QE2 Cabin Question

ggo85

We're taking a QE2 Mediterranean cruise this year. Figured it was a once in a lifetime event and decided to splurge with a Queen's Grille cabin. My question is whether the Q2 (with balcony) is worth the quite substantial cost increase over the Q3 (sans balcony) on this ship.

I know Q2 offers minibar set up and butler service. Not willing to pay the extra $$ for the former and really wouldn't use the latter. So, it's really a verandah issue plus anything else that people think makes a difference.

My question is whether the Q2 (with balcony) is worth the quite substantial cost increase over the Q3 (sans balcony) on this ship.

You're quite right - the balcony is the big thing (that and the fact that once you're in your cabin you don't have to mix with those in steerage again until the end of the cruise:) ). The rabbit hutches are an addition - if you want to be in an original cabin then a Q3 would be a good choice - just be careful if you want a bidet though some Q3s have them and others haven't.

Well gg, I can't offer a view based on experience as I've never travelled grill on Cunard. If it's a question of money is no object, then go for it. If you have the money and don't need any of the facilities on offer, then you can travel at all times in the knowledge that you've got the choice to use the balcony, or not. But if money were no object, then maybe you wouldn't be posing the question?

If money is a consideration, the dilemma is greater. How important is your privacy? Why is it important? In other words, are you saying that you don't ever want to use a public deck for sunning etc? There may be good reasons for this, but do consider them carefully. The ship has so many areas where people can sit or sunbathe in peace and quiet. And it's one of the least intrusive places I've ever travelled. People (largely) respect each other. Sometimes it's good to strike up conversation with neighbours (be it on a sun deck or adjacent table). We sometimes gain unexpectedly from such encounters.

All in all, I would urge you to give it some careful thought. It may be excluding as well as exclusive.

How important is your privacy? Why is it important? In other words, are you saying that you don't ever want to use a public deck for sunning etc? There may be good reasons for this, but do consider them carefully. The ship has so many areas where people can sit or sunbathe in peace and quiet.

Actually, privacy isn't the issue -- no problem sitting on deck with others. Rather, on previous cruises, we've enjoyed being able to sit on our balcony in shorts, etc. in the morning or just before dinner, etc. It's nice to be able to feel the ocean breeze or watch arrival/departure without having to leave your cabin. On newer ships, you can get a balcony w/o paying all that much more than a non-balcony cabin. Here, they are much more $$$ than one or two categories lower -- so just seeing if anyone who bought one, or got upgraded to one, thought they were really "worth it."

So just seeing if anyone who bought one . . . thought they were really "worth it."

Matthew - Here's your chance:D

We were in Princess Grill for Christmas '05; we went Caronia for Christmas '06. The service in the PG is slightly better - chilled soups arrive in on a silver dish of ice where in Caronia it's a soup saucer of ice; you get a greater choice of marmalades at breakfast; there is a much higher (and it is sometimes very noticeable) staff/passenger ratio; you can order things like black pudding off menu; but that's about it for the restaurant.

You get access to the Queens Grill Lounge - I had one drink there on the '05 Cruise; I didn't miss it on the '06 Cruise.

You get a bigger and better located cabin but, if you book early and choose well, you can get something similar for Caronia.

Possibly the biggest thing is that feeling of superiority that you are in Grill Class - far above your common passenger!

Q3 v Q2.

Q3 - proper "ship" cabins. More hanging space space.

Q2 - slightly "hotel room" feel. Less hanging space, unless you get 8001 or 8002.

Forget the bar part of it. Economically it is a non-starter. You could drink yourself to death on the difference between a Q3 and a Q2.

Balcony - very nice of course. I like it whatever the trip (and I include a crossing in that). Sitting taking tea in lovely weather, on the greatest ship afloat is a truly special feeling.

However, what makes the Q2 grade worth the money in my view is the service. Not the Butler service part of it - there is (in practice) no separate "butler" - but service that is superb, where all you have to do is ask and it is sorted (the winter crossing club know the score on this). Full Queens Grill menu for dining in your cabin. And at a table too!

It's the sort of service where your individual likes and dislikes are remembered from one trip to another.

In my view the Signal Deck on Queen Elizabeth 2 is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Makes the Waldorf=Astoria look inept, and the Savoy impersonal (both hotels I have stayed in the night after leaving the Queen Elizabeth 2).

I'm known by those on the Signal Deck, so probably get slightly better service. But in our time on the ship we've stayed in 8081 (Q1) as well as 8001 and 8009, and I have had 8018. Our first trip on the Signal Deck was in 8081 on a transatlantic landing up in New York after a really bad storm - and my wife was very unwell and unhappy for the first two full days. The service then was lovely - and they judged to perfection the way to deal with us to make us feel at home.

There is one big but however. The Signal Deck is not the place for poor sailors. The wind whistles round the balconies, and the whole deck moves more than any other. The further forward you go, the worse the problem. The Q1s are the worst grill cabins for movement! If this is likely to be a serious problem then the dilemma is greater - and you may well feel that a deck one Q3 is the better bet.

Of course a deck 2 QS might be the ideal cabin on a crossing.....

My own view is that the Q2 (and get a Signal Deck one if you can) is well worth the money.

I can see the arguments that the ship geeks (;) ) will put forward for the Q3, but for me they are not persuasive. They are, however, perfectly valid.

Your budget is the big decider, together with your ability as a sailor. If you have doubts about the latter, get one of the back Q2s - 8018 (right at the back) is significantly better than 8001 (right at the front of the Q2s). You might also prefer to spend money on wine in the restaurant rather than on your cabin - how much time do you actually spend in the cabin?

Which trip are you thinking of?

Matthew - Here's your chance:D

Possibly the biggest thing is that feeling of superiority that you are in Grill Class - far above your common passenger!

That's a bit misleading Malcolm. One of the best lessons of life on the Queen Elizabeth 2 is that money cannot buy class!

Even if it can buy you a passage out of steerage......

Matthew

I'll second kindlychap's comments re best Hotel he's stayed in except mine is for QG single grade cabins & more importantly dining in the Queens Grill! Who could ask for me - am going on my 8th cruise in Oct on QE2 and then again next April both in Grill accommodation one PG & one QG and it's a very hard act to follow & I do also like kindlychap enjoy very good Hotels / restaurants on land but still put QE2 right up there at the top!!! I agree to re the movement felt on Signal deck having been to a great party there on my last cruise - one day when I saw friends during the daytime on the return crossing I even felt a bit sick just being that high up on the ship much prefer my 1 or 2 deck cabin!!! with a preference to Midships or Aft location like my grandparents who always preferred a Q3 grade twin cabin near the Midships lobby and or what was 'B' Grade cabin Queens Grill in the 1980's. They also were one of the first passengers to make use of the former Midships suite 2151 back in 1989 and this was even a nice suite back then- not quite as oppulent as it is now and it only had 1 bathroom then & a pantry!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Okay, okay, play.

I just have to ask. All of you guys bragging about all of your grill trips and the service and not having to hang with us common folks, hoi polloi and all.

I have to ask- What is it that you all do that you have so much money to throw around that you blithely pan other accommodations *yes, I know, each of you mentions times in Mauretania and Coronia, etc, etc, etc) but the bragging/sighing about the superiority of Grill and its passengers (yes, I am being hyperbolic and rude- I admit it- and just a but sarcastic and having fun with certain people...who will likely have NO sense of humor at all. I guess in the rarefied air, it is the second thing to go...after humility.) So what is it you guys do to afford this. I make pretty good money, and I can't afford to do grill, much less repeatedly. Unless I live in a tar paper shack, take the bus to work and wear second hand clothes. and maybe not even then! Or is it inherited (unearned) money- Easy come, esy go, and Daddy will just advance me more?

Yeah, I am being a snot, and I don't really mean it. I am just jealous. Although one reason I might NOT want to go grill is I think Brittania (on QM2) is much more elegant and fun, and I would miss having all of my friends around, since doubtless not all of them would choose to spend exorbitant amounts on grill.

So what is your secret, folks?

Karie, who wishes one of you frequent grillers would adopt her for just one cruise. So I could see for myself what all the hoopla and folderol is about.

Thanks for the (serious) replies. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest re a "class system." I've traveled in inside cabins w/upper & lower bunks all the way to mini-suites. Nothing more grand and every cruise has still been grand! For those who are always able to book the nicest and largest cabins, that's great. For others, it IS a splurge and I, at least, was simply trying to find out how much splurging we wanted to do.

Although the Q2 amenities sound great, I think I'll take the advice of one of the kind posters above and use the money on other things (excursions, spa, etc.).

Any other QE2 tips would be welcome.

As people have said the main benefits of the Q1 and Q2 cabins are the balcony and the service. I would just like to mention that penthouse passengers get priority tendering at anchor ports. You do not have to queue in a lounge. You just make your way down to the tenders.

I think the Q2 represent good value for the money. Compared to the Q3 grade you do get a few extras, the service is very special and the balcony is lovely. I must admit I would take any cabin on QE2 in grades M7 to Q1.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I have no doubt that the upper level cabins are a treat and that there are lots of perks. Personally I'd like to go Princess Grill one of these days mostly because I like the looks of the dining room. For any prospective QE2 passengers (especially those considering the rare QE2 crossings) I would like to say don't be put off by talk of "steerage" etc regarding Mauretania level cabins and service. Both of my crossings have been M class and they've been just great. My last time I had a large M1 all to myself and I couldn't have been happier. Having breakfast and coffee delivered to my cabin, dressing up for dinner, having a glass of port with your petit fours (even in the Mauretania), meeting newfound friends for drinks in the Chart Room, watching couples dance to ballroom music etc in the Queen's Room, dozing off on a wooden deck chair under one of the lifeboats.. These are all things that hardly typify "steerage"! I know it's meant as tongue in cheek, but in case anyone is put off by the thought of Mauretania or Caronia level cabins...

Personally I'd like to go Princess Grill one of these days mostly because I like the looks of the dining room.

If you were to go for the food you'd be disappointed - The food is no better than the Caronia (I haven't eaten in the Mauretania recently enough to be able to comment), the service is only slightly better.

"Balcony - very nice of course. I like it whatever the trip (and I include a crossing in that)". "I'm known by those on the Signal Deck".

Balconies are very nice of course, that's why people want one, and modern ships have them, I'm glad you've been converted into a balcony lover. I'm sure you don't need me to give you the names of a couple of other ships with a wider selection of these types of balcony cabins. And on those, the top cabins aren't in the worst position.

And while it's wonderful that you're known on Signal Deck when on board the lizzie, I'm sure you're remembered elsewhere when on land. You should see the rest of the ship as well (maybe between breakfast and morning coffee one day?). She's full of character and charm, fixtures and fittings from a bygone age. When seen from a distance (so you can take in her lines and curves) there is no better looking cruise ship afloat today. Quite a statement when you consider she's 40 years old and has had those lovely lines altered over the years!

I love reading of your experiences of lizzie 2 and how some things have changed over the decades and yet some have stayed the same. I hope you've another voyage coming up really soon so that afterwards you can post something about her. She won't be around forever so get as many trips in as you can, while you can. May you have great times at sea for a few more years yet.

With very best wishes and thanks

One of the best lessons of life on the Queen Elizabeth 2 is that money cannot buy class!

Matthew

AMEN to that!!...and I've promised myself that's all I'm going to say on that topic!!:rolleyes: except.....

Karie...LOL!!!

And now I'm going to take my evil twin and get out of the way before she says any more!!!

Cheers, Penny

Q3 v Q2.

Q3 - proper "ship" cabins. More hanging space space.

Q2 - slightly "hotel room" feel. Less hanging space, unless you get 8001 or 8002.

Forget the bar part of it. Economically it is a non-starter. You could drink yourself to death on the difference between a Q3 and a Q2.

Balcony - very nice of course. I like it whatever the trip (and I include a crossing in that). Sitting taking tea in lovely weather, on the greatest ship afloat is a truly special feeling.

However, what makes the Q2 grade worth the money in my view is the service. Not the Butler service part of it - there is (in practice) no separate "butler" - but service that is superb, where all you have to do is ask and it is sorted (the winter crossing club know the score on this). Full Queens Grill menu for dining in your cabin. And at a table too!

It's the sort of service where your individual likes and dislikes are remembered from one trip to another.

In my view the Signal Deck on Queen Elizabeth 2 is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Makes the Waldorf=Astoria look inept, and the Savoy impersonal (both hotels I have stayed in the night after leaving the Queen Elizabeth 2).

I'm known by those on the Signal Deck, so probably get slightly better service. But in our time on the ship we've stayed in 8081 (Q1) as well as 8001 and 8009, and I have had 8018. Our first trip on the Signal Deck was in 8081 on a transatlantic landing up in New York after a really bad storm - and my wife was very unwell and unhappy for the first two full days. The service then was lovely - and they judged to perfection the way to deal with us to make us feel at home.

There is one big but however. The Signal Deck is not the place for poor sailors. The wind whistles round the balconies, and the whole deck moves more than any other. The further forward you go, the worse the problem. The Q1s are the worst grill cabins for movement! If this is likely to be a serious problem then the dilemma is greater - and you may well feel that a deck one Q3 is the better bet.

Of course a deck 2 QS might be the ideal cabin on a crossing.....

My own view is that the Q2 (and get a Signal Deck one if you can) is well worth the money.

I can see the arguments that the ship geeks (;) ) will put forward for the Q3, but for me they are not persuasive. They are, however, perfectly valid.

Your budget is the big decider, together with your ability as a sailor. If you have doubts about the latter, get one of the back Q2s - 8018 (right at the back) is significantly better than 8001 (right at the front of the Q2s). You might also prefer to spend money on wine in the restaurant rather than on your cabin - how much time do you actually spend in the cabin?

Which trip are you thinking of?

Oh Kindlychap, I wondered if you'd marry me next time we're on earth together and we can share our lives floating around on the QE2. I'm spoken for this time round....................icon7.gif

Okay, okay, play.

I just have to ask. All of you guys bragging about all of your grill trips and the service and not having to hang with us common folks, hoi polloi and all.

I have to ask- What is it that you all do that you have so much money to throw around that you blithely pan other accommodations *yes, I know, each of you mentions times in Mauretania and Coronia, etc, etc, etc) but the bragging/sighing about the superiority of Grill and its passengers (yes, I am being hyperbolic and rude- I admit it- and just a but sarcastic and having fun with certain people...who will likely have NO sense of humor at all. I guess in the rarefied air, it is the second thing to go...after humility.) So what is it you guys do to afford this. I make pretty good money, and I can't afford to do grill, much less repeatedly. Unless I live in a tar paper shack, take the bus to work and wear second hand clothes. and maybe not even then! Or is it inherited (unearned) money- Easy come, esy go, and Daddy will just advance me more?

Yeah, I am being a snot, and I don't really mean it. I am just jealous. Although one reason I might NOT want to go grill is I think Brittania (on QM2) is much more elegant and fun, and I would miss having all of my friends around, since doubtless not all of them would choose to spend exorbitant amounts on grill.

So what is your secret, folks?

Karie, who wishes one of you frequent grillers would adopt her for just one cruise. So I could see for myself what all the hoopla and folderol is about.

Karie, if I win the lottery this weekend, I'll post on here. Mail me and you and yours and me and mine (and I know the rules of grammar!) will go QE2 grill class somewhere just for the hell of it. And I had a bad day the other day too!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Kindlychap, I wondered if you'd marry me next time we're on earth together and we can share our lives floating around on the QE2. I'm spoken for this time round....................icon7.gif

I'm spoken for too, but I'm sort of hoping that it will be for eternity....

But a love of the Queen Elizabeth 2 must be one of the best qualities of a lady!

Matthew

... Having breakfast and coffee delivered to my cabin, dressing up for dinner, having a glass of port with your petit fours (even in the Mauretania), meeting newfound friends for drinks in the Chart Room, watching couples dance to ballroom music etc in the Queen's Room, dozing off on a wooden deck chair under one of the lifeboats.. These are all things that hardly typify "steerage"! I know it's meant as tongue in cheek, but in case anyone is put off by the thought of Mauretania or Caronia level cabins...

John, I agree with you. Your words capture the pleasure of simply being on-board QE2.

And well-said about the "s-word". It is really a shame that some people will not consider booking with Cunard due to the perceived "class system". I wish this were not true. However, if it is, your sentiments surely will cast a more positive light on the great pleasure of a crossing regardless of one's accommodations.

-Tom

I'm spoken for too, but I'm sort of hoping that it will be for eternity....

But a love of the Queen Elizabeth 2 must be one of the best qualities of a lady!

Matthew

Thank you Matthew. You're a gent and no mistake (assumes best Mrs Bridges accent and demeanour!). Me too on the eternity issue, and I wouldn't want it any other way!:)

Archived