Captain Nautica's Snorkeling Expedition

Paula B

Paula,

We did this in 2004 and it was a blast! If you can get the am tour, do so. because it is a speed boat, you will be the 1st to the stop before all the other excursions dump off their snorkelers.

They took us first to see the turtles-AWESOME!!! We stayed for about 60 min. We have great pics

58572686-M.jpg

Just as we were leaving, 3 tour boats unloaded. There were only 20 of us.

Then next stop was around the corner to a shipwreck, it was REALLY crowded and we only stayed for 20 min.

They gave us some refreshments and then off to the 3rd stop that was incredible!! I believe the name was St. James the Great. We were the only ones other than about 8 scuba divers who passed through.

The speed boat ride is also part of the fun. It is bumpy, fast and fun.

Top notch set up, very helpful,they had underwater cameras for those who forgot, they had noodles and kick boards for those who were less comfortable snorkeling.

They are not pushy about a tip, but the $10 we gave them was adequate, but I wish I had given them more. We had Morgan and her husband for our guides.

127389707-M.jpg

Morgan is standing at the front. This was the afternoon group returning.

My wife and I have taken 3 cruises into St. Thomas in the last several years and we took the afternoon trip on each ocasion on Catp. N's. We'd shop or rent a jeep in the morning (right off the boat first thing, or forget it). , grab a quick lunch onboard ship and head out to meet the CN crew right by the ship. The people at CN were great, they take you to two places for snorkeling and a quick trip back lots of fun and great snorkeling. You'll enjoy!!

We just can't wait the trip sounds wonderful. The pictures are great and I hope we can see turtles while we are on our trip. We are booked for the afternoon tour but, there is only 1 other ship in that day so hopefully it won't be that crowded.

Thanks again, Paula B.

We did this excursion last July, and it was the best snorkeling trip we've ever done, hands down. The turtles are cool, but the other stop - at Wreck Cove - was even better. Don't bother taking pictures of the coral reef at Turtle Cove. The coral at Wreck Cove is MUCH prettier. I also spotted a turtle at Wreck Cove.

Another poster mentioned this, but I will re-emphasize, the boat only holds 16 people, so you don't spend your whole time in the water dodging kicks in the face from swim fins. Also, the fact that the boat moves fast means more time in the water.

Have fun!

• 5 months later...
We did this excursion last July, and it was the best snorkeling trip we've ever done, hands down. The turtles are cool, but the other stop - at Wreck Cove - was even better. Don't bother taking pictures of the coral reef at Turtle Cove. The coral at Wreck Cove is MUCH prettier. I also spotted a turtle at Wreck Cove.

Another poster mentioned this, but I will re-emphasize, the boat only holds 16 people, so you don't spend your whole time in the water dodging kicks in the face from swim fins. Also, the fact that the boat moves fast means more time in the water.

Have fun!

This is getting me sooo excited! I would love to hear more about Wreck Cove! Were there a lot of fish? Was the wrecked ship far below the surface, or was it fairly close to where you were swimming? We have never been to a wreck and are so excited!!!

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are interested in Captain Nautica's I just want to warn people that if they do not have a full boat of paying customers they will cancell the trip. We had this excursion booked for over three months for August 6th through Princess (they will not allow you to book it with them directly). The day before arriving in St Thomas we were advised by Princess that the excursion was cancelled by the company due to a lack of people (only 6 were booked). By then, all other snorkelling excursions were fully booked. I would recommend that you have a back-up plan. We undertand the logic, but would have appreciated some kind of warning that this could happen.

Archived