Would like to here your views

Shogun

When balconies were not that big a deal we were happy with an ocean view cabin...and then we got a balcony. It surprised us that dh physically felt better on that cruise than any before and I think it was because we were able to 'open the doors' and get some fresh air. He has a breathing problem and since we've done nothing but balconies and mini-suites he seems to enjoy cruising a lot more. Once in a while I get treated to a full suite...like our CB cruise in March. That really spoils you and you never want anything else, altho mini suites are close. So, it really depends on personal circumstances. I would cruise every month if I could...but once a year seems to be all my dh will do. Even tho we're retired and could cruise more, I can't get him on more than one a year. Maybe someday he will change but for now I look forward to my yearly cruise.

To the OP.

Quality vs. Quantity. Quantity vs. Quality.

Some love just being on the ship, no matter what the cabin category, and I totally respect that. Some passengers only use their cabin to sleep, shower and change clothes. No need for a better cabin if this is all you use it for.

Others feel that the cabin comfort makes or breaks a good cruise from a great cruise. They spend more time relaxing in their cabin, time watching the ocean from their private balcony with no distractions or crowds.

We fall into the second category. We could probably cruise every 6-8 weeks and have a less expensive cabin but prefer to cruise every 3-4 months with a mini suite or above. We do spend a lot of time in our cabin, we love to entertain and have guests over for drinks. Therefore, we need a bit more space.

But I respect those that like to cruise in an inside cabin, in ways, they may be smarter than we are. LOL

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We, however, don't cruise every 3 to 4 months as we still have kids at home and in college.

Different strokes for different folks..

When we started cruising we had an inside room. Wife said OK, we were young.

Got upgraded to an ocean view and wife said wow I can see the sky. No more inside rooms for us.

Got upgraded to a balcony and wife said wow I can smell the fresh air. No more ocean views for us.

Got upgraded to a mini and wife said wow a couch I can relax on, nicer bed and a tub and shower in the bathroom. No more ocean views for us.

I am really hoping that we do NOT get upgraded to a full suite..

Largin,

This is funny, our first cruise was a balcony cabin. I just can not be inside, our bedroom has a balcony. The second cruise we got upgraded to a PH suite. Holy cow, bigger than our first appartment. I would love to do that all the time, but way to expensive.

We now balance our time depending on cruise length between balcony and mini suite. We can only get away a couple times a year so the room kind of rates high on our list.

For my first trip on a ship (1968) I was given a hammock and shared the whole space (not the hammock!) with 20 other naval officer cadets, food was brought in pots to us and spooned onto stainless steel multi compartment plates and we ate at the tables in the same space as the hammocks (although they were stowed).

Last year I had a mini suite on the Coral, a balcony cabin on the Island and an inside cabin on the Grand. The beds were the same, the stewards were just as attentive and the only real advantage of the balcony was when we had champagne breakfast going through the canal.

I think the type of accomodation you buy depends entirely on where the ship is going, the expected weather and what you intend to do in the cabin. If you just want to sleep then an inside cabin is perfect, if you want to entertain and have mini cocktail parties then a mini suite is perfect. There is not right and no wrong.

I think the type of accomodation you buy depends entirely on where the ship is going, the expected weather and what you intend to do in the cabin. If you just want to sleep then an inside cabin is perfect, if you want to entertain and have mini cocktail parties then a mini suite is perfect. There is not right and no wrong.

I agree with billet.

We mix it up a lot. We go from mini-suites back to obstructed o/v,

back to mini; upgrade ourselves to full suite, back to obstructed o/v;

We find that if we do have no balcony, we spend much more time

outside the cabin.

We started off cruising in Balcony cabins but have since moved to Inside Cabins as we prefer it. I can sleep like the dead in an Inside Cabin. I guess it is the total darkness. And they seem quieter to me. But that part is probably my imagination.

To each their own....okay, off to check my booking to see if I've been upgraded to a Balcony Cabin. Ha-ha-ha!! :)

Our first cruise we were down by the engines i think (but being young we were happy to be there.)

As the years have gone by we have been upgrading little by little until last cruise to Hawaii we had booked a mini suite until NCL called and asked us if we wanted to upgrade to a romance suite (it was our 25th annv). The price was right and I never regreted it but you guys are right it does spoil you. We spend time watching moves, sitting having coffee on the balcony,taking naps etc.. a comfortable room is a must!

This March we are cruising to Tahiti and I have booked an owners suite-kids are finally gone! I figure if you're able why not.

Happy cruizing it's the best value out there!

We were so "green" and young on our first RCCL Sun Viking cruise....we were put in a cabin that was shaped like a triangle; had two portholes for windows, (you know, the washing machine windows) and we both could not walk in the same area for fear of knocking each other over....I thought it was PERFECT!

Until another passenger invited us for cocktails in their cabin, I had no idea that everyone did not have the same cabins! OMG.....I asked how much did you have to spend to have this cabin? It was less than we paid......(How depressing is that?)

We were in "crews quarters!" The ship was so booked some of the crew were asked to give up their cabins and quadruple-up!......

Since than, we've cruised a lot and I'm pretty happy with our cabin choices, from; mini suites/vernanda's/outside to even an inside. I know what to ask for and what to look out for!

I'm so thrilled to be on a ship and not have a cabin like our very first one, that almost anything looks good to me! (Well, not anything!)

:eek:

It must indeed be nice to have that much vacation time (that face is green for a reason - WITH ENVY!). Oh well, I can usually manage to beg, borrow, or con my way into at least 4 weeks a year, but with some of that committed to timeshares it does not leave a whole lot left over for cruising. As previous posters have mentioned, there really is not a "right" or "wrong" answer to this question. Mostly a matter of personal preference, time availability, and $$$ available to splurge with. You can make a pretty strong case for either side and since I have done both I have no problems with either option. Let's just declare it a draw ----- and keep on cruising!

Archived