Daytripping Majahual

keeponrolling

A few photos:

http://family.webshots.com/album/557151928JQLztc

Blustery, cloudy and unseasonably cool. That’s what greeted us as we steamed south on the approach to Costa Maya on the Fantasy. Immediately ahead, at some distance and tacking from the east, came the Grandeur of the Seas. It was apparent she would beat us into port. As we stood on the forward observation deck, the wind tore into the flag off the bow, chopped the sea into caps, and rocked the ship as we made our way forward. As we closed into port, it seemed the GOS was hesitating in the distance. We saw it slowly turn northward along the shore, and then it steamed on by us. Beaten by the wind, unable to navigate the tricky maneuver into port, I guess. Soon we were approached by a pilot boat, bobbing and crashing through the waves. The ship was muscled into the dock area, pushing against the wind, then turned around with slow majestic maneuvers. At about noon, it was backed into the dock alongside the Jewel of the Seas. Watching it all go down was a highlight of the trip.

Off the ship, my wife, daughter and I made our way through the port area and on to a van for the trip to Majahual. Most of the Jewel passengers had been heading back on their ship, or were already aboard, so the sandy strip of road leading to town was almost deserted. We took a few minutes to stroll along, always accompanied by someone offering food, massages, bargains galore.

From online research, I wanted to try out a couple of the beach restaurants. It was really windy and raw, not uncomfortable, but far from the sunny paradise for which we had hoped. We stopped first at Tapas. Almost no one there. Picked a table close to the water, ordered a Sol and a Margarita. (a 12 oz. Tumbler) Got something other than the beer I ordered. As you walk along, you are welcomed in to the bars by enticements of free chips and salsa, coldest $2 beer in town, best food, whatever can get your attention. After a few minutes, we asked for the chips and salsa.

“Any charge?” we asked. He went on about there being a charge, but he had to check with the manager. He came back and said in our case, they would be free. The whole scene seemed a bit strange, and after we finished our drinks we were ready to move on. “How much?” I asked.

“$8”, he said. “6 bucks for the margarita?” I asked. Needless to say we had a short chat about the prices, paid considerably less, and were glad to get on out. Just very weird.

We made our way back to the Cat's Meow, where Jorge, the very upbeat server, had chatted us up earlier. Totally different scene. Outgoing, friendly, very accommodating. Got us comfortable, brought us beers and a menu (and chips/salsa) and we sank our feet in the sand. Nachos and guacamole were yummy. After lunch Barb, the owner, stopped by each table to chat. A total restaurant professional. It shows from her environmental and cultural sympathies, the rapport of the staff, the quality of the food and the cleanliness and sanitary condition of the whole operation. She deserves her success and a visit from you when you come to town.

Oh yeah. Try the fried plantains. Offered from baskets by young vendors strolling the beach. Only a buck, but what a treat.

I learned in Majahual that the weather was very unusual and they had not had anything like it since last january. Still, I think the port does occasionally close due to high winds. I was amazed we were able to dock. It was a very skillful effort.

The GOS did at one time bash the dock, I think. Maybe they are a little more shy during wind. Hopefully some of the GOS cruisers can fill us in.

We were in Costa Maya the week of Jan 13 this year and temperature was 84 degrees (when the sun was out). The clouds came and went and the temperature followed suit. We were in a rainstorm about an hour prior to port, but it broke up quickly and was followed by partly sunny day.

I guess I am spoiled by the Grand Cayman and St. Maarten beaches, but given the price of the cruise, and the ability to get away from Missouri winter in the middle of January, it was still a treat!

If you go to Costa Maya without too much expectation about what you will get, then you won't be disappointed. It's not a horrible place, just a little less than I was expecting, but definitely was better than being in the ice storm back home. :p

GP

Archived