First Class Upgrade

bencruzN

I posted this on the another forum, thought I would get a quicker response if post here also:

Can you upgrade once you get to the airport? Do they sometimes give you a better rate than if you were to do it over the internet or phone? I would like to travel 1st class since we are going so far, and I have never been 1st class before.

I did it once on American to Puerto Plata. It was $125.00 each. Much cheaper than buying a first class ticket outright. This was about 4 years ago so prices might have changed. Why not call the airline and ask.

ben - I upgraded on our return flight in Jan from FLL to Detroit for $75 pp at the terminal when checking in. It was more than worth it as we ended up sitting on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting out a thunderstorm (the free wine and booze made the wait more manageable)

I know L class tickets (the cheap ones) are not upgradable.

Different airlines have different sets of rules. On some, you can upgrade (on a space-available basis when you "check in") from the "cheap seats". Best thing to do is check out the airline's website/ask when you "check in".

The policy definitely varies by airline, but one thing is certain, waiting till the last minute (i.e. at time of boarding) lessens your chance of getting an upgrade. All airlines that have multiple classes of service upgrade any of their "elite" frequent fliers first. Depending on the airline, this may be totally free or it may cost upgrade coupons or miles.

I just got off the phone with a USAir representative trying to upgrade flights to San Juan. She told me ,obviously, the sooner you upgrade (not waiting until the day of departure) the better off you are in being assured a seat. The best way of doing this is to use your air miles which you can use 11 months in advance (at least on US Air), however, a round trip or oneway upgrade within the continental US is 20,000 miles and to the Caribbean is 30,000 off peak times(add 5,000 miles for each for peak times). If you have the airline credit card they will allow you to purchase upgrades for $50 per 500 miles being flown. I have also seen some upgrade coupons being sold on Ebay however, they are only usable 24 hours before departure. Your best bet is to call the airline and find out their policies for upgrades.

Archived