Dress Code - NON formal nights

Sleeepy

Most of the women still dress to impress...Not like you would go to KFC!!!!

CB - I couldn't have said it any better!

:eek: I certainly did not intend to stir any pots. Sheesh! :( I must say, the KFC remark was uncalled for. Thanks, Dr. Evil, for your polite reply. This is not my first post...that's it.

Sleepy - I don't think CB was saying it in a nasty or sarcastic way, I think using KFC as an example is very understandable. I would wear shorts or jeans to KFC, but not to a fancy dinner with my spouse. IMHO

To change the subject (only) slightly....Why do some men wear baseball caps to (the) dining rooms? Is it because they are having a bad hair day or what?

I know a lot of guys who wear baseball caps during the day. One is in construction, and if he doesn't have a hard hat on, he feels naked so he puts on his cap. Another example - I have to have something on my feet at all times, if not shoes, then slippers, but at least socks. (Okay I'm wierd, but I digress)

I think for dinner though it is appropriate to remove the hat. (at least for our table, I don't worry about what is happening at others) Oh, and my DW also insists that I have a napkin on my lap during dinner as well. :D

Dr. Evil, thanks. We'll be sure to leave the babies at home, along with my tube top, daisy duke shorts, husband's white tank t-shirt and speedo. ;)

Well - unfortunately you WILL see men in Speedos (just not in the dining room.):eek:

I apologize to those men who look good in Speedos in advance. Where are you hiding on the cruise though?

Although shorts are "not allowed" in the dining room at dinnertime (it's not suggested, it's an outright prohibition in the Compasses), you will likely see them anyway. Some people will have a cow, most will not care. I doubt that anybody will confront your DH, though. Jeans are not, not, NOT prohibited, although as you've already seen, they do create a furor on CC. Not on any RCI ship I've been on, though.

Skorts are fine in the dining room - as the name implies, they're a hybrid, and besides, the maitre d' won't notice the shorts part until you're already past him:rolleyes: . I personally don't care for them, but as a walking Glamour Don't, I'm not one to cast stones on other peoples' fashion choices!

Are skorts OK on casual night in the dining room? You know...the short skirts that have hidden shorts underneath? With decent sandals, not flipflops. And I am asking this seriously.

Skorts are fine, but keep in mind that the dining rooms tend to be on the cool to cold side, so you might be more comfortable in something that covers more. All my outfits have jackets since I tend to be cool and would rather take off a jacket than freeze.

The new procedure for Royal Caribbean is to have the Head Waiter grab you and throw you overboard if you're not dressed appropriately.

This occurs when you walk into the dining room.

THIS is why there have been people come up 'missing' it seems.

No baseball caps, no shorts, no 'urban wear'. It's not just a good idea, it's the law now.

oh, no cell phones either.

Just so you'll know.

Are skorts OK on casual night in the dining room? You know...the short skirts that have hidden shorts underneath? With decent sandals, not flipflops. And I am asking this seriously.

I'm not sure that I would wear a skort but I have definitely worn capris.

Although shorts are "not allowed" in the dining room at dinnertime (it's not suggested, it's an outright prohibition in the Compasses), you will likely see them anyway. Some people will have a cow, most will not care. I doubt that anybody will confront your DH, though. Jeans are not, not, NOT prohibited, although as you've already seen, they do create a furor on CC. Not on any RCI ship I've been on, though.

Skorts are fine in the dining room - as the name implies, they're a hybrid, and besides, the maitre d' won't notice the shorts part until you're already past him:rolleyes: . I personally don't care for them, but as a walking Glamour Don't, I'm not one to cast stones on other peoples' fashion choices!

are you serious that some people on RCI ships wear shorts to the dining room?

MACOP said no, it is only on Carnival and NCL.:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Bill

I think this really depends. There are some very dressy polyester/cotton or silk skorts which are complete skirts front and back, but have hidden shorts underneath. No one but yourself would know they actually are skorts so I think they would be fine. The ones that are khaki, linen or denim type that actually show they are obviously shorts in the back, I would not wear.

My conclusion is...my skorts are OK. They just look like a short skirt. You absolutely do not see the shorts underneath and they are not sloppy looking. But I may take the advice given about the dining room being a bit chilly and cover up a bit more.

for the laugh I got out of KFC! Nope, that's Carnival or NCL.

Actually this cruise is a question mark, I can ask Diego for us. When we did TA on Constellation from London to Paris to Cork & Belfast Ireland & then were axed from Iceland due to a hurricane, so we got Vigo Spain that shuts down at 1Pm for fiesta & we had docked at noon.

Then we cruised Jewel Scandinavia/Baltic still classified as European, they have 3 formal nights on 12+ nights, then 5 semi formal nights & 5 casual night. Semi formal was for men, trousers with sportscoat or suit coat with no tie, ladies wore slacks, skirts with glitter tops, or dresses.

So we may have this same dress code, tho RCI web site shows 2 formal nights & 11 casual. Caribbean maybe......

Based on our 6 cruises, shorts are not allowed in the dining room at night on RCI, Carnival or NCL.

On our last cruise which was in Dec 2006 a young lady in her 20's came to dinner in short shorts. I was very surprised it was aloud, but it didn't ruin my dinner. This was on the Navigator. The year before, again on the Navigator, one of our table mates wore short. They were the dress type. He really looked very nice . He also wore a nice shirt and sweater with them. Again it didn't ruin my dinner.

Judi :)

Based on our 6 cruises, shorts are not allowed in the dining room at night on RCI, Carnival or NCL.

On our over 20 cruises on RCI I agree with you that shorts are not allowed in the dining room and it states that in the daily Cruise Compass. However, that doesn't mean that shorts are not worn in the dining room. I've seen shorts in the dining room, at dinner, in the Caribbean, the Baltic and the Med. RCI's bark is worse than their bite.

Archived