Canadian Currency

flip

Transit ..want's the exact change ALL the time and will take your Quarters. But no exchange ..I'm not sure on your bills though sorry.

We have 1 & 2 dollar coins now referred to as Loonies and twonies you will need them. Machines for sky train/sea bus take Canadian paper and coin.

SO... if you need that I would suggest you change your money to ours at an exchange or bank. Easily done and the exchanges are in the airports and other public areas where tourists pass. Major hotels/Granville island etc.

Because the buck is around 20 cents to your good right now .... off course we will take it. Taxi's love it at par... oops I can't work that out etc. and although most stores will take it they will give poor exchange. Major stores are OK. & have rates posted in bigger cities.

YOur credit card if it has good rates built in is a good way of not needed a lot of cash. Most Cabs take them. Just find out how your card company deals with the transaction first before you leave home.

Of course merchants will accept US dollars in most major centers like Vancouver and Victoria because we are heavily dependant on the tourist dollar. However, personally, I think it's courteous to have some Canadian money with you to pay the cab drivers; they will accept your American money but probably would prefer not to have to deal with it, etc. (no offense intended).

Using a credit card for purchases would be the best way to handle shopping here - the bill will be even less when you get back home, who can be upset about that! Plus, your credit card company will give you a fairer rate than a merchant may if you were using cash.

As stated above, city buses require exact change. Exchange is never given on coins, only paper money. Try to have some Canadian coins because that way, they will be recognized by the computers in the vending and transit ticket machines.

Enjoy your visit here!

And don't forget the "buy" and "sell" rates vary from that of the "official" bank exchange rate. For example: today the buy rate for US$ is $1.15 and the sell rate is $1.20 so you have to be a bit careful when exchanging even though the posted exchange rate for today (Jan 25) is $1.175.

It's a good idea to get some cash for transit and small purchases. The rest, you can charge to a credit card.

I think the best rates for getting foreign currency almost anywhere in the world is by using ATMs linked to your bank account. Estimate how much you think you'll need for "walking around" money for transit and small things like snacks, drinks, etc. then take it out from an ATM. Make sure you use a machine on the same network as your card. You can also check with your bank to see if there are any service charges. We've used ATMs in many other countries and it has always worked out better than at a money exchange place.

• 1 month later...

A follow up question to this.....

If we do exchange our money into CAD, how much would we need for a cab ride from the airport to the pier?

I guess what I'm asking is how much in CAD would it cost for a taxi from the airport to the pier? We don't want to use the ship's shuttle as we'd have to wait at the airport for 5 hours until it leaves!

thanks in advance

We usually rent a car for teh trip from the airport to the pier. There is always a drop off point near the pier and they will shuttle you to it. Having a car will allow you to go shopping for the treats that you will bring on board, as well as a meal and some sightseeing if you have hours to spend. All the best.

A follow up question to this.....

If we do exchange our money into CAD, how much would we need for a cab ride from the airport to the pier?

I guess what I'm asking is how much in CAD would it cost for a taxi from the airport to the pier? We don't want to use the ship's shuttle as we'd have to wait at the airport for 5 hours until it leaves!

thanks in advance

$60.00 Canadian should do it if you tip and traffic is heavy. I do believe they all take credit cards however.

Archived