Road To Hana In Maui April 15, 2007

fontagumas

My husband Bob (50) and I (50) will be arriving in Maui aboard the Infinity and would LOVE to see the Road to Hana. We would prefer a small van (6-8) passengers rather than a large tour bus. Does anyone know if the ship tour is a large bus? :confused: It doesn't say what kind of vehicle does the tour on the website. TEMPTATION TOURS has a great website and would be willing to pick us up at the ship if we had 6 more people willing to join us. Much too expensive to charter a van ourselves!

I have never been on the ships tour to Hana but I doubt very much if it would be a big bus. The road has many,many turns and quite a few one lane bridges to go over on the way to Hana. Also has a steep dropoff. We did this on our own in a Town Car and it was quite hairy going around those blind turns. It took us about 4 hours to get there. Pat

I would also recommend renting a car and doing it on your own. You don't want to depend upon a tour director to decide where you want to stop and take photos, take a dip in a stream or waterfall, etc. The few places with bathrooms on the road are porta-potties, and a bus would have some wait for everyone to go. If you have ever done any mountain driving at all, it is not difficult to drive (and you certainly cannot get lost). You can purchase guidebooks or audiotours that will tell you where to stop or to pull off the main road to see sights. Just give yourself enough time, and take it slow.

We are looking at doing this in the fall. We are docking in Lahaina. How long, without stops, will it take to get to Hana? (We do plan on stopping, but want just driving time.) When time is sunrise/sunset in Hawaii in September?

It has to be a small bus, the road would not accomadate large ones.

We did a helicopter to the top and a car meet us at the top with a fabulous gourmet lunch which we had at one of the beaches( forgot the company's name...blue hawaii was the helicopter company... they put the thing together i believe their were 6 of us plus the driver) and drove us down stoppping along the way...fabulous day

It has to be a small bus, the road would not accomadate large ones.

We did a helicopter to the top and a car meet us at the top with a fabulous gourmet lunch which we had at one of the beaches( forgot the company's name...blue hawaii was the helicopter company... they put the thing together i believe their were 6 of us plus the driver) and drove us down stoppping along the way...fabulous day

Archived