Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Very close Ruby - since it was moved forward a month so Legal have longer to go through it! We are getting there but as you say - smokin' hot at the moment and getting very irritable! Woe betide someone asks me something NOT to do with cruise ships !!

Cruise ship, cruise ship, cruise ship. I wanted to get your attention! Where do you stand on the book deadline versus publication versus your own personal cruises?

Ruby

Cruise ship, cruise ship, cruise ship. I wanted to get your attention! Where do you stand on the book deadline versus publication versus your own personal cruises?

Ruby

Ah - I worked backwards from the cruise !! Fortunately for the book, I only had two booked, one I took immediately after we were given the commission, the next will hopefully fall immediately after proof reading (I hope !) Otherwsie it could work out very expensive in internet charges !!

On top of that anyway, I have a local book to complete by end of October and last week I discovered I was booked to speak at the London International Ship Show - nice of them to confirm!! Not !!

By Oceana I can see me falling onto a sunbed with a do not disturb sign for 24 days !! Still, so far so good - we are on the revised schedule ! Still think we deserve a free cruise by the end of it !

My goodness, what a marvelous discussion you have been having for the last few years! I stumbled in here while searching for something else (looking for a review of Orion's expeditions to Antarctica). I am deeply impressed by the wealth of ocean-travel experience shared here. I most emphatically agree with the writer who commented that all the gimmicks and glitter are secondary: the important thing is to be at sea! I have been just as happy on the deck of a North Sea ferry as on the finest ocean liner.

yes all these are definatly booked, melody in was on in 1997 durban to genoa via seychelles so this time going via west africa. boudicca i waS ON twice before as golden princess on my 2nd cruise anmd a mini cruise on boudicca. radiance of the seas not been on before did vision of the seas in april and was a bit dissapointed but after hearing asbout all the new restaurant am looking forward to it.

dave

My goodness, what a marvelous discussion you have been having for the last few years! I stumbled in here while searching for something else (looking for a review of Orion's expeditions to Antarctica). I am deeply impressed by the wealth of ocean-travel experience shared here. I most emphatically agree with the writer who commented that all the gimmicks and glitter are secondary: the important thing is to be at sea! I have been just as happy on the deck of a North Sea ferry as on the finest ocean liner.

Welcome Ralph, fellow Leonardo Da Vinci past passenger and veteran of the ocean liner past. We'd love to hear about some of your travels aboard the classic vessels you've sailed on. It's becoming more and more difficult to find passengers who have had those kind of experiences from the golden years.:)

Welcome to what we posters on this thread consider to be one of the more top-drawer discussions on Cruise Critic. And thanks for the kind comments.

Conte and Donald are our maritime experts and MMDownUnder and I am the Travel Department. Host Sharon is our resident scribe for all things cruising.

I agree with you about being happy at sea. There is a ferry in Galveston TX that I love to ride; my cousin always schedules a cruise on the Port Bolivar Ferry when I'm in town. And I subscribe to Lord Byron's comment, "Roll on thou deep and dark blue ocean, roll." I love to be upon the high seas. I like calm waters but truly enjoy the rock 'n roll experiences of the more tempestuous seas.

Again, congrats on finding our little group. We hope you enjoy it as much as we have lo these many years.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Howdy, Ralph! It is amazing that three of us - Ralph, Conte and myself - were aboard Leonardo da Vinci in 1961 (though I did so for only a couple of hours or so). Ralph, did you travel First Class and recognize Conte's table waiters, as well as my Uncle Frank's suntanning area on Queen Elizabeth?

Donald.

Thank you, one and all, for the warm reception --- rather like boarding a ship for the first time, and being invited into the conversation by a set of table-mates who've cruised together for years!

My exposure to the transatlantic liners stemmed from my father's employment. I was an ordinary, shipless kid in Detroit, Michigan until Dad, a quality-assurance engineer for Chrysler, accepted a transfer to their International Division in Geneva, Switzerland in 1959. It was a great job for him: for seven years, every few months he would fly off for a few weeks to consult at a plant in Argentina, Greece, Malaya, Australia, etcetera, while we enjoyed friendly, cosmopolitan Genève, company-paid education at l'École Internationale, and easy travel around Europe. Every second year, the company paid our round-trip travel expenses to the States for "home leave". Thus, the ships!

Having left the USA at age 5, I was still a little squirt (un petit moussaillon, as we say in French) just turning 7 when we boarded the Leonardo da Vinci for that first home-leave trip in July 1961. Our outbound transatlantic crossing in 1959 had been by propellor-driven Douglas DC-7C aircraft, soon to be replaced by jets (another nostalgia topic!). I believe we were in Cabin Class. My most vivid memory is of a mid-Atlantic storm that had the dishes sliding back and forth on the dinner-table one evening. I found this utterly fascinating and amusing. Happily, I was not a bit seasick, but many people were. My parents and the waiters appeared tense and harried, not enjoying the meal nearly as much as I was, with the crash of breaking crockery (for which I was NOT responsible and would NOT be punished) all over the dining room adding that element of anarchy so pleasing to little boys.

My older brothers (12 and 11 at the time) later had a laugh at my expense by telling me all about the sinking of the Andrea Doria, that we were now passing over the same spot, and that we would probably sink that day. I hovered near the cabin all day in great worry, ready to grab my orange life-jacket as soon as the alarms sounded. I could barely restrain myself from putting the jacket on and waiting at the muster station by the lifeboats. I love my brothers dearly, but I have never quite forgiven them for that one... :mad:

Edited by RalphRackstraw

On our longest home-leave voyage, eastbound New York to Naples in 1965 aboard the Constitution, I had the misfortune of contracting an ear infection shortly after leaving Madeira. I was feverish and confined to my cabin on antibiotics, unable to go ashore at Casablanca, Gibraltar, and Palma da Mallorca. Naturally, my brothers regaled me with tales of their wondrous adventures in each port, leaving me wild with frustration and envy! My greatest consolation was the dignified, white-jacketed steward who kept me well supplied with reading material and wonderful tall, cool glasses of fruit juice. I still remember the grape juice in particular as about the most soothing, delicious, perfectly hitting-the-spot beverage I have ever drunk. Aaaaahhhhh! :o

Welcome from me too Ralph. I have to agree that just being at sea is enough. If I need a quick fix an hour each way on the Isle of Wight Ferry will keep me going, especially if cruise ships are sailing from Southampton that day and sail past!

Sadly I never saw the great liners, my earliest experience being in 1977 with NAL, but even then they still upheld the great traditions of mid morning bouillon and being wrapped in blankets on deck !

Today I just write about the old days (and new ones too).

yes all these are definatly booked, melody in was on in 1997 durban to genoa via seychelles so this time going via west africa. boudicca i waS ON twice before as golden princess on my 2nd cruise anmd a mini cruise on boudicca. radiance of the seas not been on before did vision of the seas in april and was a bit dissapointed but after hearing asbout all the new restaurant am looking forward to it.

dave

Dave, that's great about these three cruises being definitely booked! You are tripling your cruise pleasure. :)

Please do let us know after each cruise how it was.

Donald.

To save you the trouble of searching for it in the Cunard forum, here is the highlight and pinnacle of my sea life:

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. The ship's newspaper had announced that we would meet the Queen Mary in mid-Atlantic at about 10:17 that morning. I was a skeptical 12-year-old and doubted that they could predict the meeting with such precision, but I was out on deck in a cold Atlantic fog at the appointed time. Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones. I was struck to my soul, ecstatically happy, and loved those ships like no object on Earth! The Romance of the Sea! Every cruise since brings me a glorious echo of that early passion. :D

On that crossing, I hung out with a shipboard pal about my own age who was, to put it charitably, a scofflaw and daredevil --- possibly a budding future criminal. He seemed to take a positive delight in breaking rules, whereas I had always been quiet and orderly. He quickly showed me how to sneak from Cabin Class into the rarefied atmosphere of First Class, which I would never have dared to do on my own. I was most impressed by the luxurious lounges, with much of the look of a British stately home. I believe one of them had an enormous portrait of the Queen. My pal pulled stunts like reaching through an open galley window and stealing food. When I expressed my shock, he replied, "Even if we get caught, what are they going to do to us?" We invented a game using the shuffleboard courts: from a running start, we would jump from a certain point and try to land on the highest-numbered square. Playing this game as we approached New York, I came a cropper: the deck was wet, and I was dressed up with slick-soled shoes for the landing. I took a great leap, landed on my heels, skidded, and slammed flat on my back (and head) on the deck! I was stunned, might have lost consciousness for a few seconds. They carried me down to the ship's doctor, who declared that I would be all right, as "the most important part of the brain is in the front." I missed seeing the Statue of Liberty that day, but came away from the Queen Elizabeth with a nice lump as a souvenir. I have always believed that my skull is still slightly out-of-shape in the back from that mighty blow!

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. . . Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones.

I took a great leap, landed on my heels, skidded, and slammed flat on my back (and head) on the deck! I was stunned, might have lost consciousness for a few seconds. They carried me down to the ship's doctor, who declared that I would be all right, as "the most important part of the brain is in the front." I missed seeing the Statue of Liberty that day, but came away from the Queen Elizabeth with a nice lump as a souvenir. I have always believed that my skull is still slightly out-of-shape in the back from that mighty blow!

Wow! What memories and what an unusual souvenir from the QE of a bump on the head. Nice stories, well told.

What is that sea ditty under your signature? Is it rude of me to note that the rhyme is a bit lacking?

Ruby

What is that sea ditty under your signature? Is it rude of me to note that the rhyme is a bit lacking?

Ruby

Ahem, ahem, I am glad to be of service, Madame. That musical quotation is the first line of the first song of the operetta HMS Pinafore, words by W.S. Gilbert, music by Sir Arthur Sullivan, first produced in 1878. The complete lyrics:

We sail the ocean blue, and our saucy ship's a beauty;

We're sober men and true, and attentive to our duty.

When the balls whistle free o'er the bright blue sea,

We stand to our guns all day-ay;

When at anchor we ride on the Portsmouth tide,

We have plenty of time to play!

Continuing the Gilbert & Sullivan theme, my forum name, Ralph Rackstraw, is the young hero of the operetta, a simple seaman ("There's not a smarter topman in the Navy, your honor, though I say it who shouldn't") who dares to fall in love with the captain's daughter.

As a tenor in the German-American Community Choir of Frankfurt, Germany, I rehearsed this operetta in 2007 for several months with my friends. Alas, I had to leave Germany before the gala performance, but I greatly enjoyed learning the music. :D

Edited by RalphRackstraw

As a tenor in the German-American Community Choir of Frankfurt, Germany, I rehearsed this operetta in 2007 for several months with my friends. Alas, I had to leave Germany before the gala performance, but I greatly enjoyed learning the music. :D

Your Pinafore ditty brought up a bouquet of pleasant memories for me from G&S and thanks for that. The last time I thought of G&S was watching Topsy Turvy. I am embarrassed to say that, although I can sing the songs from that wonderful Chinese operatta, I couldn't recall the title of The Mikado until I googled it. Now I am humming the songs during my domestic day. When you typed out the song from Pinafore, I suddenly remembered the rest of it.

Sorry to hear that you were unable to participate in the gala performance in Germany. I'm sure your tenor voice was missed. Which language were y'all using for the performance? The original English, a German version? Do you participate in any singing groups in your current location?

Ruby

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. The ship's newspaper had announced that we would meet the Queen Mary in mid-Atlantic at about 10:17 that morning. I was a skeptical 12-year-old and doubted that they could predict the meeting with such precision, but I was out on deck in a cold Atlantic fog at the appointed time. Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones. I was struck to my soul, ecstatically happy, and loved those ships like no object on Earth! The Romance of the Sea! Every cruise since brings me a glorious echo of that early passion. :D

The weekly sail-by of these two Queens certainly would have been the highlight of each transatlantic crossing, not only for the repeat passengers but certainly for the first-timers. The sight of Queen Mary surging out of the fog would have been memorable. Did anyone in your family take photographs or videos of the event?

Donald.

The weekly sail-by of these two Queens certainly would have been the highlight of each transatlantic crossing, not only for the repeat passengers but certainly for the first-timers. The sight of Queen Mary surging out of the fog would have been memorable. Did anyone in your family take photographs or videos of the event?

Donald.

To the best of my knowledge, I was the only family member on deck. I had no camera, and I was standing alone. The fog was really cold and clinging that day; perhaps other passengers were watching from enclosed areas.

Sorry to hear that you were unable to participate in the gala performance in Germany. I'm sure your tenor voice was missed. Which language were y'all using for the performance? The original English, a German version? Do you participate in any singing groups in your current location?

Ruby, the GACC rehearsed and performed the English version. Currently, I sing only with my church choir.

Living in Switzerland 1959-66 gave me a taste for the expatriate life. I was in Canada 1976-81 (medical school at McGill University, Montréal), and Germany 1987-94, 1997-2002, 2004-07 (civilian psychiatrist for the U.S. Army Medical Department). That's 27 years outside the USA, 30 years inside.

From 1988 to 2007, the GACC was a surrogate family to us, a multi-national circle of friends making beautiful music together. See

http://www.gacc-frankfurt.de/american/index.html . :)

Spotting ships in port is, of course, lots of fun, but seeing them in their element is something special. On one sailing out of New York Harbor we were rapidly overtaken by the mighty United States off the south shore of Long Island. I’ll never forget those towering funnels and the speed of that vessel as she cut her way through the sea. Unfortunately, I had no camera in hand and because these events happen quickly, there was no chance of getting to the cabin and back to catch the moment. But that image is firmly implanted in my cerebral cortex.

Italian Line ships often passed each other in the Atlantic, sometimes at night with funnels aglow, but often, as in the picture I’m including here, during the day. This event took place in August, 1967 while I was on Michelangelo as she passed her twin, Raffaello with signal flags flying for the occasion. It was my understanding that Cunard kept the Queens apart at some minimal distance, but the Italians were more daring as can be seen in this image I digitized from a 35 mm slide. We could just about hug each other while kissing cheeks.

RaffaelloFromMichelangelo.jpg

Well we are battening down the hatches here on Long Island getting ready for the big one. The stores are mobbed with people stocking up on water, canned food and batteries. We’re all feeling just a tad tense right now. So, we may be down for a few days…hopefully not weeks, after Sunday.

It was my understanding that Cunard kept the Queens apart at some minimal distance, but the Italians were more daring as can be seen in this image I digitized from a 35 mm slide. We could just about hug each other while kissing cheeks.

Well we are battening down the hatches here on Long Island getting ready for the big one. The stores are mobbed with people stocking up on water, canned food and batteries. We’re all feeling just a tad tense right now. So, we may be down for a few days…hopefully not weeks, after Sunday.

I'm sure that you are tensely awaiting the outcome of Irene at this time and all best wishes for a safe result from this storm. Having the power stay on would be a plus. However, I must confess that I am back on the concept of digitizing an image from a 35mm slide. The things you do for this thread!

Ruby, the GACC rehearsed and performed the English version. Currently, I sing only with my church choir.

Living in Switzerland 1959-66 gave me a taste for the expatriate life. I was in Canada 1976-81 (medical school at McGill University, Montréal), and Germany 1987-94, 1997-2002, 2004-07 (civilian psychiatrist for the U.S. Army Medical Department). That's 27 years outside the USA, 30 years inside.

From 1988 to 2007, the GACC was a surrogate family to us, a multi-national circle of friends making beautiful music together. :)

Singing in a group is so soul-satisfying. You can feel the power, the quality of a good group and it makes for a happy day. No wonder you continue to enjoy singing in your church choir.

The Turtle Creek Chorale in Dallas is/was nationally famous and the one performance that always brought me to tears was the Chorale singing You Light Up My Life in sign language, no sound. It is my understanding that this performance is not unique to the TCC. Have your groups ever done this song in sign language?

Sharon - I'm edging toward the door. Silver Shadow sails out of Vancouver on this Thursday. When do you leave the computer keyboard behind and set sail? Will your cruise be edit free?

Ruby

The Turtle Creek Chorale in Dallas is/was nationally famous and the one performance that always brought me to tears was the Chorale singing You Light Up My Life in sign language, no sound. It is my understanding that this performance is not unique to the TCC. Have your groups ever done this song in sign language?

Ruby

During my tenure, the GACC performed in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin and Hebrew, but I don't recall any sign-language numbers.

I am tapping another source of ocean-liner memories: yesterday I phoned my Mom in Michigan, who is 89 years young and sharp as a tack, but has never taken to these computing machines. She is charmed by the idea of sharing reminiscences. She will write them up in longhand and send them to me by old-fashioned paper-and-envelope mail, so I can transcribe them for the forum. She will also search her archives for liner memorabilia of interest. I have a scanner and Photoshop Elements. How does one go about putting an image up on the forum?

During my tenure, the GACC performed in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin and Hebrew, but I don't recall any sign-language numbers.

I am tapping another source of ocean-liner memories: yesterday I phoned my Mom in Michigan, who is 89 years young and sharp as a tack, but has never taken to these computing machines. She is charmed by the idea of sharing reminiscences. She will write them up in longhand and send them to me by old-fashioned paper-and-envelope mail, so I can transcribe them for the forum. She will also search her archives for liner memorabilia of interest. I have a scanner and Photoshop Elements. How does one go about putting an image up on the forum?

Conte, what a spectacular picture of Raffaello! I liked the shadows of the lifeboats cast along the side of the hull. Even though Michelangelo was her sister ship, it seemed that you were much higher up ... did you scramble up a mast or funnel to take that video?

Ralph, I am greatly looking forward to reading your mother's reminiscences of transatlantic crossings!

Ruby, the weather forecast for Vancouver this Wednesday is "Mainly Sunny" with a high of 19C (66F) and low of 13C (55F). No doubt you are ready for a respite from your heat wave. :)

Donald.

I have a scanner and Photoshop Elements. How does one go about putting an image up on the forum?

I'm looking forward to hearing your mother's recollections and seeing some of her memorabilia as well. So here is how to post the pictures. First of course you will have to scan them and save them in some folder on your computer. Then you need an account with a photo sharing site. Right now I am using Photobucket.com where you can set up an account without any exchange of funds. The site will instruct you how to set up an album into which you will download your scanned images. Once they are downloaded you can roll your mouse over the picture and you will see a number of codes from which to choose. Click on "Direct Link" and copy the address. Then write what you want to post to the thread as usual. At the point where you want to insert the picture you will type in:

[imag]the address you copied from the album[/img]

and that should bring up the picture. Check in Preview Post to make sure that it looks okay. The directions for posting the pictures are also in the FAQ's for the CruiseCritic web site. Good Luck! Looking forward to the pictures.

Conte, what a spectacular picture of Raffaello! I liked the shadows of the lifeboats cast along the side of the hull. Even though Michelangelo was her sister ship, it seemed that you were much higher up ... did you scramble up a mast or funnel to take that video?

Donald.

I would have loved to have been at the top of her mast, but I think the picture was taken while I was standing on the Belvedere Deck which was above the bridge and just where you see the forward mast.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

Ruby, the weather forecast for Vancouver this Wednesday is "Mainly Sunny" with a high of 19C (66F) and low of 13C (55F). No doubt you are ready for a respite from your heat wave. :)Donald.

I watch the Vancouver weather all day every day and I am ready to embrace your beautiful temps and weather. It is 106*+ today in North Texas. C'mon Wednesday!

I'm looking forward to hearing your mother's recollections and seeing some of her memorabilia as well.

Wow! Conte is up and running after facing down the perils of Hurricane Irene! You have power at home! Cool beans!

Ralph - we will look forward to your mother's snail-mail recollections. Should we take up a collection for a postage stamp? Wa-hahaha!

Ruby

Dear fellow ship-daft persons,

I have started reading this thread from the beginning, time permitting, and have reached page 33. I contend that a measure of silliness is good for people (we call it "regression in the service of the ego" in the headshrinking business), so my admiration for this corps of discussants is only enhanced.

I noted an outpouring of affection for the Earnslaw, a New Zealand lake steamer, around page 14. I would like to recommend to you the lake steamers of Switzerland. In my youth (age 5-12) I was in sight of the graceful side-paddle steamers of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva to anglophones) almost daily, and rode on them many times. The great reciprocating steam engines with their massive pistons were exposed so one could stand at a rail on the lower passenger deck and watch their mesmerizing motion: heaven for a little boy!

Later, in 1983, I toured Switzerland with my wife-to-be. Using the Swiss Pass, which allows unlimited travel on the nation's trains, postal buses, and lake steamers, we travelled the Vierwaldstattersee (Lake Luzern), Lake Thun, and of course Lake Geneva. My idea of a near-perfect summer day would be a leisurely paddle-steamer voyage from Geneva to visit the Castle of Chillon near Montreux, pausing on the return trip for dinner at one of the charming lakeside restaurants on the French (south) shore. Ahhhh! :)

Dear fellow ship-daft persons,

I have started reading this thread from the beginning, time permitting, and have reached page 33. I contend that a measure of silliness is good for people (we call it "regression in the service of the ego" in the headshrinking business), so my admiration for this corps of discussants is only enhanced.

I noted an outpouring of affection for the Earnslaw, a New Zealand lake steamer, around page 14. I would like to recommend to you the lake steamers of Switzerland. In my youth (age 5-12) I was in sight of the graceful side-paddle steamers of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva to anglophones) almost daily, and rode on them many times. The great reciprocating steam engines with their massive pistons were exposed so one could stand at a rail on the lower passenger deck and watch their mesmerizing motion: heaven for a little boy!

Later, in 1983, I toured Switzerland with my wife-to-be. Using the Swiss Pass, which allows unlimited travel on the nation's trains, postal buses, and lake steamers, we travelled the Vierwaldstattersee (Lake Luzern), Lake Thun, and of course Lake Geneva. My idea of a near-perfect summer day would be a leisurely paddle-steamer voyage from Geneva to visit the Castle of Chillon near Montreux, pausing on the return trip for dinner at one of the charming lakeside restaurants on the French (south) shore. Ahhhh! :)

Ralph, I was on one of these paddle steamers during my 1964 European tour with my parents. I had always thought that Vierwaldstattersee was the name of the steamer, but now I find out it is the Swiss name for Lake Luzern? Whenever I see unusual names I always make it a point to memorize it, and "Vierwaldstattersee" has stuck in my mind over the past nearly 5 decades.

Another name that I've locked in my memory since the 1970s is Anaehoomalu on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Donald.