Passports: how long did it take for yours?

familyreunion

I mailed mine on 2-9 and they received it on 2-12. I had the renewal expidited because of what I've read here, but when I check for status it says info not available. I called and they said it takes 2-3 days after the check I sent clears. It's been 2 and a half weeks and nothing. Does anyone know how fast the expiditing service takes? I am renewing an expired passport.. also have a name change

Rec'd ours yesterday exactly 7 weeks to the day. Thank God. I can now relax well maybe not.:D

Ours arrived yesterday also, exactly 7 weeks. I was getting more nervous each day when checking the online status and the date would be pushed back.

DH calling passport office for like 3 hours last night and started again this mornign at 7 am.....just keeps getting hung up on. he is not happy. He needs to get the passport expedited since the processing date says we'll get it the day we leave....so not working.

Further Update: NYC to Phil certified, return receipt. 2/14 PO says it was delivered 2/16 BUT receipt finally came back today stamped CITIGROUP 2/18.

My best guess is that the address is lockbox with Citicorp where the check is

extracted( when they get around to it) then the papers go off to the passport people. Noteably, as of today, my check has not cleared , nor am I listed on the passpot site. Pick a number for the days of delay 4, 5 ,6, due to this apparent system..

DH calling passport office for like 3 hours last night and started again this mornign at 7 am.....just keeps getting hung up on. he is not happy. He needs to get the passport expedited since the processing date says we'll get it the day we leave....so not working.

I called last night at 9pm est, I was on hold till 11:15pm est...THEN I WAS DROPPED!!!! I find it hard to believe that it wasn't done intentionally! I called this morning at 7:05am est and was speaking with a very nice person at 7:35am. I told her what happened the night before and she apologized and said it has been very busy, but doesn't know why that happened. It appears that they need more help!:eek: Very frustrating! I have been waiting for my passport for over 6 weeks now and she told me it should be here by 3/14, if not to call back! (If I have to call back, I'll make sure it's 7:am again!)

I know that the Passport offices has been very very busy because of the new law that went into effect in January.

I know that passports can take up to 6 weeks, but how long before the feds cash your check?

I ask because I sent in my renewal application two weeks ago and they have not cashed my check. I know they received the application. I always thought that the feds would cash the check first and then start processing.

I just need mine by the end of may.

I know that the Passport offices has been very very busy because of the new law that went into effect in January.

I know that passports can take up to 6 weeks, but how long before the feds cash your check?

I ask because I sent in my renewal application two weeks ago and they have not cashed my check. I know they received the application. I always thought that the feds would cash the check first and then start processing.

I just need mine by the end of may.

I am sure you won't have any trouble getting yours. I sent mine in on January 29th and I am not seeing anything on tracking. I just needed a name change so I am not sure if I am supposed to track it under my maiden or married name, so I do both and still nothing. My check has not been cashed either. OH WHAT FUN!!!

Ok.. I have an update. I didn't send mine in on the 29th like I thought, I sent it in on the 5th of FEBRUARY... jeez.. scatterbrain! Anyway, this morning I finally see that my check has cleared but still I see nothing when I put my info in online on the passport website.. But at least my check was cashed... Just thought I would let you all know.

Janet

Has anyone sent in an EXPIDATED requested passport? How long is the process these days? They say 2 weeks, anybody out there know?

Mine took between 1 and 2 weeks, but they sent my boyfriend's passport to another person entirely, and he still hasn't gotten it (3 weeks later)!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=508441

Hi Cathy, When did you mail your app.? And when did it arrive compared to the date you were told to expect it? Just wondering for comparison, etc.

We mailed mid Jan, supposed to receive them back mid March - but with all of the delays I don't know if I can trust them. We sail 4/8. Nervous? Yes, a bit, but know that we can use our birth cert's but it is the principal of the thing that we applied in time.

In fact I think that might be a good new thread - has anyone NOT received their passports when promised. Hummmm. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Steph

Rec'd ours yesterday exactly 7 weeks to the day. Thank God. I can now relax well maybe not.:D

Applied for mine on January 3 and received the passport on Feb 5 with no specific time mentioned for travel. I thought that was incredibly quick for the State Department. It came priority mail in a heavy duty envelope with my original birth certificate folded up inside it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Finally...I'm in the system! I feel like a celebrity.. Mailed my expidited passport on 2-9, expidited it.. and now they say on or about 3-13.. so that's 4-5 weeks for EXPIDITED.. anyone thinking of doing it.. don't waste time and send it!!

Here is an update from the State Department's website.

Passport Processing Times Have Increased Due to High Volume.

If you apply And Choose You will receive your passport within about

At a Passport Acceptance Facility*

or

By Mail (for renewal, additional pages, and amendment)

Routine Service10 Weeks**Expedited Service

Plus Overnight delivery service for:

Sending your application and Returning your passport to you

3-4 Weeks***

It looks like some states are much faster than others. I applied 1/25 for mine and have been trying to expedite it as I need it for 3/13. When I applied I was told it should be there w/no problem. I looked online last week and saw that it's scheduled for 3/28!!! I called and waited several hours to get through to an operator and was told to wait till this week to call if I still haven't rec'd it. (I mentioned that you can't get through on that tel line and she said that was all I could do) Well, I tried calling several times last night and this morning and I get dropped no matter what. (I even called at 7:am when the lines first open) Keep getting dropped! I gave up trying to call and went to the website and wrote to them via email, which they say will take 2 days just to respond to that! This is the Boston area, I'm not too sure I'll have that passport in time. Good Luck to you all!

I took my three sons for passports on 1/22. The people in thw clerk of the court office said no problem to get it back by 3/10. Monday I called and they told me it wouldn't be until at leaST 3/22. I had them expedite them at that point but no telling if they'll be back. Good Luck to all:confused:

A friend of ours said that her niece worried about her passport and actually called our US senator. They said they'd look into it, and three days later she had it. I called his office today and the secretary said she'd call back tomorrow.

Has anyone else had luck with this? I figured that there was nothing to lose. ????

I took my three sons for passports on 1/22. The people in thw clerk of the court office said no problem to get it back by 3/10. Monday I called and they told me it wouldn't be until at leaST 3/22. I had them expedite them at that point but no telling if they'll be back. Good Luck to all./quote]

How or what did you tell them when you called to get them to expedite your application? When I called they said we'd have to wait till a week before our travel date before they'd expedite ours. :confused:

We applyied on 1/19 and got our first delivery date of 3/12 2 weeks later.

On March 8 the date changed to 3/31:(

On March 9 the date changed to 4/1:mad:

On March 11 it changed t 4/2.:eek:

On our applications we gave them a travel date of 4/1.

None of this makes any sense at all. If it's true they're working on the applications by travel date I don't understand why ours is pushed back when others are receiving their actual passports.

Thank goodness we have received copies of our birth certificates and can sail with those, but it's now become a issue of principle. I'll be on the phone in the morning trying to get someone who can or will do something to try and speed this up. After that call I will be calling our representative in DC. Some may ask why bother them when we can sail without the passports. The answer is because we applied for them, paid for them, were told we'd have them in plenty of time, were refused the opportunity to expedite them when we applied at the P.O., and we want what we were told we'd get.

Good luck to all - those who are calling, waiting, and traveling.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all and sending positive thoughts that you'll all receive your passports before your trips.

By the way - has anyone 'not' received their passport in time to travel?

After making a quick call to my US Representative, I received my passport over a month ahead of what the internet check showed that I would receive it. This is also true for the couple that we're going with on the cruise.

We did not originally plan on getting passports since we were leaving out of Galveston, and we were being cheap. Once we decided to go ahead and apply, it was less than six weeks from our cruise. When I saw that the government site showed me getting my passport in April (we cruise on March 19th), I went ahead and made the call. His assistant could not have been nicer or more helpful. I am not endorsing the Representative, but I was amazed that his staff was so helpful. I may even end up voting for the guy, now.:D

I hope this advice helps someone out.

Archived