Questions regarding flights to Auckland

Psoque

Maybe this should be posted on a different board, but I thought I might have a better luck posting it here.

We are planning to take the Celebrity Mercury cruise on Jan. 6, 2008, which departs from Auckland. The destination of the cruise is Sydney.

We live in Buffalo, and Celebrity does not have any packaged airfare from Buffalo. I guess if we pay Celebrity some $$$, they will most likely put something together, but we are more inclined to make our own air arrangements.

I see that Air New Zealand has some internet promotions, all departing from LAX or SFO. I called them and their quotes for flights from Buffalo are quite expensive.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how we might find a reasonable airfare for BUF-AKL and SYD-BUF? The best price I can (for December 2007, since fares for late Jan 2008 are still not available) for this on various web sites range between $1600 and $1800.

We also thought about flying out of Toronto. This has one advantage of just one stop, instead of two or more from Buffalo. However flights out of Toronto are more expensive (we found it to be about $2100 or more).

Also, do any of you have any idea how much the various cruise lines charge for airport to port transfers in AKL and SYD? Calling Celebrity did not help, I guess, because they are still working out the details for this brand new itinerary.

Thanks.

I see that Air New Zealand has some internet promotions, all departing from LAX or SFO. I called them and their quotes for flights from Buffalo are quite expensive.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how we might find a reasonable airfare for BUF-AKL and SYD-BUF? The best price I can (for December 2007, since fares for late Jan 2008 are still not available) for this on various web sites range between $1600 and $1800.

Buy the promo tickets from LAX, and buy a separate ticket from BUF to LAX.

Alternatively, would you be prepared to drive to NY? QF may have specials on their own services from JFK via LAX to AKL and SYD.

Thanks for the suggestion. We looked into flying out of other airports, including one of three in NYC. However, as you know, Buffalo is not that close to NYC. Actually, Toronto and Cleveland a much closer to us than NYC.

And yes, we are seriously thinking about either getting a separate open jaw ticket (LAX or SFO to AKL, SYD to LAX or SFO) and also get round trip or open jaw back from BUF to LAX or SFO. It might work, but if something goes wrong with our luggage, we are in deep trouble.

Anyways...we are still looking. Maybe we can find a great deal from Toronto or Buffalo.

However, as you know, Buffalo is not that close to NYC. Actually, Toronto and Cleveland a much closer to us than NYC.
Yes, but the point is that Qantas actually operates from New York. If it's open to you to fly Qantas for the trans-continental sector, you'd be mad to opt for a second-rate airline. From anywhere else, you will definitely have an interline connection.
And yes, we are seriously thinking about either getting a separate open jaw ticket (LAX or SFO to AKL, SYD to LAX or SFO) and also get round trip or open jaw back from BUF to LAX or SFO. It might work, but if something goes wrong with our luggage, we are in deep trouble.
The risk of this depends partly on whether you can get your baggage automatically transferred on the outbound journey. (It can't be done on the return journey because of the American rules that require baggage to be claimed and customs to be cleared at your first US port.)

There are some airlines that won't transfer baggage across a "connection" involving two tickets, but many will still do it.

If you find an airline that will do a baggage transfer across two tickets, then you are at the same risk as if you'd bought a single ticket from Air New Zealand from Buffalo to Auckland. The Buffalo-LAX sector will not be operated by Air New Zealand, so there will be an interline baggage transfer whichever ticketing arrangement you have. And therefore you will have the same misconnection risk.

Psoque:

We are doing the same itinerary as you, departing NZ 12/09/07.

Just today we were able to book LAX/Auckland, via Tahiti, on Air Tahiti NUI. We did this through AA and were able to use ff miles (return is still pending due to a later opening date). However, the AirTahitiNUI website is showing some great deals from NY/Auckland/Sydney. I'm sure your dates haven't opened up as yet but check out their website.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will help, but United and Air New Zealand are Star Alliance partners, so they should be able to help you with transferring your bags if you book your domestic travel on UA and the international on ANZ. I live on the west coast and have flown Air New Zealand to and from Auckland, Sydney and Papeete several times. They are an excellent airline with good service and comfortable seating.

Archived