Am I Crazy!! to drive cross country..

galvezhome

Am i crazy to drive cross country from Oklahoma to Miami!!??????????

I just hate to pay so much for airfare (more than the cruise itself!!!) and i just absoutley hate to fly! I'm still young enough to drive and enjoy it, and would enjoy taking the time a few days before the cruise to drive down there. Is this crazy??!!! Whats your opinion?? Can it be done??? Do i need a trip to the looney bin?? :p

''Am i crazy to drive cross country from Oklahoma to Miami!!??????????"

If you are crazy then we are also. We will be Driving to Miami for our cruise from Missouri. We will be seeing a different part of the country that we have not seen. Also get to have a longer vacation.

Have a good drive

FryGirl :D

If you have the time, there's absolutely nothing crazy about driving from Oklahoma to Miami. I've driven cross-country (NY to CA) twice - it's a great way to see parts of the country that you would never ordinarily see. I say go for it!

I guess i'm another crazy one also, we have driven twice from California to New Orleans.

Then i discovered something called an air plane, and also discovered that it was cheaper to fly than to drive and i would get there in 4 hours instead of 42 hours;)

Sure i would do it again if i had no time frame but i don't think my family would be willing to come along with me again.

We have driven 4 times from Fort Lauderdale (our home) to the west. The latest was from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, Canada, we stopped & sightseed and had a great time.

It isn't cheaper than flying but so much more fun. Enjoy, MaryAnn

If you are going coast to coast there are relatively cheap fares but not from OK(We have relatives in Lawton, we go back occassionally) We always fly. Its a long trip. Driving is the most dangerous way to go. I hate to tell you how many funerals I have gone to where people-young people- have fallen asleep and died. Yes I know it can't happen to you. Its generally not cheaper to fly for two with hotels and gas and time and when you get to NY you will have to park your car which can almost cost as much as an airline ticket for one(clearly the cost of a roundtrip from Florida). Would I drive? No. I would fly....

I am driving from Dallas to Port Canaveral. We will leave Friday morning and get there Saturday afternoon. That will be my time to de-compress before we get on the ship. I enjoy a good road trip. I guess if I had to worry about dying while driving my car, I should never leave the house.

We considered driving to Houston from Oregon for a cruise. Until I did a full cost analysis, that is. By the time we factored in a couple of nights in a hotel on the way, gas, and food we came to the conclusion that it was quite a bit cheaper to fly. But we were considering food, etc. for a family of four, so your costs may be less. (As a side note, I probably would have been crazy by the time we got to Houston, given how much my daughter loves to talk and sing. She once sang the ABC's all the way from Central Oregon to our home in Western Oregon - a three plus hour drive.)

If you are doing it primarily to save money, I would sit down and do a spreadsheet - you may be surprised.

No, you are not crazy. Road trips are the greatest.

We have driven the entire U.S. Not all at once, but on many different occasions to different locations.

We have flown, and also taken the train.

Driving gives us the flexibility and control which we prefer. You really cannot see much from an airplane. Train travel did not suit us at all.

I do agree that it is more expensive to drive, but the memories of all of the beauty across the country is wonderful.

Anytime that we can drive instead of fly - that will be the way we go.

I agree that when time is of the essence, flying is the only way to go.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the opinons and support,but we decided that flying would be more economical and cant take off work for that period of time. Oh well, no big deal, i just hate to fly, i have super sensitive ears and flying brings me to tears. Any suggestions on that? The fullness and popping doesnt bother me, its the decesending that kills me.:(

Thanks for the opinons and support,but we decided that flying would be more economical and cant take off work for that period of time. Oh well, no big deal, i just hate to fly, i have super sensitive ears and flying brings me to tears. Any suggestions on that? The fullness and popping doesnt bother me, its the decesending that kills me.:(

My doctor suggested that i take 2 decongestants about an hour before i fly, I tryed it and now never leave for the airport without it.

I have not had a problem with my ears feeling like they are going to explode sense.

Thanks Caribbean Dreams, i will definetly try that, now is that like sudafed a nasal decongestion? Or something different? I'm ready to try anything, even thought about taking some strong pain meds to see if that helps and to knock me out!:p And drinking may not be out of the question either, lol even though i really dont drink!

Thanks Caribbean Dreams, i will definetly try that, now is that like sudafed a nasal decongestion? Or something different? I'm ready to try anything, even thought about taking some strong pain meds to see if that helps and to knock me out!:p And drinking may not be out of the question either, lol even though i really dont drink!

Yes, i us Sudafed, 2 before i fly.

My daughter also was having the same painful problem as me so last time she flew at had her take them and she had no problems.

If you decide to try it, let us know if it helped for you also.

Archived