3rd pax pricing

hammybee

This sort of goes along with Navy_ Chief's Pricing Analysis thread but it's focusing on the overall cost when there is a 3rd pax involved.

I have been pricing June 2006 sails on Noordam for three pax. In this case, the third pax is 18. T/A pricing seems to be within $100, +/- perks for the 2 primary pax. The surprising difference is the third pax fare.

HAL considers 18 to be a child fare. Every T/A has a different threshold for age and the variance in 3rd pax pricing is enormous and makes a huge difference in the overall cabin cost. At the extreme, we are looking at almost $1,000 difference in total cabin costs and I am comparing apples to apples.

I do not recall ever seeing this much diffeerence in price and maybe it is because my DD is at the cusp, child and adult 3rd pax fare.

For those planning to sail with more than 2 pax in a cabin, the devil is in the details.

HAL just dropped another flyer in my mail box for next November 10 & 11 day Noorddam cuises offering veranda GTY $1099 (10), $1199 (11) with 3rd pax at $199. I'm sure theres better prices but this is what HAL is offering as a base figure. Requires booking by February28.

This sort of goes along with Navy_ Chief's Pricing Analysis thread but it's focusing on the overall cost when there is a 3rd pax involved.

I have been pricing June 2006 sails on Noordam for three pax. In this case, the third pax is 18. T/A pricing seems to be within $100, +/- perks for the 2 primary pax. The surprising difference is the third pax fare.

HAL considers 18 to be a child fare. Every T/A has a different threshold for age and the variance in 3rd pax pricing is enormous and makes a huge difference in the overall cabin cost. At the extreme, we are looking at almost $1,000 difference in total cabin costs and I am comparing apples to apples.

I do not recall ever seeing this much diffeerence in price and maybe it is because my DD is at the cusp, child and adult 3rd pax fare.

For those planning to sail with more than 2 pax in a cabin, the devil is in the details.

Hammy, this is new to me: as a TA we quote prices the same way the cruise lines do. I am totally confused about what you are being given. NMnita

I am traveling with 4 in a cabin and I received that postcard over a week ago. When I called HAL they could not find that price on any of the fall cruises (only spring 2007 cruises). They told me to FAX a copy of the card (which I did ) but have not heard back from them. I would be interested if anyone receives this pricing. I certainly hope you do!

I am traveling with 4 in a cabin and I received that postcard over a week ago. When I called HAL they could not find that price on any of the fall cruises (only spring 2007 cruises). They told me to FAX a copy of the card (which I did ) but have not heard back from them. I would be interested if anyone receives this pricing. I certainly hope you do!

My wife tossed it in the trash already but I believe it ts Promo PV. Try asking for that promo and see what they say.

Hammy, this is new to me: as a TA we quote prices the same way the cruise lines do. I am totally confused about what you are being given. NMnita

I have not in th epast found any difference in quotes when the 3rd pax was 17 or younger. HAL considers an 18 year old as a child ( so do I:)) and what I am finding is that most T/As consider an 18 year old as a 3rd pax adult and not eligible for the child fare.

And then there is a huge variance within the 3rd pax adult fares which can make or break the entire cost of the cabin.

I have never seen anything like this before. So what it means is that while the costs of the first two pax is competitive, there seems to be something else going on with the whole 3rd pax deal. BTW, I am comparing like situations, including port charges, taxes and the Alaskan surcharge.

I have not in th epast found any difference in quotes when the 3rd pax was 17 or younger. HAL considers an 18 year old as a child ( so do I:)) and what I am finding is that most T/As consider an 18 year old as a 3rd pax adult and not eligible for the child fare.

And then there is a huge variance within the 3rd pax adult fares which can make or break the entire cost of the cabin.

I have never seen anything like this before. So what it means is that while the costs of the first two pax is competitive, there seems to be something else going on with the whole 3rd pax deal. BTW, I am comparing like situations, including port charges, taxes and the Alaskan surcharge.

you know this just shouldn't be: the 3rd person charges should be the same regardless of how it is booked: TA, ON line, calling, whatever. I am mildly upset about this. Someone seems to be trying to rip someone else off. Our prices should be whatever the cruise line charges, cut and dry unless we have booked a block of cabins. If the third person is $199 plus port and government that it what everyone should be charging. OH well, I guess there is nothing I can do about it. Go for the best rate you can get and forget the perks unless they are really outstanding. NMnita

I have the promo stuff but it's not for the sailings I am looking at, all of which will sell out, with our without me.

Most online booking engines cut off kids rates at 17 as do most cruise lines. HAL is an exception. So maybe some of this is that an 18 year old does not fit the model or maybe some TA's are looking to make a few more $. All I know is that I have to look at total cabin cost, not just the best per pax/dbl occupancy fare.

HAL just dropped another flyer in my mail box for next November 10 & 11 day Noorddam cuises offering veranda GTY $1099 (10), $1199 (11) with 3rd pax at $199. I'm sure theres better prices but this is what HAL is offering as a base figure. Requires booking by February28.

If the promotion actually reads this way, it sounds as though you can book a guarantee cabin with a third person. I was under the impression that when you book a guarantee, it can only be two persons max.?

If the promotion actually reads this way, it sounds as though you can book a guarantee cabin with a third person. I was under the impression that when you book a guarantee, it can only be two persons max.?

Always call HAL just to check out any sales or promos they run then talk to your TA and see what they tell you. Always shop and do your homework before you book, no matter who you book with.

When we sail as a family unit of 3, we have not been able to get a guarantee. It throws a wrench into the allocation routine because not all cabins can accommodate 3-4 pax.

Archived