AI or cruise? Having trouble deciding.

cruzzza

I'm starting to plan my next vacation. It will probably be a 4 day one. I'm thinking I might want something different. I've debated on trying an All Inclusive (AI) resort. Prices compare with cruising - so that's not a factor. I am thinking that an AI might be more romantic. And there's something about a beach resort that is intriguing. Seems like it might be more laid back and romantic.

As a cruise addict, I'm extremely apprehensive to spend my hard earned vacation time and dollars on anything other than a cruise. I just love cruising, but I also don't want to be narrow minded. I like experiencing new things, but as many of you know - the thought of passing up a cruise is heart wrenching! I do have this nagging feeling, though, that I need to experience something new and different.

I would probably go to a Mexican or Jamaican AI, so if any of you have specific experiences, I'd love to hear about them. Does anyone have any advice to help me make my decision?

I, too have a hard time with going to all inclusives being addicted to cruising as I am-

I guess it would be determing the costs. My son is cruising on the facination for 5 days for 199.00 I dont think a AI could come close to that. Thats for a cruise in Oct.

We are not drinkers so paying the high costs for AI is something that we consider when deciding where to go.

Maybe I should have spelled out ALL-INCLUSIVE in my title!!! Now, if I could cruise for $199 that would be great!!! We usually spend a lot on drinks, so unless the cruise was really cheap, they would average out to cost about the same $. We cruise out of N.O. and Galveston where deals are sometimes harder to find. (I did get a sweet deal on my Jubilee cruise - 5 day 6E ov for $249 Sept. 2003!)

I have done AI's in cancun, mexico and ochos rios, jamaica.

IMHO cruises beat them hands down...but maybe everyone should try it at least once.

Again, IMHO, the food is VERY much cafeteria style/selection/quality, much more so than you see on the ships.

I find I relax more at a place like that cause i don't feel like i should be 'doing' something like bingo, watching shows, etc.

I know i don't HAVE to do stuff on a cruise...i just want to see it all! LOL!

So, I hope you have a great time wherever you go...but my vote will be a cruise every time!

I love cruising, but to be honest, I love AI's much better! I love to go cruising with my family and friends and make a family vacation out of it. I have done both, and I would love to take my family to an AI for a change. To each their own, but sometimes, I like to just stay in one spot and chill on the beach every day!!

Don't get me wrong, I love cruising, but I think you should balance it out. Stayed at the Barcelo in Mexico - (Mayan Riveria - near Playa de Carmen), it has a awesome beach!!

Have fun either way you go!

Steak sauce!!?? I think I'll take a cruise over "A1" anyday!

Hmmmm, I have one reply that likes cruising better, and one that likes AI's. I was leaning towards the Mexican Riviera if I went with an AI. (cheaper than Jamaica is the only reason) I've heard of the Barcelo Maya. I've checked out reviews on TripAdvisor. AI reviews vary wildly. I was concerned about the food at AI's. I love cruise food. Also, several occurrences of theft were mentioned. Then again, I remember some threads about theft on here too. Such a tough decision...

Just to add my 2 cents worth.... speaking as a TA..... I have many clients that rotate cruise and all inclusive land vacation and usually to a port of call they visited on a ship. In MOST CASES, the all inclusive will come out a tad hogher than a cruise. And to be honest with you, unless you are staying a minimum of 4 days, you will often find the value is not that of a cruise when factoring everything in.

Cancun is a wonderful place to do an all inclusive and many of the reosrts are located on some of the most beautiful beaches too. Food will vary depending on the reosrt and budget you are seeking. If not a drinker....and want to dine out and experience the :::flavors::: of the island you are staying at, you can always opt for a "European Plan" that will include the hotel accommodations, taxes and usually the gratuities. So you can have the best of both worlds and EAT WHERE YOU WANT, DRINK WHAT/IF YOU WANTand experience all the island you are visiting has to offer.

I did a four-day Sandals in Jamaica several years ago. We enjoyed it because it was very laid back, which is what we needed. The food was excellent, and the drinks were plentiful, and always available. The best part of it was there was nowhere we HAD to be at any given time. My husband was not a beach person, but even he enjoyed the cabanas on the beach, with servers always nearby. It was a glorious four days!

I prefer cruising these days.......but I think change is always nice. I'm flying to Hawaii for a little land time in the spring.

I think you'll be bored after cruising. If you hadn't cruised before I'd say sure but you're already spoiled, there's no turning back now.

I read your post several times. You want someone to tell you to cruise and forget the All-inclusive.

Here I am: Forget it, cruise, add another fabulous vacation to your memories

Did Fascination on wife's 50th had a great time. Did AI for my 50th last year at Palladium in Riviera Maya fabulous time. This year on the Triumph in Sept, because when we went on Fascination we were docked next to the Triumph and it Both wife and I said we'd love to sail on the bigger ship. As far as pricing it will probably cost us about 1000.00 more for the 7day cruise than the AI did in Sept. We had a fantastic deal at Palladium. One thing to remember the drinks are free at an AI 24/7. Food is very comparable.

I love AI's !!! I go to Jamaica almost every year and there's no getting bored at the resort we go to play at :) Jamaica boasts Adult only resorts which is why I prefer AI's.

I really enjoy cruising to find new places to visit on an AI trip, but I always seem to go back to Jamaica- the people there are wonderful..... I do also go to Cozumel and Cancun, but prefer Jamaica. The resort we stay at averages around $125 - $200 pp per day depending on the season and if they are close to occupancy levels. They have Japanese, Italian, Caribbean, Grills, and Buffets to choose from for meals. The drinks are always flowing (premium!).....

My cruise this year is taking me to 3 places I've always wanted to see, so that way I may decide to spend a week at one of them later on down the road. I love alternating my trips.... It's perfect for me :)

I highly recommend the Sandals/Beaches family of AI's. Sandals is adults only, Beaches is for families. We have stayed at Sandals Negril twice and will go back next year. We also stayed at Beaches Turks & Caicos (got married there).

They offer excursions from the resorts just like the cruise ships do. And best of all (at least to us) is the beach is right there 24 hours a day.

As Cotton noted upthread, you don't have to be anywhere at any given time. What time you eat dinner is your choice.

The dress codes are not as stringent. The most dressed up my husband has to get in Negril is khaki shorts and a collared polo shirt.

The drinks are included, if you order a foo foo drink and don't like it, throw it away and get something else. You don't have to worry about smuggling alcohol.

If you rent a car and go exploring, you don't have to worry about missing the boat.

They also provide airport tranfers so you don't have to worry about renting a car from the airport or taking a taxi.

I enjoy cruising very much. If there is one thing I don't like is the fact that I only have 4 -6 hours in port to enjoy the food, people, and culture of the country I'm visiting.

This year, we are doing an AI in Jamaica. For less than $2000 we are flying R/T, spending 6 nights in Ocho Rios, eating what we want, and drinking what we want.

Next year our Pride cruise is costing us $2300 plus we have to pay for airfare, plus drinks, plus pre-night hotel. We're now up to around 4 grand.

Cruising allows us a short stay somewhere to allow us to decide where we want to come back for a land vacation.

This year, we are doing an AI in Jamaica. For less than $2000 we are flying R/T, spending 6 nights in Ocho Rios, eating what we want, and drinking what we want.

Next year our Pride cruise is costing us $2300 plus we have to pay for airfare, plus drinks, plus pre-night hotel. We're now up to around 4 grand.

Big fat word to this. We spend right at $2000 for 7 nights in Jamaica. Our 5 day cruise is already at $964. Luckily we live in a port city so we don't have any of those associated travel costs.

cruzzza,

Consider these points:

1) Actually being at sea on a ship. If this is something you will miss, you won't be happy at a resort. However, you will have to conform to this ship's schedule, which is more stringent than a resort.

2) Visting multiple ports. If you like the idea of 3 islands in 7 days, you won't be happy at a resort. However, you may only have 6 hours at a certain port.

Have a great time whichever you choose.

Email me if you have any specific questions about Sandals.

perryandmichelle(at)yahoo(dot)com

You will get various different views of Food at AI's - everyone has different tastes and expectations. I loved the Barcelo Maya Resort (Riveria Maya)food, but more importantly, the beach was gorgeous, with lots of palm trees for shade, huge free form pools (one active, one quiet), lots of entertainment, if you wanted, horse back riding, mini golf, shows, 2 swim up bars....But the beach is what I enjoyed the most!! Almost 2 miles of beach front! Awesome!!

There was so much to do, or nothing at all. Went into the town of Playa de Carmen, took a ferry to Cozumel, saw the ruins, and snorkled at Xel Ha. Had a blast!

You don't have to have a Sign and Sail card, don't have to sign for drinks, you don't have to carry a wallet or purse!!

I love cruising, and I love AI's - Anything that gets me away from work!!

Been to a Super Club in Jamaica, been to Barcelo Maya in Mexico - The Super club has better service, but you pay for it. Barcelo Maya was just fine for me for the price...

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Chris, you may be right, I might be looking for someone to tell me, JUST CRUISE, YOU FOOL!!!!

Yes, if I go the way of the landlubbers, I WILL miss being out on the ocean and being on the ship! Then again, I've run myself ragged trying not to "miss" anything on my previous cruises. Maybe it would be nice to have nothing more to do than lay on the beach. Then again, I might be bored.

I'm so glad to hear from some of you that have actually been to some of the places I was considering. {pholter, which AI were you talking about?}

Oh, I and I DO understand cruising!!! Why do you think it's so hard when I want to try something else??? ;) I really do thank you guys for helping me make up my mind. My husband is overseas right now and I'm wanting our trip upon his return to be as romantic as possible. I thought maybe an AI would be more romantic than a cruise??? It's gonna be a tough decision. I think I'm gonna go buy the Resorts & Great Hotels 2004 guidebook tonight and look through it.

Archived