? about the Synagogue in St. Thomas

Sandi149

Hi,

My husband and I will be in St. Thomas this June and have a couple ?? for those who have visited the Synagogue in Charlotte Amalie. I was reading some things on this board saying that it's in a bad neighborhood. Just how bad is bad and what do they mean by bad? Desolute, drug infested, etc? I also read that its very high up on a hill. Approximately how long of a climb is it? Is it easy to get to from the Main St. shopping district? Also, is it an Orthodox synagogue? Since we will be wearing shorts, if it's orthodox I doubt they would let us in dressed like that? Also, would they allow us to take pictures inside the building?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

The synagogue is not in a "bad" daytime neighborhood - it's not suggested that visitors walk around that area at night. There USED to be heavier drug dealing in that neighborhood a few years ago, and people were being relieved of their valuables by those with unsavory habits. However, I haven't heard of any of those problems in years, and I see tourists in the area every day. The synagogue offices are right across the street, and there's a caretaker and office personnel on-site.

No, it's not Orthodox - I think it's Reform. I see many tourists heading there in shorts, though conservative shorts.

I don't think there's a restriction against taking pictures inside. I've seen several pictures, and I think there's one posted online somewhere. I do think they sell postcards showing the inside, though.

The hill. The synagogue is located two blocks behind Main Street, so it's right in town. It's a fairly steep hill, but it's short if you make a right at Mr. Tablecloth (I think that's the street) on Main Street, walk two blocks, and make the left. If someone directs you to go to Garden Street and make left, the climb is a little longer, but it gradually gets steeper.

Hope this answers all your questions, and I do hope you decide to visit the synagogue and other historic sights in St Thomas.

The synagogue is not in a "bad" daytime neighborhood - it's not suggested that visitors walk around that area at night. There USED to be heavier drug dealing in that neighborhood a few years ago, and people were being relieved of their valuables by those with unsavory habits. However, I haven't heard of any of those problems in years, and I see tourists in the area every day. The synagogue offices are right across the street, and there's a caretaker and office personnel on-site.

No, it's not Orthodox - I think it's Reform. I see many tourists heading there in shorts, though conservative shorts.

I don't think there's a restriction against taking pictures inside. I've seen several pictures, and I think there's one posted online somewhere. I do think they sell postcards showing the inside, though.

The hill. The synagogue is located two blocks behind Main Street, so it's right in town. It's a fairly steep hill, but it's short if you make a right at Mr. Tablecloth (I think that's the street) on Main Street, walk two blocks, and make the left. If someone directs you to go to Garden Street and make left, the climb is a little longer, but it gradually gets steeper.

Hope this answers all your questions, and I do hope you decide to visit the synagogue and other historic sights in St Thomas.

Thank you so much for your reply. :) We won't be there at night, we will be there in the morning on a shopping tour on Main St and I figured since the temple isn't too far from there we would go.

Thanks for the shorter directions. I am definitely looking forward to seeing it.

We visited the synagogue, Congregation of Blessing and Peace and Loving Deeds, and walked there and back in broad daylight. Not a bad neighborhood, but it is up a steep hill. I remember seeing shirts in the gift shop that had the slogan "I survived Synagogue Hill."

Jodi

Archived