Dream Review - 1/20/07-1/27/07

heelfan94

Thanks for the great job.

Very helpful and informational.

Did you by chance find the crew bar?

Now thats where you can have some fun...lol

Great job. Thanks again

Harp:)

I always seem to fit in better with the crew than my fellow passengers. I'd love to get a tour of crew quarters but can't seem to get an invitation. I'm sure we're not wanted down there. :)

Excellent review! We cruised New Year's Eve in 2005 and found our Dream experience pretty much like yours. I was surprised to hear so much complaining during our cruise about missing one port (due to previous hurricane damage). Progreso has been added since our cruise as a substitute, so I guess most people won't complain now.

We enjoyed our first Dream cruise so much that we decided to take the Baltic Cruise this coming May and are truly looking forward to that one. Where else can a couple pay $350 a day for a floating hotel, get all your meals for free, and visit St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallinin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Berlin, all in one 12-day period???

What a country!

I was surprised to hear there was at line at 5:30. My husband and I like to eat early and have never encountered a line. Then I read that this happened on specific ships.

Must be an influx of 'traditional' diners. Someone forgot to tell them it was freestyle and just because the Freestyle daily said the dining room opened at 5:30, that didn't mean their dining time was 5:30! LOL

Must be an influx of 'traditional' diners. Someone forgot to tell them it was freestyle and just because the Freestyle daily said the dining room opened at 5:30, that didn't mean their dining time was 5:30! LOL

Ha ha ha! I just dine early because we're used to that. We usually head to the dining room between 5:30 and 6:00. Never have seen a line. We have walked by the DR at 7 p.m. and the line extended up the steps. We've also been in line on the steps when dining with another couple, but the line moves swiftly.

While I like window seats, I wouldn't particularly line up just to get one. We get windows often enough. Usually, we want a particular waiter and ask for his or her section.

Just put me on a ship and I'm happy! ;)

We just returned from the same cruise and I wanted to post a slightly different point of view. The review was very thorough but we had a little different point of view on some things. We were a group of 25 people. We had 4 large families traveling together with children from 9 on up.

We felt that the service on the Dream was not as great as mentioned above. I think that is because of the freestlye cruising. Although with us having children, freestyle worked well. We did experience the "line-up" for dinner. But found it could easily be remedied by showing up after 5:45. We dined at all times and were usually seated quickly. We only had reservations 2 nights. One night for our whole group (25) and another night for 13 people. We found we were just fine without a reservation. If you are not attending the entertainment or plan on seeing the late show, 7:00 was a great time to eat in the dining rooms.

The main area of disagreement was the entertainment. I'm not sure if our ages made the difference, but we thought the entertainment was generally poor. We enjoyed the comedian and the magaician but the singing-dancing nights were lousy. We left part way through one and chose not to go the rest of them. The older crowd seemed to enjoy it more.

Our group enjoyed the Kareoke nights. Although we were disappointed when time was running out and we were told not to submit any more names, but they allowed several crew members to participate.

A couple of hints:

1-If renting a car; Enterprise will allow you to return your car at the port if you make arrangements before hand. They also rent a small amount of cars that can be returned to the airport. The cruise line had a port-airport shuttle for $30.00 a person. Shuttles could be arranged for $20.00 a person at the port, we rented a 5 passenger car for $45.99 plus gas (our gas was $13.00, we spent several hours driving around to see a few sights). It worked really well.

2. Our kids loved the room service pizza. They thought it was the best on board. The adults agreed.

3. We stayed at the comfort suites in La Porte. Great hotel for an inexpensive overnight stay. It is about 5 minutes from the port. They also had a great breakfast served in the morning.

mjnappy, thanks for the additional information. I was hoping more people from our cruise would chime in. Entertainment, like food, is subjective. I'm 36 and my husband is 42. We really enjoyed the Jean Ann Ryan Company. Not everyone will, though. Just like some of my favorite restaurant dishes won't please everyone. I think our vantage point as a couple cruising without our kids is different from yours as part of a large group traveling together. It's good to get all opinions. :)

My lovely wife and I were on this cruise also. I agree with the review and would also agree that the person makes the cruise comment as well. even though it rained we had the time of our life. We cruised on the NCL Star in 2005 and each ship has their own "flavor". Just remember you could be at home in 30 degree weather or even worse at work:mad: in 30 degree weather

Littlerick

NCL Star 4/14/05, NCL Dream 1/20/07

My lovely wife and I were on this cruise also. I agree with the review and would also agree that the person makes the cruise comment as well. even though it rained we had the time of our life. We cruised on the NCL Star in 2005 and each ship has their own "flavor". Just remember you could be at home in 30 degree weather or even worse at work:mad: in 30 degree weather

Littlerick

NCL Star 4/14/05, NCL Dream 1/20/07

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! I keep hoping more people will add to the thread from our cruise.

We came home to ZERO degrees. What a swing. 93 to zero. Not fair, just not fair. I think I need a cruise! :cool:

I cruised on the Dream during Spring Break last year with the DH and DS (11 yrs. old). We really enjoyed the Dream. Good service, good food and just a lot of fun all around. We missed the Cancun port also but we knew that was probably going to happen before we left. However, we had a great time on the ship. Our son had made friends so he was in the pool, playing card games or ping pong. The DH and I went to a wine tasting (lots of fun), went to art auctions (just for the fun of it), played a few lot machines (I won $20 and thought I was rich :D ). I agree that the dance company wasn't that great, but that is just a personal opinion. My DH is 55, I'm 60 and the DS is 11. We don't eat dinner early so when we dined usually around 7:30 or as late as 8:30, we rarely encountered any lines. The outdoor buffet they have on the pool deck is really nice, especially the day that they have Paella! Big, hugh shrimp in it! Loved it! Son loved the pizza and ice cream bar by the pool.

We thought the Dream was charming and would sail her again if she ever changed her ports of call as we don't usually repeat ports of call.

Loved the Dream:D

The problem with the same ports is Houston's problem. It takes 2 nights and 1 sea day to get to Cozumel, and the same to return 2 nights and 1 sea day. At best only 4 ports of call, that is Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Cancun or Playa del Carmen or Costa Maya. None of these last three ports have sufficient piers or tenders for lots of ships like Cozumel.

Therefore its become a three port cruise, Progresso, Cozumel, and Belize, with two sea days returning to Houston. If a ship does Progresso, it can't reach Roatan and get back to Houston in time. The other cruise line in Galveston does three ports too, Montego Bay, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel in a week. During the winter months Grand Caymen is as hit and miss as Cancun used to be, leaving their ports half the time as two ports.

I wish Progresso had more resorts like Cancun, and Cancun had a pier like Progresso, and Grand Caymen had lots of piers like Cozumel. Unfortuantely they don't. There are so many ships doing Western Carobbean cruises the cruise lines have to go to unfavorable ports of calls because there isn't enough room at the favorable ports. Costa Maya and Calica piers dpn't have enough piers either for the large number of cruise ships calling.

It appears Houston has wasted $81 million building a new cruise terminal. Soon to open, but with no cruise ships calling.

Hey, I was on the same cruise 1-20-07 withthe Dream. You were so thorough, I can only think of a few other things to add. I have allergies to Fruit, Nuts & Garlic, so eating in the restaurants was a chore for me. Went the first time to the Terraces & Dennis offered to get me chicken breast, steamed veggies, & a baked potato. Or I could choose a steak-same trimmings. My girlfriend had the Lobster. I chose the chicken each time we went into the restaurants, otherwise I had a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches in my room. Being allergic to garlic is the worst. In the sports bar I had salads-no dressing, & alot of dessert-which I love. One time in the buffet-they served Pasta- I wanted some, the head of the dept. went downstairs to the Trattoria & had them fix me a plate without Garlic. I loved that.

The cruise was a great smooth ride, except for thursday. A lady was thowing up in the bathroom by the Stardust lounge. I never get seasick.

I too was on the Dream last week. That was my 34th cruise overall, and the #10 on NCL. (finally made gold status!)

Anyway, it was a cruise of 'firsts' for me! This was the first time that I've ever had to wait for dinner. I showed up at 715, and was told there was a 30-minute wait in Terraces and the Four Seasons. As was mentioned previously, yes; there was a line around 5-530pm when the dining rooms opened. That line slowly went down during the week, or at least it seemed it did.

This was also the first cruise that I ever walked out after looking over the menu. We sat down, read the menu; and realized that nothing seemed appealizing. My travel buddy said, "let's go back to the Italian place!" and away we went. Yes, there is enough of a variety in La Trattoria to eat twice, or maybe 3 times. Once again, food is a very subjective topic, so you may have liked the menu that night!

This was the first time that I've seen the cruise staff not give away prizes at games or trivia, simply because they're running low of supplies. I did speak with the cruise director Bret about this, and he said they're supposed to get a shipment in soon. I simply pointed out that you could pick up some cheap trinkets in the gift shop... which would be better than nothing! He agreed sheepishly.

I did see what was mentioned earlier at karaoke, with the cruise staff taking up alot of time that the guests wanted to use to sing. That wasn't too well received.

For the good part of the Dream, I will have to say it's nice to cruise on a ship that was built with the 'outside' in mind! Not many ships these days have outside stairs from the promenade all the way to the top! I despise having to go back inside, if you're outside on a deck just to go someplace else OUTSIDE! The Dream has plenty of outdoor decks, and the forward facing wraparounds are still awesome!

The cabins are laid-out very nicely. Like has been mentioned before, having that curtain down the middle of the room really seems to make a visual and mental difference! I know the cabins aren't that big, but it SEEMED to be larger than it was!

The entertainment was good, usually you could find someone/something to hold your attention for an hour or so at night! One complaint was the smoke... I really seemed to notice it more on this ship! Especially aft on decks 9/10, the air conditioning seemed to blow it back to the rear stairs.

Again, as was mentioned before; we too dropped off the Enterprise rental car around 130pm, paid the $3.00 parking fee, walked inside, headed for the Latitudes line in front of about 150 passengers in the normal line, got the normal paperwork done, and we were actually on board well before 2pm. That was great!

The bottom line for me was that yes, I'd still cruise on NCL, but not back on the Dream. She's just not laid out that well for the passenger load, with only 3.5 normal, free restaurants. This was the 4th cruise for me out of Houston, 2 times on the Sea, and once on the Sun. They just handled the crowds better. If you're flexible though, or don't mind eating after 8pm or so, you'll have no problems.

I believe crowding in the public spaces is a problem with all ships that have been stretched. Other cruise lines have also stretched cruise ships, not just NCL. The three NCL has stretched are the Majesty, Dream and Wind. By 2010, all three will have left NCL's fleet.

Check the deck plans of the Dreamward posted lately in this forum with deck plans for the Dream. They added cabins on Decks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and owners suites along the sides of 11, and public spaces on Decks 9, 10, and an extra swimming pool on 11. Therefore extra cabins were added on 6 decks, and more public space added to just 3 decks. Existing facilities forward and aft of the new area added during the stretch remained the same size. So these facilities are now way too small, and therefore over crowded.

Never-the-less, over crowding can be fun if you go expecting it.

I cannot thank you enough for this review! I will be going on a cruise for the first time on Feb. 10th and your review answered all my questions...and fears! What was even nicer about your review is it is current! THANK YOU!!!!

Several of us have recently been on the Dream and would be happy to answer any questions you still have. I really think you'll love the ship. :)

Thanks for all the great information. March will be our first time on the Dream.

I do have a question -- What were the railings like around the jogging track and on the upper "open" decks? On the Sea both our young children could easily fit their heads through the vertical railings.

Thanks! I can't wait for those 80's and 90's! Beats 27 any day!

Thanks for all the great information. March will be our first time on the Dream.

I do have a question -- What were the railings like around the jogging track and on the upper "open" decks? On the Sea both our young children could easily fit their heads through the vertical railings.

Thanks! I can't wait for those 80's and 90's! Beats 27 any day!

I'm sorry but I don't remember. I do have an excuse, though. My kids were home with Grandma during this cruise. :o

I cannot thank you enough for this review! I will be going on a cruise for the first time on Feb. 10th and your review answered all my questions...and fears! What was even nicer about your review is it is current! THANK YOU!!!!

You should wander over to the rollcall section and say hi magrismer :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=388637

Magrismer,

Are you on the Dream on the 10th? You should come join our roll call discussion if you are!

Archived