Kiwi Ian

Weather Bunny

I was wondering if you might have some info about touring Tauranga and Auckland for a group of 20??? This would be for the Sapphire cruise on 2/28. Any help would be great.

Sounds like we'll be on the same cruise, and for the life of me I'm trying to figure out what to do in Tauranga as well, I even wonder why we're porting there. We're interested in hiring a private guide/car and letting them do the driving. Has anyone have any suggestions?

....for the life of me I'm trying to figure out what to do in Tauranga as well, I even wonder why we're porting there. We're interested in hiring a private guide/car and letting them do the driving. Has anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.rotoruanz.com/activities/sightseeing.asp

This is why the ships dock at Tauranga - approx 50 miles away.

Tauranga - New Zealand

Rotorua (some miles inland from the port of Tauranga) is the center of New Zealand's thermal area on the North Island. Spectacular phenomena such as geysers, boiling mud, hot pools, hot springs, and spouts of gushing steam can be seen. Lake Rotorua's waters are icy, yet the sandy shores are too warm for bare feet to walk upon. Rotorua is also the center of Maori life and culture, with a model village, displays of carving, and concerts of Maori music and singing. Tauranga, meaning "shelter" (named by Capt. Cook the Bay of Plenty), with its population of 48,000, is now a modern thriving city supported by the export of lumber and farming. This popular holiday resort is a paradise for deep-sea fishermen, and close to the golden sands of Ohope Beach for surfing and swimming.

Points of Interest: Rotorua Hot Springs, the Tauranga Historic Village, Kiwifruit Country, Prestons Winery, Durham Light Winery, the Kati Kati Bird Gardens, Mayor Island (big game fishing center)

I was wondering if you might have some info about touring Tauranga and Auckland for a group of 20??? This would be for the Sapphire cruise on 2/28. Any help would be great.

Well, how much time have you got. Here we go again [ i did the same post a while back].

Local

Maori culture and historic sights.

The best in NZ, up and around our Mount Maunganui, just 15 minutes walk from the sgip.

Spend the day browsing the shops, cafes etc again just a 5 minute walk from the ship.

The best beaches in NZ, again 10 minutes walk from the ship.

visit a war birds museum and fly in an historic aircraft or just visit the museum.

Try skydiving, a 5 minute taxi ride from the ship.

Have a go on a commercial 737 jet simulator.

Take a helicopter flight to White Island [or anywhere else for that matter]

Take a fixed wing scenic flight.

Try some sea fishing.

Trout fishing, lake or river.

Hike through some great mountain tracks.

Visit the Waihi Gold mining town.

Try one [or all] of our 3 local wineries.

Visit Kiwi360 at Te Puke, the home of the kiwi fruit.

Go Jet Boating at Longridge, 25 minutes from the ship.

Visit the LOTR movie set at Hobbiton [ a 45 minute drive away]

Go Kayaking [sea or river].

Horse trecking along the beaches at Maketu.

Swim in the Hot Thermal salt water pools [10 minute walk from the ship].

Learn to surf [we have the only artifical surf reef in NZ]

Further away.

Rotorua with all the geothermals etc.

Waitomo, a 2 hour drive for the Glow worm caves etc

Taupo, again a 2 hour drive to see the awesome Huka Falls.

If you want a real action packed day then find a good local tour company who can package some of the above into a great day.

Feedback has shown that tauranga is one of the most liked ports of call on the AUS/NZ circuit, where else can you get such a range of activities, in a great envorinment within just a few minutes walk from the ships gangway.

Dont eveb take the ships shuttle into town at $4 US each way, the local bus which runs more frequently from just out side the port gate is $6 NZ for a full day rover pass.

The local I-site just a 5 minute walk from ths ship can sell you local 3 hour tours at $49 NZ plus full day tours to Rotorua for around $130 NZ.

Hope that helps. Regards Kiwiian from the great Mount Maunganui, where we have some real Classics to enjoy

Well, how much time have you got. Here we go again [ i did the same post a while back].

Local

Maori culture and historic sights.

The best in NZ, up and around our Mount Maunganui, just 15 minutes walk from the sgip.

Spend the day browsing the shops, cafes etc again just a 5 minute walk from the ship.

The best beaches in NZ, again 10 minutes walk from the ship.

visit a war birds museum and fly in an historic aircraft or just visit the museum.

Try skydiving, a 5 minute taxi ride from the ship.

Have a go on a commercial 737 jet simulator.

Take a helicopter flight to White Island [or anywhere else for that matter]

Take a fixed wing scenic flight.

Try some sea fishing.

Trout fishing, lake or river.

Hike through some great mountain tracks.

Visit the Waihi Gold mining town.

Try one [or all] of our 3 local wineries.

Visit Kiwi360 at Te Puke, the home of the kiwi fruit.

Go Jet Boating at Longridge, 25 minutes from the ship.

Visit the LOTR movie set at Hobbiton [ a 45 minute drive away]

Go Kayaking [sea or river].

Horse trecking along the beaches at Maketu.

Swim in the Hot Thermal salt water pools [10 minute walk from the ship].

Learn to surf [we have the only artifical surf reef in NZ]

Feedback has shown that tauranga is one of the most liked ports of call on the AUS/NZ circuit, where else can you get such a range of activities, in a great envorinment within just a few minutes walk from the ships gangway.

Dont eveb take the ships shuttle into town at $4 US each way, the local bus which runs more frequently from just out side the port gate is $6 NZ for a full day rover pass.

The local I-site just a 5 minute walk from ths ship can sell you local 3 hour tours at $49 NZ plus full day tours to Rotorua for around $130 NZ.

Hope that helps. Regards Kiwiian from the great Mount Maunganui, where we have some real Classics to enjoy

Good Evening Kiwi Ian,

Thanks for posting this - Tauranga will be our last full day in NZ and I was in two minds as to what to do because I have seen Maori culture and sulphur springs etc before, but didn't want to stay around the port if there was not enough to do.

Are there any good restaurants with nice coastal views etc near Tauranga to complete our day walking/browsing there? Roughly how far are the wineries and can you catch a local bus there?

Much appreciated,

Linda

Linda

Click on the banner at the top of this thread - Mt Classics Tours

You will find they can help

cheers

Thanks Flipper:)

An another subject, I see you have a link to cricket on your posts - as I'm English, I think I'll forget I saw that link!!:p :o :p

• 4 months later...

I have the same question. A private tour for our group of 19 - but clicking on Mount Classics and trying to find some thing for Auckland is not working - either i'm not too bright or something. I know I'm frustrated. I find only one website to check out and it says he specializes in royalty etc, with lexus cars. I was thinking more of a regular person tour where we could be in the same vehicle. I don't need fancy - just a great tour -together. Can anyone suggest another tour operator? :confused:

Archived