AK and Seasickness

lucia1024

Has anyone heard of "latitude illness"?

Last year we heard a lady saying she was ill with it for 4 days and didn't start feeling better until the ship got back south to Ketchikan.

We had rough wters the first day out of Seattle, but that was it. Mostly we had headaches, not stomach upset. But we stayed low in the ship and layed games and wore our sea bands until it ws smoother. The Captain warned people to wear flat shoes and stay off the decks.

It did NOT spoil our trip!!!!!!!!

You can also buy meclazine over the counter from the pharmacist - it is generic and less expensive than the Bonine. My daughter used to get motion sickness driving around househunting-I had to give her Dramamine everytime we moved. She went on a 3 week sailing trip when she was in high school, living on a 19 foot boat, and took the meclazine and only got a little queasy during a storm one night--it was a miracle drug for her!!

Does anyone recommend the scopalomine patch over meclizine or vice versa?

You need to get this information from your health care professional. There are potential side effects of both that could be unique to your health status.

You need to get this information from your health care professional. There are potential side effects of both that could be unique to your health status.

I did...they said 'whatever works best for you'..:) .well, how do i know what works best for me if i've never taken meclizine before? i used the patch 20 years ago, driving down the west coast and it seemed to work...so i have both, and will try the patch first i think , and if it doesn't work i know the 1/2 life of both so know when i can stop and take the other....just wondered if anyone had better help w/ one or the other.....we leave in 9days, and it's the one thing i'm most worried about(getting seasick)...i get motion sick on everything,busses,cars,ferries,don't do roller coasters etc although on our honeymoon my husband got me on one at busch gardens and well.....never ever again.....i found i actually didn't get sick on the train( i travelled canada/us on it for a month straight)....so, i'll wear the patch,sea bands,bring ginger, and if all else fails, at least i'll lose weight and not gain any !:D

Where do you buy seabands or ginger snaps (are those cookies?)? Need it for an already somewhat nauseous pregnant woman so no meds. Need it to be all natural.

You can purchase the sea bands at any drug store, or walmart type stores. The ginger snaps are cookies.

Another place to find the seabands is in the fishing section of a sporting goods store. Ginger capsules may be purchased in many health food stores (less calories than ginger snaps :) ).

Also, when we cruised Carnival, the infirmary had meclizine tablets or you could ask your steward to get some for you. When we were in port and the infirmary was closed, they had one of those closet shoe organizers hanging outside of the infirmary with bandaids, acetamenophen, and meclizine. Infirmaries are typically closed while in port. I do not know if this is typical for all cruiselines.

Archived