First Class Upgrade

bencruzN

Can you upgrade once you get to the airport? Do they sometimes give you a better rate than if you were to do it over the internet or phone? I would like to travel 1st class since we are going so far, and I have never been 1st class before.

You did not state what airline you were using or when your trip was scheduled (has a lot to do with first class availability). AFAIK, America West, Alaska Airlines, and US Air are the only airlines which allow you to upgrade to first class for cash at checkin. America West and Alaska both have a mileage based system-something like $50 per 500 miles, space available. The information is available on their websites.

However, both airlines have a lot of elite level FF, who are eligible for free upgrades. I have only been on one Alaska flight (out of 14) where there was more than one first class seat available on check in. And I am running about 50% paid upgrade on America West, which I fly frequently.

Do you have enough miles to upgrade to first class? If you are not an elite level FF, you will not be able to upgrade the least expensive tickets on most airlines, but miles are another avenue to first class.

It also depends upon the class of service that the cruise line booked with the airline. Sometimes, they book a deeply discounted bulk class of service that is not upgradeable with FF miles or $$$. You need to call the airline to find out.

Joe Canino CTC, MCC
Hebron (CT) Travel

Archived