Dental Question???

SEA SOUNDS

Does Carnival have a dentist onboard each ship? Just wondering what you would do if you lost a filling, cracked one or broke a tooth etc. while you were on the ship.

My sister will be traveling with me and she has been having alot of problems with pretty much all of the above. She has been to the dentist everyweek for the past 5 weeks, mostly for replacing lost or old fillings. What would she do if she lost a filling or something on the cruise???

I hope she could get things like this taken care of.

SEA SOUNDS

Does Carnival have a dentist onboard each ship? Just wondering what you would do if you lost a filling, cracked one or broke a tooth etc. while you were on the ship.

My sister will be traveling with me and she has been having alot of problems with pretty much all of the above. She has been to the dentist everyweek for the past 5 weeks, mostly for replacing lost or old fillings. What would she do if she lost a filling or something on the cruise???

SEA SOUNDS

Sounds like she needs a new Dentist on land! As much as I hate the Dentist, I cant imagine going every week for over a month:eek:. On the ship they will probably only give her something for the pain.

SEA SOUNDS

Hello, I was at Target today and picked up some "Temparin" by DenTek. It says it repairs lost fillings and secures loose crowns. My DH just had a root canal and has a "temporary" until after we get back (we sail in 10 days yay!)

their web site is usdentek.com. Hope that helps you and good luck to your sister, I feel her pain, went thru the same thing several years ago, i hate going to the dentist!

My friend had an issue with her teeth on the last cruise - they were able to give an antibiotic to stave off infection, and gave her percoset for the pain. But no - the doc was not a dentist. My guess is that they are trained to deal with teeth issues, though.

Hello, I was at Target today and picked up some "Temparin" by DenTek. It says it repairs lost fillings and secures loose crowns. My DH just had a root canal and has a "temporary" until after we get back (we sail in 10 days yay!)

their web site is usdentek.com. Hope that helps you and good luck to your sister, I feel her pain, went thru the same thing several years ago, i hate going to the dentist!

My friend told me of a box with a small packet inside of it the size of a ketchup packet and a one q-tip swab. This is a one time application only but it will numb the area for up to 10 days. You may want to go to Longs Drugs or your local drug store and ask them.

Fred

Temparin is a filling material to create your own temporary filling out of but it will not do anything for pain. If you have pain oil of clove works best. It is what we use in temporary fillings when we want to avoid the patient having a root canal. It calms the nerve inside down. That is what that classic dentist office smell is.

I have done some searching and the Carnival Doctors are licened by the

American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)

Which does include dental training

Dental Emergencies

from

http://www.acep.org/webportal/PatientsConsumers/HealthSubjectsByTopic/dentalemerg.htm

If course onboard doctors are in communication with land based doctors to help them out

IMHO

In My HAUTY opinion

most major drug store chains carry croen repair kits and things of that nature in addition to topical anesthetic pain relievers. i'd pick some of that stuff up, just to be safe, if i were her.

if you have kids, it's also a good idea to bring the child toothache pain relieving gel. i do, though i haven't yet had to use it, and hope i never do.

I am a dental hygienist. What I would suggest she do is go see her dentist just before departure to see if there are any visible loose fillings or problems that are just beginning. The doc cannot predict if something will come loose after that, but just to be safe this is what I'd do. The temporary filling material that you can buy OTC wouldn't be a bad idea to bring along just in case something does happen, but it's just that....temporary. The only thing I would expect from the physician onboard would be antibiotics and pain medicine if something did happen, and the only reason the antibiotics would be necessary is if she developed an infection which would be unlikely to happen over the course of a cruise from a lost filling or crown. Topical anesthetics do not last long, and they have to be applied often. Just have her go over her concerns with her dentist before she leaves and hopefully she can come up with a plan. Hopefully she doesn't spend her cruise worrying about her teeth!!

On a side note, I saw in one of the above posts about teeth whitening. Just to let you all know, that's done by an UNLICENSED person on board who probably knows VERY little about dentistry. I would avoid this always.... save yourself the money AND risk of gum trauma and buy Crest Whitestrips 2 weeks before you go!!

Sounds like she needs a new Dentist on land! As much as I hate the Dentist, I cant imagine going every week for over a month:eek:. On the ship they will probably only give her something for the pain.

Doesn't "I hate GOING TO the dentist" sound MUCH better...:)

If you have a tooth which is borderline/suspicious - then your dentist can likely give you an Rx for PenVK/Amox/etc as "insurance"!

Tom

Another Hygienist here... another temporary fix to a temporary crown coming off is "paste" (versus gel) toothpaste :) Often a patient who has a bad history of infections will be given a prescription for an antibiotic to take with them to have on hand IF NEEDED if they are travelling out of the US.

On a side note, I saw in one of the above posts about teeth whitening. Just to let you all know, that's done by an UNLICENSED person on board who probably knows VERY little about dentistry. I would avoid this always.... save yourself the money AND risk of gum trauma and buy Crest Whitestrips 2 weeks before you go!!
Amen, sister!! I work for the Minnesota Dental Association and everyone here just shakes their heads when I tell them about the spa personnel doing teeth whitening.

Another Hygienist here... another temporary fix to a temporary crown coming off is "paste" (versus gel) toothpaste :)

That can work in a fix. Also, if it can be found where you are, a denture adhesive such as Fixodent works even better in situations where there is not very much tooth structure left to adhere to.

Tom

Amen, sister!! I work for the Minnesota Dental Association and everyone here just shakes their heads when I tell them about the spa personnel doing teeth whitening.

Caveat Emptor...

You won't get a lot of bang for your buck, perhaps some scorched gingiva and temporarily hypersensitive teeth!

Also - various "detoxifying" treatments offered in the spa fall under the same category. At least those are only harmful to your S&S account! The placebo effect can work wonders! I especially like "thanks to this therapy, you have lost 10 inches!!" - OK, and how many places did they have to measure to total up to 10??? No doubt a rigorously controlled scientific analysis...:rolleyes:

Gotta love it...;)

Tom

Archived