Is there any shopping at port in Grand Caymen?

Cant Wait 4 Cruisin!

I think all of the piers are right in town. When we got off the tenders, you walk a short distance up to a gate, and right through the gate are a TON of shops. Hard Rock and Margaritaville are like a 5 minute walk from the pier and Margaritaville is the second level of a shopping area. LOTS of stuff to do right off the tenders.

As far as beaches go, I don't know. We had an excursion booked for the whole day.

Lots of shops in Georgetown. Great deals on watches and perfume. We found out very quickly though that if the ships aren't in port, the shops all close. Not good if you're staying on the island like we were. If you want a fantastic Italian meal, try out Cassanova. You won't be sorry.

If your ship docks or tenders into Georgetown, you'll be able to walk to LOTS of shops. When our ship arrived at Grand Cayman a few days after Christmas, the port of Georgetown was closed due to rough water conditions, so we anchored in Spott's Bay and had to take a taxibus into Georgetown... Some people apparently weren't paying attention to the shipboard announcements, because they got off the tenders still expecting to see shops! But the locals were well prepared for our arrival, and there were plenty of taxibusses there to handle everyone.

I don't think there are beaches within walking distance of the port, but a taxibus from Seven-Mile Beach to Georgetown last December only cost $4 per person (and took about 15 minutes), so I assume the reverse would also be true.

Lots of shopping in Georgetown as the others have posted. I do not particularily enjoy the shopping in Grand Cayman. Its much different than the "markets" you can find at the other ports. Its alot of expensive high end jewelry with a few overprised t shirt shops between. If you are expecting a "market" type shopping like is common in other ports, you may be disappointed. If you are looking for high end jewelry you may enjoy it. I found the prices to be much higher than anywhere else we went to in the Caribbean, but I guess there's always the possiblity of finding a deal.

Grand Cayman is one of the wealthiest islands in the Caribbean. One has top look at a different nationality bank on every corner to understand why!!:eek:

So shopping is limited and very high end in my opinion.

Tom&Deb:)

Grand Cayman is one of the wealthiest islands in the Caribbean. One has top look at a different nationality bank on every corner to understand why!!:eek:

So shopping is limited and very high end in my opinion.

Tom&Deb:)

Concur - Cayman has a very high standard of living and the shops carry very high end stuff.

But note - that does NOT assure you of getting a good deal. If you plan to shop for high end stuff I strongly recommend you know your prices and then be sure you are comparing apples to apples. There are a zillion options available on a Rolex. Just because it came from CI does not assure you of saving money. A few years ago Service Merchandise would beat CI prices on a Movado any day of the week....{of course they also went out of business sooooooo ;) }

You CAN get a good deal, but the merchants there know if YOU know....

Cayman was not an exceptionally good place to shop. The exchange rate is high. Most prices are not in dollars so you'll be charged more for your meals and purchases.

If you are going to Cayman, chances are you are also going to Cozumel. This town is much more fun to shop in and better buys can be found. Just don't buy at the first asking price!

Archived