Tipping for drinks - Conflicting opinions here

Cwolf

I am trying to understand fully the tipping policy as to who is included in the tipping pool ($10/day/pp) and who is not. I was wondering particularly about those serving alcoholic drinks. I've read here that the price of the drink includes a 15% tip that is automatically added and you can just tip extra for service above and beyond. I decided to call NCL and find out for sure. The first time, the agent told me that those serving drinks were included in the tipping pool and if you want to tip for extra service, it is up to you. She seemed to think it was a blanket tipping policy, everyone is included in the pool, and you tip more for service above and beyond.

I called again and asked the same question to someone else at NCL. She told me the same thing again and then I asked her to specifically look up the policy. She took the time and did and read it to me straight off her site. She then apoligized and said she was wrong. She said that they were not included and it is recommended for passengers to tip drink servers an extra 15% for a tip. This contradicts what I have read here numerous times that the 15% is automatically added. Concierge services were another one she said should be tipped extra which I assumed anyway.

According to NCL, the 15% is not added to drinks. Anyone care to comment on this apparent discrepancy with whats been written here? Thanks

If you're on an NCL ship, all bar bills have a 15% gratuity automatically added. If you're on an NCLA ship (Pride ships in Hawaii), then the gratuity line on the bar bills will be left blank, to be filled in by the passenger.

On NCL (not NCLA) a automatic tip of 15% is added to all spa and bar tabs. This 15% is put into a tipping pool and is divided among the servers. If you tip extra in cash it goes directly to the person you are giving it to.:)

Butlers, Concierge, and kids crew staff are not included in the $10 per day per person tips.

If you're on an NCL ship, all bar bills have a 15% gratuity automatically added. If you're on an NCLA ship (Pride ships in Hawaii), then the gratuity line on the bar bills will be left blank, to be filled in by the passenger.

That's my understanding too.

My sister and bil were on Sun in Alaska in 2005. They didn't think that the $10 per day was sufficient for the service they received and knew that they would never catch up with all the servers who they thought did a great job, so they brought cash with them to all dining venues and left tips like they would at a land-based restaurant. They didn't find it inconvenient at all; my sister said it was a very small price to pay for the enjoyment of Freestyle and it made them feel good to reward for the service they were actually given.

My dd tipped the bar personnel in cash on Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii.

Jana

I was told by my server at the swimming pool that the server and bartender split the 15% that is automatically charged. He said the more drink orders he took the more he would make (he did not split with other servers or bartenders). He said if you place an order at the bar, the bartender would receive the entire 15%. If that is the way it works, I think it is great. It is always best to give incentives for them to work harder and provide better service.

He also said that bartenders and servers outside of the dining rooms do not participate in the $10 per day.

Last week while in the Majesty, I asked one of the bar servers directly. He stated that the 15% autogratuity added to drinks is split up- 10% goes to the person "selling" the drink and the other 5% is split between the bar tenders and managers. He stated that this is the majority of his income, although they do get paid extra when they serve at private functions. We were given a private cocktail party by the ship, and we requested that he be one of the servers. We did this so that he could get some bonus pay.

Archived