Cruise on Sovereign

SusieV

Hi,

I'm generally a Celebrity cruiser along with my husband, but a few friends and I are talking about taking a short cruise for our annual get-together, and RCI is more in our price range.

We're looking at one of the late April sailings of Sovereign. I haven't cruised RCI for about ten years, since I was a teenager. Neither of my friends has ever cruised at all. What can you tell me about Sovereign and her 4 night Bahamas sailings?

Also, I see the inside cabins are MUCH smaller than I'm used to. The three of us were planning on sharing a cabin to save costs. How tight is it with three adults? Thankfully the other two are male so won't need as much time in the washroom or space in the closet! :D

I'm also used to the formality of Celebrity. Are there formal nights on these short sailings and if so, what is considered appropriate attire? I love to dress up but neither of my friends owns a tux and they probably won't want to pay to rent one. I don't want them to feel out of place if I wear a gown.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

My wife and I were on the Sovereign in 1988(yes 88) when it travelled on an Eastern itin. I believe the ship was refurbished in 2005 because the suites which are on deck 10 have balconies. In 1988 I think only the owner's suite had a balcony. Also Johnnie Rocket was added. The rooms are rather small compared to the Voyager class ship which my family travelled this past June on the Naviigator. We are going on the Soveriegn in 2008 (Almost 20 yrs to the day of our original cruise)on a 4 day and we are in an SO cat(3 persons). At 157 sq ft, it is larger than the standard OV at 122 sq ft. I'm not familiar with the inside rooms. I believe there is one formal night on 4 night cruises. I just brought a suit rather than renting a tux when we were on the Navigator. I can't remember in '88 what I did. I hope this was helpful.

Hi,

I'm generally a Celebrity cruiser along with my husband, but a few friends and I are talking about taking a short cruise for our annual get-together, and RCI is more in our price range.

We're looking at one of the late April sailings of Sovereign. I haven't cruised RCI for about ten years, since I was a teenager. Neither of my friends has ever cruised at all. What can you tell me about Sovereign and her 4 night Bahamas sailings?

Also, I see the inside cabins are MUCH smaller than I'm used to. The three of us were planning on sharing a cabin to save costs. How tight is it with three adults? Thankfully the other two are male so won't need as much time in the washroom or space in the closet! :D

I'm also used to the formality of Celebrity. Are there formal nights on these short sailings and if so, what is considered appropriate attire? I love to dress up but neither of my friends owns a tux and they probably won't want to pay to rent one. I don't want them to feel out of place if I wear a gown.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

If you are used to Celebrity, you probably will be disappointed with Soverign. We just did a 4 night on her and we were very disappointed. Nothing was awful but nothing was good either. The inside cabins are VERY SMALL...I can't imagine 3 adults in one cabin! In 4 days we never met our cabin steward! We are on the Voyager in April which I am told is much better...hopefully it is!

The shorter cruises are night and day different than cruises seven days or longer regardless of cruise line. They draw a different type of cruiser. One that is looking for a quick get away to party and gamble or just something less expensive than a week long cruise. The dress code will be much different than what you see on the longer cruises. If you go into this cruise expecting what you have experienced on the longer Celebrity cruises then you will be disappointed. The cruises are less expensive for a reason.

We just did the 4 night last week also. It was our first smaller ship and our first short cruise. We had a great time!!! We had a Junior Suite so room size was not an issue. We did meet another couple who said the inside cabins were VERY small. Our cabin steward 'Brian' was great. Dueling pianos is a 'must see'. No, there was not the 'newness' or the elegance we've seen on past cruises, but then the trip is what you make it! Go and have fun!!! (I would rethink three people in an inside, though!)

My husband and I have sailed on the Sovereign several times before and after her refurbishment. We have only stayed in outside cabins but I'm told from others that the inside one are quite small. Since her makeover she really shines and we have never been disappointed with the crew. Spend a little extra for an outside cabin and wear whatever you want on formal night. I've seen everything from tuxs and formal gowns to suits w/ or w/o ties and cocktail dresses to Dockers and capris. Enjoy and have a cool frosty Coco Loco for me on Coco Cay:D

Don't worry, I am not expecting it to be like a Celebrity cruise, and my friends have no expectations since they've never cruised. I warned them that the cabins are small, but the outsides are only 3 square feet larger for $100 more so they don't feel that it's worth it. One of us paying the single supplement would put this out of our reach budgetwise.

Is the food still good on short cruises at least? Is there lots to do during the day?

I know I'll hate the announcements but that's life.

Don't worry, I am not expecting it to be like a Celebrity cruise, and my friends have no expectations since they've never cruised. I warned them that the cabins are small, but the outsides are only 3 square feet larger for $100 more so they don't feel that it's worth it. One of us paying the single supplement would put this out of our reach budgetwise.

Is the food still good on short cruises at least? Is there lots to do during the day?

I know I'll hate the announcements but that's life.

We love the Sovereign and will be going on her again this weekend. Don't worry about formality too much for the guys, a suit is just fine. Like someone already said, much less formal then longer cruises. I think the food on the Sovereign is good. We sail RCI all the time and they serve the same menus on the large ships, but the Sovereign's food just seems better. I think they try to hook the first time cruisers.

Yes, the cabin will be small for 3. We usually book an outside on deck 2 or 3 and it is small but for 4 days you can do it. We used to stay 4 in a cabin that size and we managed when my kids were younger.

Sovereign has a great crew and although the ship is older it's still in pretty good shape. Since her refurb. she's looking even better. They already have the new bedding so that will help too.

Just go in with an open mind and don't expect fancy. You'll love her.

Archived