Maasdam Canadian/New England Cruise

marycarhoman

We just booked for May 19 - May 26th. I am wondering how cool the weather might be. Has anyone taken this trip in May? It goes to Quebec Halifax Prince Edwards Island and Maine. I am thinking it might be quite cool. Also does anyone have some recommendations for excursions?

Thanks

Mary

We are from Boston and have done that cruise 4 or 5 times or maybe more. We're booked to do it again this summer and I highly recommend you plan to dress in layers.

It is likely you will need a sweatshirt weight top and light weight jacket.

That time of year is very unpredictable in New England. It can be warm enough for shorts or cool enough to need both a long sleeve jersey and jacket. Think of dressing in layers. If it is cool in the morning, you can take off a layer when it warms during the day.

We very much enjoyed Arcadia National Park and Lobster Bake tour. We were very lucky it was a bright blue sky, clear as a bell day when we did it. The views at the mountain heights were fabulous. It is luck of the draw though as sometimes it's foggy.

The duck tour amphibious vehicle in Halifax is fun. A short tour but nice.

This is a fabulous cruise and I hope you enjoy it and the beautiful Maasdam as much as we do. This is one of our favorite itineraries and we've lived here all our lives!!!

We are from Boston and have done that cruise 4 or 5 times or maybe more. We're booked to do it again this summer and I highly recommend you plan to dress in layers.

That time of year is very unpredictable in New England. It can be warm enough for shorts or cool enough to need both a long sleeve jersey and jacket. Think of dressing in layers. If it is cool in the morning, you can take off a layer when it warms during the day.

We very much enjoyed Arcadia National Park and Lobster Bake tour. We were very lucky it was a bright blue sky, clear as a bell day when we did it. The views at the mountain heights were fabulous. It is luck of the draw though as sometimes it's foggy.

This is a fabulous cruise and I hope you enjoy it and the beautiful Maasdam as much as we do. This is one of our favorite itineraries and we've lived here all our lives!!!

Thank you so much for answering! :) I am taking my son for a graduation present. Thanks also for the tips. I love lobster. I kind of thought it might be cool. I can't wait. Any advice on a hotel in Montreal? Our cruise starts there and ends in Boston. I am thinking we will get there the day before we leave.

Mary

We always do the roundtrip, back-to-back, Boston to Montreal back to Boston so haven't stayed over in Montreal for a long time. I'm sure there will be others who can recommend where to stay. Also, there is a hotel section to CruiseCritic. Maybe they have some suggestions.

Congratulations for your son.....I hope you have as wonderful time on that cruise as we always do.

Be sure to bring a few short sleeve, light weight tops, just in case. It is possible you could have some warmer than expected days. A few short sleeve jerseys in your suitcase won't take up much room but could be welcome.

We went last May and had a great time. I took the air and hotel through HAL as it was cheaper with them instead if getting our own. We stayed at OH MY GOD it just left my mind. I am so sorry. It was a nice hotel and in the lobby we did our check in for the ship and the next morning a bus came and took us for a tour of Montreal. It was great! We took the bus tour of Arcadia National Park. While in Halifx we walked to the Citadel and got there just in time for the changing of the guard. Geez I am really drawing a blank. I just retired in December and my mind thinks it did too. I will go check and tell you the rest, sorry:o

Kathy

the month of May can be "tricky" along the New England coast, temperature wise

the temps in Boston should be in the 60's to low-mid 70's as you approach Memorial Day

as for heading North, my recommendation: dress like you would for very early fall .. the temps in Maine, Halifax and the rest of the cruise up to Quebec should be in the high 50's to low-mid 60's ..

I doubt it will be "pool swimming" weather but it should at least be "pool sitting weather"

enjoy:)

Archived