routes are French Quarter, Marigot, and Philipsburg. To catch the bus in Philipsburg, you might be able to get one at the pier or on Front street; if not go to Back street by the bank/fire station and you should be able to catch one. Raise you hand as the bus goes by and they'll stop. There's no timetable or official bus stop signs, you just have to watch for a bus to go by. When you get on the bus, say good morning or good afternoon- it's considered very rude not to. Tell the driver where you want to get off. Most people pay the fare as they're getting off from what I remember- shouldn't be more than $2 or so. From the pier to Marigot it could be as short as 30 minutes or up to 3 hours depending on traffic on the hill and the route you take, average is probably 45 minutes to an hour. For Marigot, it will look like they're dropping you off in the middle of nowhere, but it's really the backside of the shopping district, don't worry. If you're lost ask someone to point you to the marina.

Archived