Just returned from Caribbean Princess

cruise fairy

Just returned from the Caribbean Princess on Sunday. Had a wonderful time, beautiful ship. The weather was very nice, although a little cloudier than previous cruises....but who cares....we were cruising. I did seem to feel the motion of the ship more than in the past, but nothing that a little ginger didn't cure.

I do have one complaint though.......the Lotus Spa! really disappointed in one staff member's approach to selling. I was scheduled for a mani/pedi the first morning after sailaway. Had my manicure, Georgia was delightful, manicure was very relaxing.....lovin' my manicure. I know the staff has to try to sell each customer their goods...I even purchased something I didn't really need, but Georgia was sooo convincing:)

Pedicure.....started off with staff (she didn't introduce herself, I didn't have my glasses with me to read her name) trying to sell me a 'body brush'.

Her approach was something like this: Staff: "Do you know why I'm brushing your skin?" Me: " I guess for exfoliation?" Staff: "Why else?" Me: "I don't know" Staff: "Just look at your legs, look at your thighs! I see fat and cellulite and alot of it". Me: :eek: (now I'm 46 yrs old, 5'6" 132 lbs.. just lost about 30 lbs and was feeling pretty good about myself). At this point she literally grabbed my upper-outer thigh and said "look at this" and shook it!!! And advised me I needed to purchase her brush to help me get rid of "all that fat". Well I didn't buy the brush and remained pretty quiet for the rest of the pedicure. So much for relaxation and feeling good about yourself. I wish Princess or Steiner (whoever runs the Spa) didn't go for such a hard sell, kind of takes away from the tranquil feel of the spa.

Food was excellent, didn't have a bad meal. But of course I didn't eat as much as I would have liked because of "all my fat". Just kidding, I ate what I wanted and still lost 1 lb. Princess pizza is awesome!

We really enjoyed MUTS. I know some folks don't like it, but I would definitely crusie with MUTS again.

We booked for the Emerald next March, can't wait. Probably won't be getting the pedicure though:(

I am so sorry that you had to endure that rudeness from the Steiner pedicurist! That is really beyond the pale--hope you did not tip her. Princess has started a satisfaction guaranteed program in the spa so that if a passenger is unhappy with the spa treatment, they can receive a refund. Sounds like they really need such a program.

Glad you were able to have a good cruise anyway!

The Steiner staff are such a constant source of complaints from people on cruise ships. It is too bad that the Princess experiment of running their own spas didn't work out and they then cancelled the program. I think it would be better if they had control of the staff and their attitudes.

The Steiner staff are such a constant source of complaints from people on cruise ships. It is too bad that the Princess experiment of running their own spas didn't work out and they then cancelled the program. I think it would be better if they had control of the staff and their attitudes.

So Princess doen't run the spa at all? How long has Steiner been running the spa? Our first cruise and my first shipboard spa experience on Princess was much different....a little over 3 years ago.

This time I felt I couldn't relax and enjoy the experience...I was actually going to book another spa treatment, but decided that I didn't want the hassle of #1 being called fat and #2 having to nicely tell them I didn't want whatever product they were schlepping.

The more I think about the experience, the more it infuriates me that I literally sat there and took it! My husband couldn't believe I tolerated it. I guess I was just too stunned to say anything.

Its reallly a shame because being pampered in a spa is a HUGE part of my vacation. Oh well, live and learn

Hi, We also just returned from this same sailing and several of us had several treatments thought the week. For myself and my girl friend we went on the same day and had the seaweed wrap which we have had before on Princess. This time it was different. My girlfriends treatment was given by a girl and mine was given by a man so not sure if that is why ours where different or not but they should had been the same but they where not. Anyway after the treatment they do sell hard and are very pushy and before you can even get dressed! in fact my girlfriend was even told how much of a tip she was expected to give!

I did go to the spa the next day and return the products and complained about the service and difference of our service. I am still paying for the back message I received! and will more than likely have to go the my chiropractor! :eek: We also did this on a port day thinking it would be the best price as it always used to be...well needless to say the next day was a day at sea and the price for this was less! I was not impressed with the lotus spa like I have been before on Princess and do plan to file a complaint with Princess about my experience.

Hi, We also just returned from this same sailing and several of us had several treatments thought the week. For myself and my girl friend we went on the same day and had the seaweed wrap which we have had before on Princess. This time it was different. My girlfriends treatment was given by a girl and mine was given by a man so not sure if that is why ours where different or not but they should had been the same but they where not. Anyway after the treatment they do sell hard and are very pushy and before you can even get dressed! in fact my girlfriend was even told how much of a tip she was expected to give!

I did go to the spa the next day and return the products and complained about the service and difference of our service. I am still paying for the back message I received! and will more than likely have to go the my chiropractor! :eek: We also did this on a port day thinking it would be the best price as it always used to be...well needless to say the next day was a day at sea and the price for this was less! I was not impressed with the lotus spa like I have been before on Princess and do plan to file a complaint with Princess about my experience.

Sorry about your experience, but I'm glad it was not just me being over-sensitive. I plan to file a complaint as well. I hope Princess truly hears the complaints of its customers!

I don't plan on going to another line, but if the quality of its services continue to decline......yikes...:eek:

We all go on vacation and choose cruise lines for different reasons, if those reasons are taken away.....well people search for the line that meets their needs.

I think Steiner has the spa concessions on many cruise lines, not just Princess. Complaints about their hard sells are common on these boards. I'm sure you'll find the same complaints about Steiner from Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and anywhere else they've got the spa contracts.

I would strongly suggest you write a constructive letter of complaint to Princess. I had an awful experience with Steiner aboard the Star several years ago and followed up with a letter to Princess. I got a "real" apology letter back from Princess with a promise to fordward my complaint on to Steiner. I not only got a letter of apology from Steiner they sent me a gift certificate for $100 to be used on the purchase of their products off their web site. Since they actually peddle something I use I was thrilled. :D

Just a curious question-- but if we are unhappy with the service in the spa-- who would you complain to on the ship?

I dont think waiting til we get home to take care of it is the answer.

I would strongly suggest you write a constructive letter of complaint to Princess. I had an awful experience with Steiner aboard the Star several years ago and followed up with a letter to Princess. I got a "real" apology letter back from Princess with a promise to fordward my complaint on to Steiner. I not only got a letter of apology from Steiner they sent me a gift certificate for $100 to be used on the purchase of their products off their web site. Since they actually peddle something I use I was thrilled. :D

Thank you for writing. Where did you write too ? Seattle ? I dont really care for any products but think they need to hear what is really going onboard the ship with the spa!

lv2cruise2 although it's been a couple of years ago I believe I just addressed my letter to:

Princess Cruises

Corporate Headquarters

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

I'm not wild about their products either - EXCEPT the powder bronzer which I have used for years and love. At $50 a bottle I got free probably enough to last my lifetime.

serene56 - the issue would be finding someone onboard who could really do something about the problem and provide one with full satisfaction. Unless a "problem" needs immediate attention (such as bathroom overflowing) a well written constructive letter following one's cruise usually nets more positive results. And, although Steiner is contracted by Princess it is an enity of its own and they are the ones the complaint really needs to be handled by (via/from Princess).

Just a curious question-- but if we are unhappy with the service in the spa-- who would you complain to on the ship?

I dont think waiting til we get home to take care of it is the answer.

I don't agree

#1 the experience was embarasssing, last thing I wanted was to demonstrate what the spa staff did. Wasn't up for anyone else looking at my thighs :) (they really don't look that bad)

#2 - there was no one with real authority in the spa

#3 - I feel they would have given me a free treatment, or not had me pay for my pedicure, as compensation. This not the purpose of the complaint.

The purpose of the complaint is to advise someone in authority with the cruise line of my (the customer) dis-satisfaction with the service. Maybe if enough complaints are registered, the cruise line will do something about the rudeness of the hard-sell.

Spongerob - I didn't realize that Steiner was responsible for most of the spas on other cruise lines.....thanks for the info.:)

We're on the CB in April and were planning on getting the couples package for the week. I can't remember the name of it but it is $109 for both for the week. Should we rethink that idea?

**Just looked up the november patter, it is the couples thermal sanctuary package**

We've had ten cruises with Princess and until recently always booked a full Swedish massage for DW and I on the first sea day. However after a cruise on the Sapphire last October we got fed up of their full-on sales pitch DURING the massage. It's supposed to be a relaxing experience and I don't mind making small talk with the masseur, but we can tell immediately where the small talk is headed - recommending many other treatments! Our cabin mailbox is always crammed with spa treatment offers and port/sea day specials - that's fine since we just throw them in the trash, but it came to ahead when they would call us in the cabin to see if we were interested in this and that!

Since October we were on the Sapphire again for Xmas and New Year and decided not to bother with massages (even though we did splash out on a USD 600 six month detox course:eek:) - it's just too full-on sales orientated and we can't relax..

It's a shame because the Lotus Spa staff seem very friendly and always smiling and chatting, however their sales training must be very aggressive to help compensate for them not being part of the ship's pooled tipping system.

Unless this detox course has outstanding results, I don't think we'll be bothering with spa treatments whilst on the CB in May..

BTW: if we have any complaints whilst on board (concerning the Spa or whatever) we fill in the 'Let Us know' sheets at the purser's desk. Generally someone then get's back to us with a personalized response within three or four days.

I guess the spa stuff wont be for me.

I am interested in the above question too- is the thermal sanctuary a seperate thing from the spa? I mean--will people working at the spa come into the sanctuary for a hard sale pitch while we are trying to relax?

I guess the spa stuff wont be for me.

I am interested in the above question too- is the thermal sanctuary a seperate thing from the spa? I mean--will people working at the spa come into the sanctuary for a hard sale pitch while we are trying to relax?

It's called thermal suite and you do it all on your own whenever you want. Only contact with spa personnel is when you check in and out. They give you a robe and locker key. Towels are in the suite area. We loved it, especially the hot (actually warm) tile loungers. They only sell so many a cruise, so if you want it, get it ASAP after boarding. We took a tour of the spa and purchased ours during the tour.

They only sell so many a cruise, so if you want it, get it ASAP after boarding. We took a tour of the spa and purchased ours during the tour.

after boarding I want to head to Sterlings/Sabatinis to make our reservations. then off to tour the spa to see if the thermal suite is something I would use during the week- is there a hot tub located in the suite?

The only items in the Thermal Suite are a couple of different steam/aromatherapy rooms, the warm stone loungers and some showers. If you want the hot tub, then it is outside at the lotus/lap pool.

If you only want a steam or sauna they have free ones as well in the changing rooms.

Cheers,

Peter

The only items in the Thermal Suite are a couple of different steam/aromatherapy rooms, the warm stone loungers and some showers. If you want the hot tub, then it is outside at the lotus/lap pool.

If you only want a steam or sauna they have free ones as well in the changing rooms.

Cheers,

Peter

Some people like the fact that the steam/sauna rooms in the Thermal Suite are coed.

Don, do you know if the sanctuary pass something you can prebook? I did not see it listed, but maybe it's hidden.

Thanks for your wealth of information!

Because that is something I am interested in I did a lot of looking into it,

THe pass is something you buy onboard.. and there is a limit to the amount of passes they sell. So if its something you want-- do it early.

Don, do you know if the sanctuary pass something you can prebook? I did not see it listed, but maybe it's hidden.

Thanks for your wealth of information!

Serene56 is correct. We bought ours in the early afternoon and they had already sold half of the passes. You can buy a pass for a single or couple. If you're a single I would look for another to share it with. It was $79 pp & $109 pc. It's not really a pass. They put a sticker on your cruise card. So even if you share the cost, you don't have to go together.

Matt, aren't you going on the CB the cruise after mine?

Archived