Fishing advise in Alaska 05-12, 7 day seattle

lucchese1

We have a group of 50 1st timers on the O out of seattle in may to Alaska. About 10-12 of the gents would love a 4 hour fishing trip in one of the ports. I am worried about time in port. Sitka 8am to 5pm, Ketchikan 9am to 1pm & Juneau 11am till 930pm. We are all open to suggestions on stream, fly & deep open water fishing. I know most of the ocean charters are for only 4p at a time so we would need 3 boats. Any suggestions from any one that has done something similar would be great. I have searched a lot on the web and there is enough info to make in confusing:o :o !

Thanks

Ben!

We have a group of 50 1st timers on the O out of seattle in may to Alaska. About 10-12 of the gents would love a 4 hour fishing trip in one of the ports. I am worried about time in port. Sitka 8am to 5pm, Ketchikan 9am to 1pm & Juneau 11am till 930pm. We are all open to suggestions on stream, fly & deep open water fishing. I know most of the ocean charters are for only 4p at a time so we would need 3 boats. Any suggestions from any one that has done something similar would be great. I have searched a lot on the web and there is enough info to make in confusing:o :o !

Thanks

Ben!

Check the HAL website excursion list for your cruise. I'm sure that would be a popular excursion and would be surprised if one wasn't available.

We were up to Alaska last September from NZ, my husband chose to go fly fishing in Ketchikan. He is by birth a Londoner and had never done any fly fishing. He ended up with a group of four, all ex Londoners that had never fly fished before, HE ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF HIS FOUR HOURS TRYING TO HOOK A SALMON. Four months on and he is STILL TALKING ABOUT IT! In fact only yesterday he said to me that the water was very cold but he never actually noticed that until he had to get out. lol

Hope this helps and you get in some good fishing.

Val

I've fished in Alaska on two trips, but neither were in SouthEast Alaska -- both were in NW Alaska.

Mid-May sounds early for catching salmon running up into rivers (for most of the state.) If I were you, I'd first take a look at the HAL website, and see what will be offered, for shore excursions.

I hope that you catch something, and have a great time!!

• 2 months later...

Dog sleds and salmon fishing..you guys are everywhere! I am so excited about this trip too ...I can not wait! I completely agree with you about the times in port..Juneau is not bad but the others seem a little quick. Like yours, my family likes to get out and about.

Have a terrific time fishing!

I hope you read the post about the meet and greet I had scheduled..and let the rest of your group know as well. It's posted on the Roll call board!

See you in 30 days!

yippppeeeeeeeee!

~Julie

Too bad you don't have more time in Ketchican which is one of the best salmon fishing ports in Alaska. Northern Lights Charters has a great reputation with cruisers for fishing charters, but your four hour stop really seems to rule out Ketchican.

It seems like you should be able to work out something in Juneau. We went fishing in Icy Strait Point, which is close to Juneau, a couple of years ago in June and caught some salmon and halibut.

I notice that Captain Larry....who does all the whale watching tours in Juneau.....also offers charter boat fishing on his website. It sounds like he books charters for the local captains. It might be worth a call or an email to find out whether he could set up something for you. His website is: http://www.orcaenterprises.com

We've gone fishing on our own and through the cruiselines in the past, and we've found that we do much better on our own. The people who set up excursions for the cruiselines apparently don't know much about fishing, and you usually pay more and get less, so keep on looking around on your own.

If you haven't already done so, you might post this question on the Alaska board and get some input from some of the locals.

Archived